BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what is needed to covert to alky

5 posters

Go down

what is needed to covert to alky Empty what is needed to covert to alky

Post  jesse July 22nd 2011, 2:25 am

here is what i am thinking
and would like to use as much of the stuff i have that is set up on gas
motor is a
tfs A-460 heads c&c ported
4.500 bore
4.150 stroke
14-1 and will be increaseing to a possible 16-1 i currenty have thicker head gaskets
bg 400 pump
qft 1250
i would like to run 2 carbs i would get another 1250 dom carb and have them converted
keep my current bg pump
get a 4 port reg
and a tunnle ram intake
custom cam
i know tuneing will be a learning curve but motor will have alot of dyno time
i will be doing the switch after my season is over
i know 530 cid is small but after next season if i can save enof cash up i will go to a 600+cid
keep in mind the only thing i know about alky is it taste's great on a friday night
jesse
jesse

Back to top Go down

what is needed to covert to alky Empty Re: what is needed to covert to alky

Post  res0rli9 July 22nd 2011, 2:43 am

it taste's great on any night cheers

thats all I know scratch

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 July 22nd 2011, 5:25 am

Jesse,
This is going to be a real controversial topic on this forum, so you will see a wide range of ideas. ( A good thing).
From what I have learned...observed...listened to...and gathered in my basket of experience tells me that a conversion to alky is best suited to fuel injection rather than carbs. You may have class rules that prohibit fuel injection.
If you go with a carb conversion, my only advice would be to find someone on this forum who has a good running BBF alky carb setup and use their information to get your baseline.
My experience with injected methanol has been a long, positive deal. The only struggle that I experienced was in my first year, due to my initial setup that was mistakenly specified with a pump that was at least one size too large. I also had no one that would give me good advice (back then) and had to work through and learn the setup the hard way. Today, there is a lot of experience (like on this forum) that can get you on a tune-up real fast without wasting any money.
Lots of folks are going to advise that you can go faster with gas and they have examples to back that opinion up. I am on the other side of the camp. I feel that you can produce more power with properly tuned alky injection. Nothing wrong with gas and carbs....My preference is injected alky.
One last thing.....a good EGT monitoring gauge is essential to a successful alky program. Without the EGT it is easy to get lost on the initial setup.
I hope this helps.
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LETHAL_DOSE July 22nd 2011, 9:02 am

You are running a very similar combo to what I run. 4.4430 bore x 4.25 stroke, IDT eliminator heads. I would not try to feed 2 carbs through 1 regulator. I tried it, did not work. I know guys that run Brand X engines and have been successful with the single regulator, but they are not using dominator carbs.
I will try to explain how I set up my old system w/ the electric pump. I ran a #12 line to the pump and -12 hose to the fuel log and capped the bypass return on the BG400 pump. On the fuel log I run a holley bypass regulator(looks just like a deadhead regulator, but has a pill inside to change), This will be your return to the tank. I installed it on the opposite end as the supply line. You need to use at least -8AN return line (-6an will not return enough been there done that). Then going to the carbs I have run both -6an & -8an did not seem to make a difference. By plumbing the fuel log this way, you are always supplying full volume to the log & carbs and only returning what you don't need. I run Chuck Nuytten Carbs and he says 7 1/2 psi max fuel pressure. I would check with whomever converts your carbs as to what the max inlet pressure is. Some guys run Bo-Laws carbs in our class and they run 9-12 psi. If you don't put it on the dyno again, it is a trial and error type thing to get the fuel set right. When you get ready to do this, or just have some questions call me 574 7O2 1234 mike
LETHAL_DOSE
LETHAL_DOSE

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 22nd 2011, 9:13 am

Injection is better, but carbs will get it done, and a set of 4 needles and seats is better than 2. That pump will be fine with a bypass style reg as mentioned.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jesse July 22nd 2011, 4:05 pm

thanxs for the help and advice
i am not 100% shure if this is gonna happen as soon as i want
i was talking to a few ppl and with a 530 cid it is possible that what i want to do
might not gain as much as i would like to see unless i go bigger
and that isnt in the pocket book for awhile
i might just go with a tunnel ram and 1 carb on gas
and than i still fit in my class rules
jesse
jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down