BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

couple of bad things about the ecoboost

+13
yellowhorse7
lghting94
D's557BBF
Lem Evans
IDT-572
dfree383
69bluehotrod
richter69
Mark Miller
Race Ready Fabrications
jcoxracing
69F100
bruno
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

couple of bad things about the ecoboost  - Page 2 Empty Re: couple of bad things about the ecoboost

Post  bruno June 22nd 2011, 9:28 am

IDT-572 wrote:
richter69 wrote:you and snake can race tow rigs at the bash...........loaded or empty it dont matter........... Laughing

I have driven one and it wont pull with my chipped up power stroke, but the one I drove with the traction control off, it would annihilate the tires in fist gear and pulled like a freight train till I let out of it big torque early and continuous. .................... Shocked

It has the power , just don't know about the truck weight and a big in closed trailer.

if i still had my 28' enclosed deal i would have never bought this truck ....period !!! it is a great light truck for what i need , race the car 6-8 times a year and a daily driver .....reliable daily driver Smile

as far as racing it Laughing ........

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

couple of bad things about the ecoboost  - Page 2 Empty Re: couple of bad things about the ecoboost

Post  lghting94 June 22nd 2011, 10:37 am

Jon I dont think you are making a fair comparison here a stock ecoboost v-6 against a chipped up, bigger injected v-8 diesel. Rolling Eyes We all know who will win that battle but you compare the ecoboost to a stock powerstroke and your quite bit closer(still an apple versus a banana in comparison imo). For most guys pulling an open trailer or small enclosed trailer this is a very economical option from the research I have done. When you get to the big enclosed trailers I dont think the engine will be the limiting factor of the truck, stability on a smaller truck and single tires would be one concern but the bigger concern would be braking capabilities of the f-150 with that much weight behind it pushing trailer brakes help but crap happens and they could quit working. Just my opinion! Todd
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 22nd 2011, 11:43 am

I dunno, just heard all the talk about how bad ass it was and finally drove one and I was like "this is it?" lol.

It is what it is, it would make a good truck for the wife.................but 44k it aint happinin............. Laughing
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jcoxracing June 22nd 2011, 9:11 pm

For what it's worth I just paid a little over $30k for my crew cab 4x4. I just made a 90 mile trip w/ my open trailer and drag car cruising 75 and got 16 mpg.
Justin
jcoxracing
jcoxracing

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller June 23rd 2011, 12:13 am

richter69 wrote:you and snake can race tow rigs at the bash...........loaded or empty it dont matter........... Laughing

I would like to see Blake and Nick race the trucks at the Bash.I would think Nick would win and if not i would be suprised.I took a 4X4 Supercab F-150 with the Ecoboost and 3.55 gears for a ride a few weeks back.I broke the rear tires loose on the 1st to 2nd gear shift i was impressed.Jon,just curious if you have ever raced the truck you haul your car with?

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller June 23rd 2011, 12:19 am

lghting94 wrote:Jon I dont think you are making a fair comparison here a stock ecoboost v-6 against a chipped up, bigger injected v-8 diesel. Rolling Eyes We all know who will win that battle but you compare the ecoboost to a stock powerstroke and your quite bit closer(still an apple versus a banana in comparison imo). For most guys pulling an open trailer or small enclosed trailer this is a very economical option from the research I have done. When you get to the big enclosed trailers I dont think the engine will be the limiting factor of the truck, stability on a smaller truck and single tires would be one concern but the bigger concern would be braking capabilities of the f-150 with that much weight behind it pushing trailer brakes help but crap happens and they could quit working. Just my opinion! Todd

If you were to race a new F-150 Crew Cab 4X4 with the Ecoboost against the new F-250 Crew Cab 4X4 with the 6.7 Powerstroke.Both stock no mods. Ecoboost F-150 by about 1.5 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 June 23rd 2011, 8:45 am

Mark Miller wrote:

I would like to see Blake and Nick race the trucks at the Bash.I would think Nick would win and if not i would be suprised.I took a 4X4 Supercab F-150 with the Ecoboost and 3.55 gears for a ride a few weeks back.I broke the rear tires loose on the 1st to 2nd gear shift i was impressed.Jon,just curious if you have ever raced the truck you haul your car with?

Later Mark.

Sad
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno June 23rd 2011, 8:51 am

IDT-572 wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:

Later Mark.

Sad

Laughing Laughing Razz Razz ...come on let me bet you at something Laughing

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 June 23rd 2011, 8:57 am

bruno wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:

Later Mark.

Sad

Laughing Laughing Razz Razz ...come on let me bet you at something Laughing

Shoot you and Fabihoe are both faster than my junk.................... Laughing Shocked I need to get to work.......... Wink Cool
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 June 23rd 2011, 9:54 am

Never took mine down the track, Tony Wildman ran his a few times, only thing different is he had a bigger turbo, seems he ran some mid 14's with it.

The zf tranny Blake has would be a limiting factor, they dont like to be powershifted very well........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller June 24th 2011, 1:23 am

IDT-572 wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:

Later Mark.

Sad

Sorry Blake those Ecoboost F-150's are 14 second trucks,now hook the enclosed trailer up and the diesel torque would probably do the better job.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 June 24th 2011, 9:03 am

Mark Miller wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:

Later Mark.

Sad

Sorry Blake those Ecoboost F-150's are 14 second trucks,now hook the enclosed trailer up and the diesel torque would probably do the better job.

Later Mark.

No worries................ Cool
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 June 25th 2011, 4:06 pm

The problem that I have with this truck is that is it still a 1/2 ton. Just because it has the power to tow something doesn't mean it's safe. No way in hell I'd tow all of my stuff, which adds up to a lot of money, with a 1/2 ton. I'll take my 2006 PSD Dually any day.

Wouldn't be a bad replacement for my DD F150 Question
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn June 25th 2011, 4:28 pm

IMHO, I really don't think Ford intended for the Ecoboost V6 to compete with a diesel anything. They certainly didn't intend for someone to try and pull a 32' enclosed trailer loaded with a car and all kinds of tools and equipment. It's more for the average Joe to pull boats, small campers, and even and open trailer with one car on it, which it is certainly capable of doing that, and safely too.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 June 27th 2011, 12:21 pm

Doug Rahn wrote:IMHO, I really don't think Ford intended for the Ecoboost V6 to compete with a diesel anything. They certainly didn't intend for someone to try and pull a 32' enclosed trailer loaded with a car and all kinds of tools and equipment. It's more for the average Joe to pull boats, small campers, and even and open trailer with one car on it, which it is certainly capable of doing that, and safely too.

You are correct but the problem is that if you cruise the various ford truck forums people are not understanding this...

Got into a discussion with a guy bragging about how he pulls he heavy-ass boat with his ecoboost and how it had plenty of power and even better mileage. My point to him was he'd better make damn sure that those surge brakes are in perfect working order cuz' that little half ton ain't stopping a 32 foot boat
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer June 27th 2011, 11:54 pm

yellowhorse7 wrote:
Doug Rahn wrote:IMHO, I really don't think Ford intended for the Ecoboost V6 to compete with a diesel anything. They certainly didn't intend for someone to try and pull a 32' enclosed trailer loaded with a car and all kinds of tools and equipment. It's more for the average Joe to pull boats, small campers, and even and open trailer with one car on it, which it is certainly capable of doing that, and safely too.

You are correct but the problem is that if you cruise the various ford truck forums people are not understanding this...

Got into a discussion with a guy bragging about how he pulls he heavy-ass boat with his ecoboost and how it had plenty of power and even better mileage. My point to him was he'd better make damn sure that those surge brakes are in perfect working order cuz' that little half ton ain't stopping a 32 foot boat

Agreed. Won't be long and there will be similar stories to the ones we used to hear about the Explorers rolling over left and right. They left out the parts about 85% of them being loaded to the roof with camp gear hauling enclosed trailers full of quads. Tow your trailer with a 1/2 ton, then a 3/4 ton and then a F350 dually... a few miles to the gallon is worth keeping my family safer.
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno June 28th 2011, 10:06 am

went to the track friday night , unloaded the car and it ran a 14.91 @ 92 , it was 99* and humid , traction control on , .....ran a total of 5 passes with it , Stephen had fun it was his first time down the track.

oh and btw the car ran its best pass n/a went 3 jets up with the new scoop , cant wait for the bash

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 June 28th 2011, 10:18 am

bruno wrote:went to the track friday night , unloaded the car and it ran a 14.91 @ 92 , it was 99* and humid , traction control on , .....ran a total of 5 passes with it , Stephen had fun it was his first time down the track.

oh and btw the car ran its best pass n/a went 3 jets up with the new scoop , cant wait for the bash

We want to know what the car ran Twisted Evil Don't hold out. Cool
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblockfox468 June 28th 2011, 10:28 am

bruno wrote:went to the track friday night , unloaded the car and it ran a 14.91 @ 92 , it was 99* and humid , traction control on , .....ran a total of 5 passes with it , Stephen had fun it was his first time down the track.

Your boy aint old enough to drive Exclamation Razz
bigblockfox468
bigblockfox468
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblockfox468 June 28th 2011, 10:30 am

bruno wrote:

And this is to damned small to read Laughing

I'd like to see the new scoop set-up... got a picture?
bigblockfox468
bigblockfox468
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 28th 2011, 10:58 am

yellowhorse7 wrote:The problem that I have with this truck is that is it still a 1/2 ton. Just because it has the power to tow something doesn't mean it's safe. No way in hell I'd tow all of my stuff, which adds up to a lot of money, with a 1/2 ton. I'll take my 2006 PSD Dually any day.

I have a 2010 with a 5.4 and IMO the ratings of the truck are just a good as any older F250. Granted they are no F350 or 450. But for the average guy towing under 10k (typical smaller enclosed, Flat Bet or Camper) occasionaly IMO they fit the bill.

I just towed my 24' trailer with it from Tennessee to Pittsburgh PA and Felt totaly safe with it and I can tell you I have towed alot and have had a number of F250's 350's and Ram 3500's with Diesels.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  D's557BBF June 28th 2011, 11:06 am

bruno wrote:

LMAO!! Laughing
D's557BBF
D's557BBF

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno June 28th 2011, 12:21 pm

IDT-572 wrote:

125.2 , et didnt pick up much from my best but it ran 4 hundreths faster .....

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney June 28th 2011, 12:55 pm

yellowhorse7 wrote:The problem that I have with this truck is that is it still a 1/2 ton. Just because it has the power to tow something doesn't mean it's safe. No way in hell I'd tow all of my stuff, which adds up to a lot of money, with a 1/2 ton. I'll take my 2006 PSD Dually any day.

I agree 100%. I have a half to chebby with a 5.3 and it tows my enclosed w/ car just fine, but when Im passing a semi, or have to stop it quickly my opinion is very different. I also have a Excursion that is hands down safer to tow with in any given situation over the half ton with the exception of acceleration, which the half ton(2000 lbs lighter) has an edge, but with over 8k in tow I feel 100% more comfortable in the Excursion. Bear in mind the 1500 is a 4x4 ex cab with 4.10 gears and brake controller, and has been 15.2 in the quarter so its more than capable of pulling the weight. Its more a question of controlling the weight. Just because it can be done doesnt mean it should be done.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 June 28th 2011, 12:56 pm

bruno wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:

125.2 , et didnt pick up much from my best but it ran 4 hundreths faster .....

Sounds like your headed down the right track. I haven't ran 125 mph yet with the new engine............ Maybe this weekend.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next