BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

electric waterpump drive???

+4
69F100
TorinoGT
kjett
stanggt
8 posters

Go down

electric waterpump drive??? Empty electric waterpump drive???

Post  stanggt September 6th 2011, 8:19 pm

installed a moroso electric water pump drive on my mustang, when driving on the street for parades and cruises should I run a thermostat or a restrictor plate? will the gear that comes with unit work fine or do I need the overdrive pulley? I need to keep this thing running cool. What is too hot for these engines with Aluminum heads? Thanks in advance
stanggt
stanggt

Back to top Go down

electric waterpump drive??? Empty Re: electric waterpump drive???

Post  kjett September 6th 2011, 9:58 pm

Not sure on the street, but I've ran one for the last couple of years on my mud truck with no thermostat and just turn the pump on as the motor warms up. As for on the street, as long as your radiator and fans are up to snuff, it should run fairly cool with the pump on. The pulleys that came in the kit only move the water in a stock pump about the same as idle, so if you want to move the water faster you need to underdrive pulley kit for it. My only reasoning for pullimy my drive kit off for an electric pump was because I was throwing belts from mud getting into the motor.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  TorinoGT September 8th 2011, 2:03 pm

I have a 100% street driven BBF, and I do all the local cruises, including the Woodward dream cruise. Ive been running an electric motor to drive my mechanical pump for years now. I use the over drive pulley on the electric motor. I also use a Robert Shaw high flow style thermostat. Assuming you have enough radiator and fan, this set up will keep the car cool without problem. For me, my engine will run just a few degrees above whatever thermostat I run... I am currently running a 180 tstat, and under extreme driving, and upper 90 degree mich weather, I never got the water temp past 195.

I think one of the key ingredients is the high flow Robert Shaw thermostat.

FYI, my car actually runs COOLER during times of idle and slow cruise (due to the engine not building as much heat) running just over 180. During cruising (sustained RPMs) it will get close to 190.

Shane
TorinoGT
TorinoGT

Back to top Go down

Post  stanggt September 10th 2011, 3:46 pm

TorinoGT wrote:I have a 100% street driven BBF, and I do all the local cruises, including the Woodward dream cruise. Ive been running an electric motor to drive my mechanical pump for years now. I use the over drive pulley on the electric motor. I also use a Robert Shaw high flow style thermostat. Assuming you have enough radiator and fan, this set up will keep the car cool without problem. For me, my engine will run just a few degrees above whatever thermostat I run... I am currently running a 180 tstat, and under extreme driving, and upper 90 degree mich weather, I never got the water temp past 195.

I think one of the key ingredients is the high flow Robert Shaw thermostat.

FYI, my car actually runs COOLER during times of idle and slow cruise (due to the engine not building as much heat) running just over 180. During cruising (sustained RPMs) it will get close to 190.

Shane
I have the od pulley with an hp Griffin radiator but only one big fan pushing through and doesnt seem to work very well, tried to run a parade today and kept slowly climbing up to 220-230 before I pulled off and shut it down. On my way to parade this morning it only ran 180 and on the way home it climed up to 210-215. What fans do you run and I also think they would work better pulling than pushing dont you? Thanks for info
stanggt
stanggt

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 September 10th 2011, 3:57 pm

yes the electric fan works better pulling with a sharoud than pushing I would not run one in the front unless they are not enough room from the engine.One thing to think about with the fan in the front it will block some air flow from rad from the motor and fan housing
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  stanggt September 10th 2011, 4:29 pm

69F100 wrote:yes the electric fan works better pulling with a sharoud than pushing I would not run one in the front unless they are not enough room from the engine.One thing to think about with the fan in the front it will block some air flow from rad from the motor and fan housing
ya, thats what I was thinking also.Thats how I got the car, I did pick up a duel fan/shroud set-up to put on back of rad to pull, I have 2" to work with, I just need to mount the ttrans cooler up front of rad. They have it backwards.
stanggt
stanggt

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 September 10th 2011, 6:31 pm

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/10/Mark8Fan/

Look at all 3 pages

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf September 11th 2011, 8:21 am

res0rli9 wrote:http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/10/Mark8Fan/

Look at all 3 pages

That is a good article. There are a ton of OEM fans you can use that work excellent. The Mark VIII fan is actually hard to get and more expensive because of it's popularity. I used one from a Taurus I believe and it works excellent as well. You can't beat the prices either, 20 some bucks at pull a part.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 September 11th 2011, 12:40 pm

jasonf wrote:
res0rli9 wrote:http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/10/Mark8Fan/

Look at all 3 pages

That is a good article. There are a ton of OEM fans you can use that work excellent. The Mark VIII fan is actually hard to get and more expensive because of it's popularity. I used one from a Taurus I believe and it works excellent as well. You can't beat the prices either, 20 some bucks at pull a part.

Yes, They use both, Here's the page for the Taurus fan Smile
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/02/electricfan/index.php

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TorinoGT September 12th 2011, 8:57 am

stanggt wrote:I have the od pulley with an hp Griffin radiator but only one big fan pushing through and doesnt seem to work very well, tried to run a parade today and kept slowly climbing up to 220-230 before I pulled off and shut it down. On my way to parade this morning it only ran 180 and on the way home it climed up to 210-215. What fans do you run and I also think they would work better pulling than pushing dont you? Thanks for info

I never had any luck with pusher fans (I once tried a mechanical fan, with an electric pusher) but it never cooled the car enough.

Get the biggest (CFM) fans you can fit set as pullers on your radiator. Do whatever it takes to fit them in. I had the front engine dress on my car modified and "pulled back" closer to the engine to fit the dual puller fans. my power steering bracket and crank pully are both modified to be closer to the engine itself to create enough room for one of the fans motor.

Shane
TorinoGT
TorinoGT

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger September 12th 2011, 1:40 pm

I have had good luck with pusher fans for years the one thing I have found though is you do not want a shroud with a pusher fan set-up. I have run pushers on several bigblock Mustangs and Rangers I have built for myself and others.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  stanggt September 12th 2011, 4:26 pm

TorinoGT wrote:
stanggt wrote:I have the od pulley with an hp Griffin radiator but only one big fan pushing through and doesnt seem to work very well, tried to run a parade today and kept slowly climbing up to 220-230 before I pulled off and shut it down. On my way to parade this morning it only ran 180 and on the way home it climed up to 210-215. What fans do you run and I also think they would work better pulling than pushing dont you? Thanks for info

I never had any luck with pusher fans (I once tried a mechanical fan, with an electric pusher) but it never cooled the car enough.

Get the biggest (CFM) fans you can fit set as pullers on your radiator. Do whatever it takes to fit them in. I had the front engine dress on my car modified and "pulled back" closer to the engine to fit the dual puller fans. my power steering bracket and crank pully are both modified to be closer to the engine itself to create enough room for one of the fans motor.

Shane
I picked up a nice 2 fan set-up, going to get that baby mounted up this week for this weekends cruise. Should have better luck with this set-up. Thanks for info.

Chris
stanggt
stanggt

Back to top Go down

Post  TorinoGT September 13th 2011, 5:15 pm

Id still consider ordering a robert shaw high flow thermostat (prob be worth ordering a 160 and a 180) and see which one the car likes better... I used to run the 160 in my iron head 466, as it seemed to hold the heat more, and took longer to cool off, so the lower open temp seemed to help keep the engine temps down. My current alum head stroker ran TOO cool with the 160, so I switched to the 180.

Shane

Keep us posted on how the new fans work out, bear in mind that with the ambient air temps being lower this time of year, you might not necessarily be out of the woods with your cooling issues.
TorinoGT
TorinoGT

Back to top Go down

Post  stanggt September 14th 2011, 12:35 pm

TorinoGT wrote:Id still consider ordering a robert shaw high flow thermostat (prob be worth ordering a 160 and a 180) and see which one the car likes better... I used to run the 160 in my iron head 466, as it seemed to hold the heat more, and took longer to cool off, so the lower open temp seemed to help keep the engine temps down. My current alum head stroker ran TOO cool with the 160, so I switched to the 180.

Shane

Keep us posted on how the new fans work out, bear in mind that with the ambient air temps being lower this time of year, you might not necessarily be out of the woods with your cooling issues.
where do I get a robert shaw stat from? I currantly have a high flow fail safe MR Gasket stat in it right now, 180*
stanggt
stanggt

Back to top Go down

Post  TorinoGT September 15th 2011, 1:30 am

If youre already running a high flow t-stat, then you will probably be alright. Im not sure how the Mr Gasket tstat compares to the robert shaw.

but if your enclined to purchase one, I got mine through stewart components http://www.stewartcomponents.com/

Not sure if any of the dealers on here can supply you with one or not.

Shane
TorinoGT
TorinoGT

Back to top Go down

Post  cobra501 September 15th 2011, 6:49 am

Moroso sells the Robert Shaw thermostats! Its written on the package.
cobra501
cobra501

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum