BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DROPPED SPINDLES FOR A 60 GALAXY - PROGRESS AT LAST!

+6
jasonf
DILLIGASDAVE
John Myrick
69F100
Wayne Pearce
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

DROPPED SPINDLES FOR A 60 GALAXY - PROGRESS AT LAST! - Page 2 Empty Re: DROPPED SPINDLES FOR A 60 GALAXY - PROGRESS AT LAST!

Post  Wayne Pearce September 5th 2011, 7:24 pm

This past weekend I tackled the dropped spindle / disc brake kit from Drop & Stop. I took some before and after pics that I will post as soon as I figure out how. I started by measuring from the ground to the highest point of the fender well, it measured 31 1/4". Once you see the pics, you'll notice that the car sits like it has no engine or tranny in it, in fact the upper control arms were buried in the rubber snubbers! Once I got past all of the grease, and muck that has accumulated the swap was as easy as pie. Everything went together exactly as planned, set it back down on the ground and was VERY disappointed - it sat exactly 3/4" lower than when it was before! The kit was advertised as lowering the front end by 2 1/2". After debating what to do, I decided to dig deeper. I dropped the springs out, and found a 1" hard rubber spacer on top of them. I put the springs back in (what a bitch that was, I should have chained them when they were compressed), so I did the next best thing, I compressed them with my lift and chained them - it made life much easier! Put it all back together, let it down on the ground - STILL way too high, and the upper control arms were still buried in the snubbers! took it all back apart again, and cut one full coil out of the springs, back together again, still too high (but off the snubbers at last). Did it all once again, took another half coil off the springs, put it all back together again, and finally the car is sitting the way I like it! I started with 31 1/4", and ended up with 25 1/2" - a reduction of 5 3/4"! In all fairness to Dave at Drop & Stop, maybe if the car didn't have the "springs from hell" + the 1" hard rubber spacer in it, I would have seen a more favorable result the first time around. His spindle / disc brake conversion kit is first class - it came with EVERYTHING except the brake fluid!

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2