BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overheated engine. Now, it knocking.

4 posters

Go down

Overheated engine. Now, it knocking.  Empty Overheated engine. Now, it knocking.

Post  96Mustang460cid September 10th 2011, 10:28 am

I was driving my Mustang around when it overheated. Instead of pulling over and waiting for it to cool off, I tried to limp it home. Now, it knocks...Sad.

I've never actually had an engine that knocked and really never put much thought into what causes an engine to knock. I know that it's normally called a, "Rod Knock", but I'm not sure if the rods are what's actually knocking. I'd like to pull the engine and try to fix it in an economical fashion. I plan to build an upgraded engine down the road, but am not ready to take that step right now. Before pulling the engine, though, I hope to have a reasonable plan of attack for fixing it. The engine still runs fine...just knocks.

So, when an engine is overheated and starts knocking, where could the knock be originating from: rod bearings, piston pins, pistons, main bearings?? I hope it's as simple as pulling the engine, getting it on the engine stand upside down, and swapping out some bearings.

Have a good day!
Michael
96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

Overheated engine. Now, it knocking.  Empty Re: Overheated engine. Now, it knocking.

Post  richter69 September 10th 2011, 10:43 am

piston.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Overheated engine. Now, it knocking.  Empty Re: Overheated engine. Now, it knocking.

Post  rmcomprandy September 10th 2011, 11:41 am

ANY or multiples of the above mentioned.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  96Mustang460cid September 10th 2011, 2:55 pm

richter69 wrote:piston.

This is more of a curiosity line of questions than an, "I need to know exactly what's wrong with my car" line of questions.

So, if it is a piston. What actually happened to the piston to cause the audible noise now? If it's a rod knock, what would have actually happened to the rods or rod bearings to cause the audible knock? Basically, when an engine overheats, what's actually happening to the dimensions of the parts? If it were a rod knock, would a set of bearings normally fix it? Or do the rods commonly go oval? Do the pistons expand so much that it scuffs the cylinders?

Thanks for entertaining my questions Smile.

Have a good day!
Michael

96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 September 10th 2011, 3:25 pm

When a engine overheats to wear it start knock you have cooked the oil. Just like cooking grease thick until you put it in a pan/pot and heat it to cook with it get real thin.That is the same thing engine oil does when you run a engine hot until it starts steaming/steaming water mean you have got it past boiling point and the oil is as thin as water and not protecting bearings causing them to knock and beat the crank,rods,and mains.I would say it not going to be a easy fix if it knocking from rod or main bearing you need to pull the crank and have it turned down to clean it up and if it a rod have them checked.Your bearings will more than likely be blackish.The wirst pins not getting oil can make it knock by the pin trying to lock down on the pin.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum