BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C6 Second Gear Flare Won't Go Away

4 posters

Go down

C6 Second Gear Flare Won't Go Away Empty C6 Second Gear Flare Won't Go Away

Post  512Fairlane August 10th 2011, 10:43 pm

I'm fed up with this trans. I think I've tried all the tricks on here but my trans still flares in second gear. It was flaring so bad it hit the rev limiter all weekend at the bash. I have a TCI manual reverse valve body without a brake. Art Carr Servo ( I think its like a Sonnax). I just modified the big O-ring groove on the servo. The Bore in the case is 3.501". The OD of the groove is 3.250". The piston moves freely in the bore. Small O-ring is removed and vent is plugged per TCI instructions. The spring is a stock spring. I adjusted the band to 120 in-lbs. then backed out 1 1/8 turns. I have a B&M pro stick. When I adjust it I shift into every gear and make sure the cable end slides easily in and out of the hole in the linkage. What am I missing with this thing. Is a Frank Merkel or Broader Performance valve body the only solution? This thing is driving me crazy. Its costing me ET and consistency.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

C6 Second Gear Flare Won't Go Away Empty Re: C6 Second Gear Flare Won't Go Away

Post  res0rli9 August 10th 2011, 11:15 pm

Frank has a fix for the TCI V/B,,,its in here
http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113120

But you cant go wrong with one of Franks V/Bs

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield August 11th 2011, 11:56 am

res0rli9 wrote:Frank has a fix for the TCI V/B,,,its in here

X2 You will spend more time and money trying to sort it all out than just buying a good valve body.
I do recomend that you dissassemble your trans and inspect it since you have had second gear flare.
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane August 11th 2011, 10:53 pm

res0rli9 wrote:Frank has a fix for the TCI V/B,,,its in here

I believe that fix is for the TCI V/B with a brake. My valve body is not supposed to have the same issue. Not sure what the deal is but I'm tired of it. It used to flare in 3rd. Finally got that solved by plugging the vent in the servo, removing the small o-ring, and installing the stiffest spring that came with the kit. But then it started flaring in 2nd. I tried a different (stock spring but it seems worse). Maybe I'll try the medium spring like I had it in before plugging the vent.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl August 12th 2011, 12:52 am

with the TCI manual VB you need to adjust the band by torqueing in the bolt to 120 in/lbs and back it out only 3/4-1 of a turn instead of the 1 1/2 turns a normal vb or mine use and use the toughest return spring you can find .134-145" dia wire with 9 free coils and plug the vent port for the servo and leave off the o'ring on the small piston
frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down