BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taking the sharp edges off piston crowns

+5
res0rli9
crittersf1
dfree383
bruno
Beast
9 posters

Go down

Taking the sharp edges off piston crowns Empty Taking the sharp edges off piston crowns

Post  Beast August 22nd 2011, 3:38 am

What do I use to smooth the edge of the dish and valve relief to prevent hot spotting and detonation when spraying?
Taking the sharp edges off piston crowns DSCF1006
Beast
Beast

Back to top Go down

Taking the sharp edges off piston crowns Empty Re: Taking the sharp edges off piston crowns

Post  bruno August 22nd 2011, 7:30 am

how much are you spraying ? that edge of that piston looks mighty thin .........

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Taking the sharp edges off piston crowns Empty Re: Taking the sharp edges off piston crowns

Post  dfree383 August 22nd 2011, 7:33 am

Sand Rolls work fine.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  crittersf1 August 22nd 2011, 7:41 am

dfree383 wrote:Sand Rolls work fine.

Just don't get too aggressive
crittersf1
crittersf1

Back to top Go down

Post  Beast August 22nd 2011, 7:50 am

bruno wrote:how much are you spraying ? that edge of that piston looks mighty thin .........

I've got a Zex perimeter plate thats 100-300hp. I'll start at 100 or 150 until I get used to it. Plan is to go the whole 300 eventually. You don't like the look of the piston obviously, will it be a problem at those levels?
Beast
Beast

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 22nd 2011, 7:52 am

I'm not sure how he can see how thick the piston is by a top shot???? Xray Computer Monitor? Laughing
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno August 22nd 2011, 11:03 am

dfree383 wrote:I'm not sure how he can see how thick the piston is by a top shot???? Xray Computer Monitor? Laughing

look at that corner Dave , it looks thin at the top looking down , were the valve relief is

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 August 22nd 2011, 11:11 am

that looks deep to, how deep is that creator?

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Beast August 22nd 2011, 4:14 pm

Its a 39cc dish. Heads are 72cc chambered P51's. Had to go that big of a dish to get CR down. Ended up at 10.7:1 if I remember correctly. Will be running on premium pump gas, mixing in some race fuel when spraying.
Beast
Beast

Back to top Go down

Post  Beast August 22nd 2011, 4:16 pm

bruno wrote:how much are you spraying ? that edge of that piston looks mighty thin .........

bruno wrote:
dfree383 wrote:I'm not sure how he can see how thick the piston is by a top shot???? Xray Computer Monitor? Laughing

look at that corner Dave , it looks thin at the top looking down , were the valve relief is

So am I going to have problems spraying 300 on that piston in your opinion Bruno?
Beast
Beast

Back to top Go down

Post  Induction-Solutions August 22nd 2011, 4:19 pm

The edge does look thin from the top, but also how far the top ring down is plays a part in this ??

I would lightly sand roll the edges and I glass bead the top of my pistons as well.. Thanks, SJ

Brooksville, Fl. 34604
Shop 352-593-5900
Cell 815-341-8853
www.InductionSolutions.com
Induction-Solutions
Induction-Solutions
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

http://www.InductionSolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Beast August 22nd 2011, 6:01 pm

The top edge of the first ring gap is just over 9mm from the top of the piston. (0.36" or so)
Beast
Beast

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno August 22nd 2011, 10:07 pm

Beast wrote:

bruno wrote:

So am I going to have problems spraying 300 on that piston in your opinion Bruno?
Taking the sharp edges off piston crowns DSCF1006-1

sir im no way shape or form a piston guru, , let alone a nitrous one ,but were i circled is were i think you could have some issues------- but i would start out small and read the plugs on every pass till i know its was a clean tune .....one word " PATIENCE" also give Steve Johnson a call @ Induction -Solutions and can help you out with your tune to take some of the guess work out of it Wink

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 August 23rd 2011, 12:01 am

Beast wrote:Its a 39cc dish. Heads are 72cc chambered P51's. Had to go that big of a dish to get CR down. Ended up at 10.7:1 if I remember correctly. Will be running on premium pump gas, mixing in some race fuel when spraying.

lol. gess its the pic....that 39cc dish looks like its 1/2" deep. why I asked.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  605FOX August 23rd 2011, 11:14 am

Bruno is correct i would be very careful with those pistons, your are just not putting them in the ideal environment, just take your time with your jetting and always ck your plugs

605FOX
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 23rd 2011, 11:34 am

The intake valve relief has to be where it's gotta be. The only to make that area thicker is to have more o.d. , i.e. bigger bore.
Diamond piston @ 4.560" bore........SCJ/P51 relief.

Taking the sharp edges off piston crowns 20110822_0679Medium

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 23rd 2011, 11:57 am

bruno wrote:

The only problem would be Ring Placement close to the Ditch in those IMO, The Edge at the relief on the top shouldn't be an issue, its not knife thin.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave August 23rd 2011, 10:30 pm

That's a nice looking piston. As to the "smoothing of edges", start with a very fine sanding roll and only knock off the edge. Two other steps I like is media blasting the dome/dish (please mask from above the ring lands down) after using 1000 grit paper to "touch the piston up". There's no need to get carried away, be gentle! I'm not for sure, but I think the intake charge will take care of the intake valve area as long as your tune-up is good.

Just my $0.02,
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Beast August 24th 2011, 6:00 am

Induction-Solutions wrote:The edge does look thin from the top, but also how far the top ring down is plays a part in this ??

I would lightly sand roll the edges and I glass bead the top of my pistons as well.. Thanks, SJ

LivermoreDave wrote:That's a nice looking piston. As to the "smoothing of edges", start with a very fine sanding roll and only knock off the edge. Two other steps I like is media blasting the dome/dish (please mask from above the ring lands down) after using 1000 grit paper to "touch the piston up". There's no need to get carried away, be gentle! I'm not for sure, but I think the intake charge will take care of the intake valve area as long as your tune-up is good.

Just my $0.02,
Dave.

What does media blasting/glass beading the crown do to help?

Is it a nitrous specific thing?

Beast
Beast

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 24th 2011, 7:46 pm

Blasting the surface with or w/o spray will eliminate the sharp edges and compact the surface.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  crittersf1 August 24th 2011, 8:06 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Blasting the surface with or w/o spray will eliminate the sharp edges and compact the surface.

Making them less detonation prone
crittersf1
crittersf1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down