BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iron River Pull

2 posters

Go down

Iron River Pull Empty Iron River Pull

Post  TRUKPULR June 18th 2011, 3:17 pm

Iron River 2011

Well over the years Iron River has been and Invitational for WUMPA , Where they only wanted our Super Stock and Mod trucks to come there and make some noise for the crowd.
Well this year it's been a little tough keeping trucks together after pulls. Last week in Oconto WI, I lost a roller lifter and had to tare the engine down to replace them. Bruce broke and axle and blew the front ring and pinion and hasn't had time to fix Bad to the Bone. Craig and Bruce still haven't got there Mod Motors together yet. And Deans has taken the year off to build a Dream Cabin for his wife on there land up the road. And Jack has put his Truck on hold for another season but is out campaigning his Wife's Open Stock Truck. So let look at what's going on here. Truck count is down in WUMPA this year.

So Ed and myself showed up in Iron River To up hold our end of the contract We took our turns running down the track.

This year they put a 300' full pull cone out on the track and there going to have pull offs for the trucks that passed the cone. Well the track was hard but soft. as soon as a truck would make a run they'd dig down about a 1/2" of so then if the next truck stayed in the ruts he'd dig a little deeper repacking the track was not going to happen this year with the front end loader just scrapping the track after each truck.
Luckily for WUMPA we where the 3rd class and the furthest truck so far was only 95 feet.

SO Ed and I flipped a coin to see who'd go first and Ed Won so he'd was first in both classes. Now with the dead weight sled they have up there it's always been 2nd gear we'd stop at the second gate 375 feet if they opened it, and if they shifted it to 3rd they'd stop us at 100 feet. So Ed hooked up and pulled the sled to the Closed second gate and stopped 355'10" So I'd do my best to try and get by Ed but if they didn't open the gate then I was done for Cuz Ed runs a short box truck and I have a long box. Ed's 12" shorted at the hook point so if I drop in his tire tracks he's still get me by 12".
SO I get hooked up and easied ShaZam out of the hole but I felt the tires let go of the ground at the 40 foot mark So I played with the throttle trying to get some speed going but it was not going to happen so I held the r's at 6500 till I got out of the area part then gave ShaZam a mit full to get out to the 2nd gate stopping with the weight box up against the gate. Well I figured I got Ed so I got unhooked and made my way back to the trailer to change over to my Mod tires.
Bob Harris came over to see if I needed a hand changing tires, But I told him this was weekly work out, when I can't throw these tires around no more then I guess it will be time for me to retire from pulling. So we where shooting the shit and I asked how far did I get Ed by, and Bob said you didn't Ed beat me. Hmm OK . SO after I got the tires changed Ed came over to see if I was ready for Mod and I told him you bet. So then I heard the announcer call the WUMPA truck to the line. So Ed got all hooked up and took off and the sled stooped him at 117' 04" And I knew this wasn't going to be good. But they said they shifted into the wrong gear and they reset the sled. So I got hooked up and pulled the cable tight. As I left the line it was a repeat of Super Stock the tires let go at the 30 foot mark and I was just spinning my wheels, I tried playing with the throttle but it was not going to work for me this time and the sled pulled me to a stop at the 193' 7" mark just making out the first gate. Well Ed came back around and he hooked again the pulled the sled better then I did stopping at the 230' 5" mark. So Ed laid a whopping on me in Mod.
So now I can say I took two 2nd places in Iron River to make it sound good to everyone. But I know I finished last in both classes But I got paid good for making the runs I did.
After all they only wanted us up there to make some noise and we both did.

OK Next week I'll be in Maribel WI And then head to Pound WI after we get done in Maribel. Hopefully the timing works out for both pulls .

Till Next Week See ya

Dan and ShaZam
TRUKPULR
TRUKPULR

http://www.shazampulling.com

Back to top Go down

Iron River Pull Empty Re: Iron River Pull

Post  IDT-572 June 18th 2011, 9:36 pm

Thanks Dan enjoyed it.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR