BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cam Timing

5 posters

Go down

Cam Timing Empty Cam Timing

Post  James1965 July 31st 2011, 10:54 am

so I have a 1976 460, D3EV heads, pretty much all stock everything... I have been reading that after 1972 the cam timing set is retarded and I should replace them with pre 72 timing set? Am I reading it right? if i do this, how will it affect the Dist Timing or should it not have any bearing on it? I know some people look down on gear drive replacements, but is there any reason to not use them besides the noise? They make a quiet version and a noisy version. Thanks for any input.
James1965
James1965

Back to top Go down

Cam Timing Empty Re: Cam Timing

Post  rmcomprandy July 31st 2011, 1:17 pm

Indexing the camshaft into the former strait-up position will move that camshaft, (and therefore valve timing), ahead. Being that the camshaft is also what moves the distributor shaft, it will also advance the ignition timing. Therefore, the ignition timing will need to be reset.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  James1965 July 31st 2011, 3:18 pm

any thoughts on the gear drive system?
James1965
James1965

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 31st 2011, 4:44 pm

Use a Good HP Chain, any of the cheap gear drives are a waste.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cooter July 31st 2011, 6:53 pm

a cam needs to be degreed to the correct position. simply installing a new timing set is a hit or miss, if you dont degree you are only guessing where the cam timing is. As far as gear sets, i agree with dfree383, spend the money on a multi key way timing set and degree your heart out

cooter

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 July 31st 2011, 7:39 pm

I agree to stick with the chain set I have never ran a gear drive but have talked to some that did even the quite drives still sing.I had and old engine builder tell my to stay away from the gear drives he said after they get some wear on them they start sending vibs through the cam sending the vibs to cam bearings ,cam lobs ,and lifter bottom causing them to wear out faster.I am not sure if that is true or not but after messing with gear boxes at work I can see what he was talking about with the vibs out of the gear boxes.But just something to think about like I said I have never ran one this is hear say.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum