BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front suspension is coming apart again

+2
Nevs
Greg_P
6 posters

Go down

Front suspension is coming apart again Empty Front suspension is coming apart again

Post  Greg_P September 8th 2009, 6:19 pm

Dam at the track last weekend something just felt "funny" with the car. The launch sucked, but I was on street tires so what the heck, right? BUT, the 2-3 shift was a real event on each pass.

I got to looking around, and discovered that my spring perches (both sides, but worse on the pass side) were binding something terrible. Well, it looks like the bushings let go after I added a little extra extension travel. The pass side actually got all bound up and would hardly move at all.

Maybe these dam things have been stiff the whole time? Heck, I bought them from Ford in 1994, where's the quality anymore....lol.....

Anyway, I've got the front end apart again and I'm putting ball bearings in the perches. No more binding-ass rubber to harsh my launch.

Where's my pineapple?

cyclops
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Front suspension is coming apart again Empty Re: Front suspension is coming apart again

Post  Greg_P September 8th 2009, 10:14 pm

Well, got the pass side perch built and installed, and dang! What a major difference!

I am thinking that we might have stumbled on something that has been hurting us for quite some time.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Front suspension is coming apart again Empty Re: Front suspension is coming apart again

Post  Nevs September 8th 2009, 10:17 pm

Greg_P wrote:Well, got the pass side perch built and installed, and dang! What a major difference!

I am thinking that we might have stumbled on something that has been hurting us for quite some time.

Greg

My guess is you are correct. It will be interesting to see if your performance improves dramatically. Cool
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrodmerc September 9th 2009, 7:04 am

How about a couple of pictures? What did you use to rebuilt them with? I like where your going with this.
hotrodmerc
hotrodmerc

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P September 9th 2009, 10:19 am

I used this design as a guide. I did a few things differently, such as bearing retention and roller alignment though.

http://dazed.home.bresnan.net/opentracker
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  duff429 September 11th 2009, 3:09 am

wow thats a good idea.. not sure if it would help but what about roller bearings in the upper a-arms? i read somewhere a dude in the F.a.s.t. racing runs them... i had thought about them but havent been sold on the idea yet and price.
duff429
duff429

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav September 11th 2009, 6:24 am

An old Super Stock trick. It works.
FYI, The owner of that site daze cars is a member of the old site, Need to get him over here.Nice Guy, cant remember his name though. Was gonna go that route before I decided to go piperack.
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P September 11th 2009, 9:27 am

Duff, I built mine for 20 bucks a side.

Two R14-2RS bearings per side (9 bucks each) and a 4 inch exhaust pipe coupling (1-7/8", 2 bucks)

That's it!

You wouldn't believe how free this front suspension is now. I might make a short vid just to drive home the point. Suffice it to say that I feel like this one improvement is really going to improve our 60' times.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  duff429 September 11th 2009, 2:50 pm

sweet Cool, the above stuff is that for the upper a-arms ?
duff429
duff429

Back to top Go down

Post  hotrodmerc September 11th 2009, 3:32 pm

I believe they are for the spring perch's
hotrodmerc
hotrodmerc

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P September 11th 2009, 11:34 pm

duff429 wrote:sweet Cool, the above stuff is that for the upper a-arms ?

It is for the spring perch, which is the part that the spring rides on and is bolted to the upper control arm.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf September 12th 2009, 8:19 am

Have you had a chance to do any testing yet Greg?
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P September 12th 2009, 9:07 am

Not yet.... If the weather improves we are going to go racing on Sunday and I will report back with the results.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav September 12th 2009, 9:28 am

Greg,
If you want even more do the uppers also.Its more involved though. Be carefull how much more converting you go with if you keep it on the street.
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P September 12th 2009, 9:46 am

Thanks, Al.

I think I'm done with the mods up there for now. Really, the ball bearing mod was the cheapest way to repair the perches on short notice, so it's the best of both worlds.

I don't think there is as much to gain from the upper control arm bushing mods as there was with the spring perch either.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down