BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

medium duty 429

3 posters

Go down

medium duty 429 Empty medium duty 429

Post  Jimmy Wade July 27th 2011, 7:40 am

Could and would the 429 block from a medium duty f650 be the foundation for a good engine build? I heard they have a forged crank and rods, and one rumor I heard was that most have 4 bolt mains! The huge combustion chambers mean the heads would have to go probably, but could a aftermarket piston raise the compression to around 9 to 1?

Jimmy Wade

Back to top Go down

medium duty 429 Empty Re: medium duty 429

Post  dfree383 July 27th 2011, 9:34 am

Jimmy Wade wrote:Could and would the 429 block from a medium duty f650 be the foundation for a good engine build? I heard they have a forged crank and rods, and one rumor I heard was that most have 4 bolt mains! The huge combustion chambers mean the heads would have to go probably, but could a aftermarket piston raise the compression to around 9 to 1?

The Block is fine for a build, They do not have 4 bolt mains, it could have a forged crank (it will be a large snout if it does) and all 429/460 engines have forged rods, Ditch the heads........

Only 429/460 motors to have 4 bolt mains are Boss 429, 429 SCJ and Some 429CJ and Police Engines.

Only 429/460 motors to have forged cranks are Boss 429's and some 429 Truck / Industrial Engines (Big Snout)
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane July 27th 2011, 1:33 pm

Jimmy Wade wrote:Could and would the 429 block from a medium duty f650 be the foundation for a good engine build? I heard they have a forged crank and rods, and one rumor I heard was that most have 4 bolt mains! The huge combustion chambers mean the heads would have to go probably, but could a aftermarket piston raise the compression to around 9 to 1?
Depending on the cylinder head casting number, the 429 Lima engine's cylinder heads are much like D3's, generally speaking. The timing cover is a heavy cast iron; the rods and pistons are specific to the commercial engine and of little use to you; the crankshaft should be a forged unit made of 1046 or 1053 steel but requires machining of the front snout and rear flange in order to be made useful, let alone the need for offset stroking it in most cases; it has a full-length deep sump pan which is nice but does not fit a lot of other chassis; the block is a typical D9TE-AB 460 block.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down