BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front end alignment

+2
richter69
bigblockfox468
6 posters

Go down

Front end alignment Empty Front end alignment

Post  bigblockfox468 August 16th 2011, 1:21 pm

I'm needing to get an alignment on my 85LX now that I have new ET Drags all around.

Heres a long story made short on my last time out. First time out with the new combo. Had excessive wandering throughout the 1/4 mi run. Seemed to get worse after the 1/8th... maybe because of the the mph picking up? (It didn't do this too bad before with the old set up) I had to abort my 2nd 1/4 mile pass. Ran only 1/8 after that and that was almost a handful.

Had Hoosiers QTP's (bias tire) on the rear and some front runners (radial tire) on the front. Also to make the new combo fit I had to lower the rack for oil pan clearance. Toe measurments were taken before and after and set at the before measurement.

So can a normal standard front end alignment shop do the work or do I need to have it done by someone who aligns drag cars..... if that evens matters scratch

Last edited by bigblockfox468 on August 16th 2011, 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigblockfox468
bigblockfox468
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Front end alignment Empty Re: Front end alignment

Post  richter69 August 16th 2011, 1:28 pm

Get a set of caster camber plates, put as much caster as you can in it, 1/16" - 1/8" of toe in (check bumpsteer!!!)

I usually do mine on the shop floor with a tape measure and some string.

Also no matter how good the front is if its spinning the tires down track its gonna be a handful to drive.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 August 16th 2011, 6:34 pm

richter69 wrote:Get a set of caster camber plates, put as much caster as you can in it, 1/16" - 1/8" of toe in (check bumpsteer!!!)

I usually do mine on the shop floor with a tape measure and some string.

Also no matter how good the front is if its spinning the tires down track its gonna be a handful to drive.

x2 I have 1/8'' toe in I beleave I could just about take my hands off the steering and it would run strieght but mine is a slow turd 7.12 in the 1/8 11.21 in the 1/4 but I beleave high 6's in the 1/8 and I beleave some high 10's in the 1/4 in it
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 August 16th 2011, 10:46 pm

bumpsteer.......if you lowered the rack you now have some.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle August 17th 2011, 11:03 am

I've aligned a few Fox bodys in the shop using a tape measure. I usually jack up the front end to where the car sits going down the track and give it 1/8" toe in. Check the bumpsteer as it comes down off the jack and front end compresses. This will let you know what it will do when you lift at the stripe and the nose dives as you start to brake or how it'll handle if you have a bumpy track to drive...

And, if you have some CC plates put as much caster in it as possible like Jon said.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE August 18th 2011, 12:44 am

As mentioned it could be a bump-steer problem, or not enough positive caster for the cars current mid/top end speed, or it could be spinning.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum