BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

06 Mustang build

5 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

06 Mustang build - Page 3 Empty Re: 06 Mustang build

Post  curiousgeorge April 29th 2024, 10:46 pm

BigBlockRanger wrote:Man, I had high hopes that those would be close to working.
I was too. If they will take these back I think I’m just going to wait out having a set built. But I believe I have talked myself into putting a tubular K member in so they have more room to work with. I’ve looked at the hooker BBc swap headers and I’m am pretty sure they are the same as the dynatech I have so I don’t think it’s worth trying them.

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Post  curiousgeorge May 1st 2024, 8:59 pm

The big block gods may have smiled on me today. I should have a NOS set of hooker foxbody headers this weekend!

curiousgeorge

BigBlockRanger likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  curiousgeorge May 3rd 2024, 6:41 pm

A set of 6224 Hooker foxbody headers. These should make things a lot easier once I get the new K member in.
06 Mustang build - Page 3 Img_6626

curiousgeorge

BigBlockRanger and Mark Miller like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  curiousgeorge May 9th 2024, 7:47 pm

Well finally got all the parts and had some time to start putting it back together.  I bought an AJE tubular K member, and their motor mounts. I swapped the rack onto it and started bolting it in and the spent a good 45 minutes trying to put the motor mount on the wrong side and wondering why the bolt holes weren't lining up.  After I got that straightened out and everything bolted down it ended up moving the motor forward 1" maybe a little more, then I started on the headers.  The drivers side is hitting the control arm mount and the passenger side is close but the collector is hitting the floor I have a 3.5' V band so I think I'm going to cut the 3 bolt flange off and weld the V band on. Next time I get a chance to go work on it I am going to try taking the motor mounts and dropping the engine down and back where it was and see how the headers fit.  If I can get the fit close I will build new mounts and go from there. I actually have a bolt in each side holding the header to the head so they are pretty close to fitting just going to have to do a little work.  

06 Mustang build - Page 3 Img_6712
06 Mustang build - Page 3 Img_6710
06 Mustang build - Page 3 Img_6711
06 Mustang build - Page 3 Img_6714
06 Mustang build - Page 3 Img_6713

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Post  curiousgeorge May 10th 2024, 6:24 pm

WE HAVE HEADERS!!!!!  I decided that the first thing I would do today was to remove the AJE motor mounts and move the engine back where I had it originally.  I took them off and pulled the engine back and hooked the trans crossmember back up and started working on putting the headers on.  I started on the passenger side and it was simple 15 minute as everything hooked up pretty easy, I may have to reroute my starter wires,  I'm not sure how much room they need since they are wrapped in heat shield but I can barley get my finger between them.  Then I moved to the drivers side, I removed the #6 & #8 tubes and the header went in easy, #6  went in and bolted up then I had to remove it to get the steering shaft back where it belongs and had to massage the tube to clear the steering shaft.  I pulled everything back out and went to the trouble tube #8.  I had 2 options either completely rework #8 and try rerouting it or notch the frame to clear the tube.  I had some pics that were sent to me where they had notched the frame then re worked it and decided to go that route.  I put the tube in and marked the frame and started cutting in & out 3 times to trim more out I got it to clear and pulled it out and started putting the puzzle back together, take the steering shaft loose and tubes out and piece it all back together in the car. Everything went in and cleared the steering shaft once hooked up! The shaft is pretty tight but I think it will be ok. if not I can clearance it a little more.  Now I have to build new motor mounts and get the frame boxed back in and that hurdle will be behind us.

06 Mustang build - Page 3 Img_6717
06 Mustang build - Page 3 Img_6716
06 Mustang build - Page 3 Img_6715

I had previously worked on getting my pulleys on and lined ups while back and needed a 5/8" spacer for my crank pulley.  When your brother in law is a machinist you get a nice aluminum spacer built.  I got the balancer reinstalled and set the radiator in to make sure I had clearance.  I have right at 1/2" between the pulley and the fan motor.  

06 Mustang build - Page 3 Img_6719
06 Mustang build - Page 3 Img_6718

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller May 10th 2024, 11:22 pm

Isn't it nice when you make progress FYI not sure if you knew this but the 5.0 Mustang Crank Pulley bolts right onto a 460 harmonic balancer!!And my water pump pulley is also from a 5.0 Mustang with the water pump hole reamed out larger to fit 460 water pump!!

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  curiousgeorge May 11th 2024, 9:44 am

Mark Miller wrote:Isn't it nice when you make progress FYI not sure if you knew this but the 5.0 Mustang Crank Pulley bolts right onto a 460 harmonic balancer!!And my water pump pulley is also from a 5.0 Mustang with the water pump hole reamed out larger to fit 460 water pump!!
It will bolt to a factory balancer. This ATI uses 3 bolt instead of 4. And I needed to space it out 5/8 to line up with the water pump pulley.

curiousgeorge

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3