BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Turbo outlet tube ? 6.0 PSD

3 posters

Go down

Turbo outlet tube ? 6.0 PSD Empty Turbo outlet tube ? 6.0 PSD

Post  scottke August 14th 2011, 11:07 am

Blew it of the turbo last week coming back from the BASH. Got a new clamp at Ford Monday, put it on, but it still won't stay. Headed to track last night and made it 5 miles before it blew off. Do I have to get a new boot too to get it to stay? GETTING PiSSED! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Need some input.
scottke
scottke

Back to top Go down

Turbo outlet tube ? 6.0 PSD Empty Re: Turbo outlet tube ? 6.0 PSD

Post  richter69 August 14th 2011, 11:35 am

if its the short curved one..........once they blow off they wont ever stay...........get a new boot, both new clamps, be sure to brake clean the surfaces and the insides of the boot off good.

you also ned to make sure its not making too much boost from a stuck turbo etc.

richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  scottke August 14th 2011, 1:40 pm

I've never really messed with the turbo. How do I check to see if it is stuck? Truck runs fine and sounds no different. Ford wants $113 just for the boot. Found a deisel performance place that sells all the clamps and boots for turbo and intercooler for $179.

http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/20032007-ford-60l-powerstroke-intercooler-hose-clamp-kit-p-25070.html

I have noticed what seems to be a small ticking sound coming from what sounds like the hot side of the turbo. Not sure if it is new or just never noticed it before.
scottke
scottke

Back to top Go down

Post  scottke August 14th 2011, 2:33 pm

It looks like a nice kit.
scottke
scottke

Back to top Go down

Turbo outlet tube ? 6.0 PSD Empty Turbo outlet tube ? 6.0 PSD

Post  Pro98Mustang August 15th 2011, 9:11 am

When traveling up from Alabama to Owensboro the Turbo Tube blew off 4 different times on my friends 2005, 6.0 L engine. We stripped the stupid lock nut on the top clamp and could not get the clamp tight enough to hold, we were really in a pickle. My son lucked up and found a nut in our tool box that was the exact match for the stripped nut (metric & fine threaded) which we replaced and finally made it to Owensboro about 1 1/2 hours later than it should have taken. First thing Friday morning I looked up Lem Evens and told him that I need the parts to fix the thing before we left for Alabama on Sunday morning. Lem put me in touch with Shawn, his parts man at Bob Evens Ford, that is located about 13-14 miles from the track. My wife and I drove over later Friday morning and picked up the boot (hose) and two new clamps to replace the old one, about 96 bucks. When we got back to the track and started to replace the boot (hose) and clamps we realized that the boot (hose) that Shawn had given us was about 1 1/2" shorter than the old one. I called Shawn and he double checked the part numbers and saw that there is a build date that causes the difference. I gave him the build date off the drivers side door and sure enough he had given me the wrong boot (hose). Bob Even's Ford parts truck had to make a delivery to make in Owensboro later on Friday morning so he delivered the correct part to me, put it in my hand, there at the track where a little later the part was replaced and fixed. It is so important to make sure that the circular embossment inside the boot (hose) fits into the groove that is machined (actually rolled) inside the metal tube that goes down from the Turbo to the Inter-Cooler. Make sure to use some type of cleaner to wipe the metal tube before installing the boot (hose) and put the boot (hose) on by feel making sure the embossments actually drops down in the groove (this is a simple feel by your hand, make sure not to put the boot on the tube to far as the embossment will NOT be in the groove. You now need to put the clamps on EXACTLY OVER THE EMBOSSMENT and tighten, we tightened them as tight as we could as we did not have a torque wrench of any kind. We made it home with no problem pulling a 44 ft. trailer with two race cars in it with all our race gear to. So for every thing is as it should be so far!!

Pro98Mustang

http://bjanthony@centurytel.net

Back to top Go down

Post  scottke August 15th 2011, 8:18 pm

The connection at the tube has never come off. Mine keeps blowing off at the turbo. $96 bucks!!!????? Hell, my local dealer wants $113 jusy for the boot. Already bought the turbo side clamp, it was $24. Still have to buy the pipe side. I guess I need to call Lem Smile
scottke
scottke

Back to top Go down

Post  Pro98Mustang August 16th 2011, 1:56 pm

The Turbo side of the boot has the same embossment that fits the Turbo and the clamp tightens over it. The top and bottom clamp are the same. Good luck on getting things fixed so for for us things are still working the way it should.

Pro98Mustang

http://bjanthony@centurytel.net

Back to top Go down

Post  scottke August 16th 2011, 2:55 pm

Good to hear. Got all new stuff and got done with it a while ago. Seems to be good to go. Went out and fired on it good several times and all's good. Got back home and nothing had moved. Very Happy Cool Cool
scottke
scottke

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down