BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Axle question

4 posters

Go down

Axle question Empty Axle question

Post  61coon September 14th 2011, 10:00 am

I got a question about my new axles i'm putting in the falcon.The hub on the end of the axle is flush with the outside surface of the brake rotor.So this means the only locating i have on my wheel are my lugs.I thought that the hub of the axle should pass through the rotor and wheel and locate on both? Am I wrong on thinking this way or what?---RED
61coon
61coon

Back to top Go down

Axle question Empty Re: Axle question

Post  richter69 September 14th 2011, 10:54 am

my strange axles have the 5/8 drive lugs, the shank of the lugs locate the brake rotor hat as well as the wheel.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  61coon September 14th 2011, 10:59 am

richter69 wrote:my strange axles have the 5/8 drive lugs, the shank of the lugs locate the brake rotor hat as well as the wheel.

Well that makes me feel better.I've never had a set of aftermarket axles before and I didn't know how the centering deal worked.Thanks Jon.
61coon
61coon

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield September 14th 2011, 11:12 am

Red here is a link that might help ! https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield September 14th 2011, 11:48 am

Red here is some more info!

Wheel Mounting.
Wheels can be aligned with the hub in two ways: either thru their lug nuts or via the hub-centric or center pilot of the wheel. Yes, that center hole in the back of your OEM aluminium wheel is what aligns the center of your wheel to the center of the hub. That is how our T/E/Ls are aligned if they have the OEM alloy wheels. This is important to note for our T/E/Ls, since the lug nuts just retain the wheels on the car, they do not align them.

Now, an aluminium wheel placed in contact with a steel hub will corrode galvanically over time, enlarging the pilot hole and misaligning the center of your wheels with the center of the hub the next time you dismount them. To check for this problem, dismount the wheels and measure the diameter of the pilot hole in various places and compare with the mounting flange diameter on the hub. Note: when my wheels were brand new, I always had to fight with them to remove them, they were so tightly mounted to the flange. To prevent the galvanic reaction just use a light coat of anti-seize or grease (just don't get any on the rotors - yes, it will not go onto the rotors if you just wipe a light coat on.) Note that a wheel that is only 0.006 in.
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 14th 2011, 9:59 pm

my lugs locate mine,the rotor hat is thick so they have to.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  61coon September 14th 2011, 10:12 pm

Thanks for the advice fellas.---RED
61coon
61coon

Back to top Go down