BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sudden Death Mustang II Engine help needed

5 posters

Go down

Sudden Death Mustang II Engine help needed Empty Sudden Death Mustang II Engine help needed

Post  SuddenDeath September 20th 2011, 5:36 pm

I finally have the car stripped down for paint. I don't plan on a complete rebuild of this engine, but am planning on new heads.

Basic specs: 4.39 bore, 4.15 stroke, Roush crank, carrillo rods, BRC pistons, 4 bolt block, D3VE heads w/2.25's, adjustable valvetrain, cleaned up ports, solid roller.

Pistons appear to be 18cc dish? There is an old part number on them: BRC 58

As you can see the decks (and old heads) are O ringed. This, along with the larger chamber D3VE heads/dished pistons were part of going to twin turbos which were on the car when I got it. They were done in 1981 by Jack Roush.

With the process of going back to NA, I'm planning on new Blue Thunder aluminum heads, ported/flowed. I would rather not have to groove them for O rings if possible.

My question: Can I remove the existing O rings and run a larger diameter bore head gasket safely? I was thinking a 4.7"+ bore gasket would put the sealing ring outside the existing O ring groove. OR, could I install a smaller diameter O ring material which would not interfere with the head gasket once compressed?

Just looking for options that would be acceptable to avoid grooving the new heads if possible without requiring an entire engine teardown/decking the block. The engine runs perfectly with no issues, so I hate to disassemble the bottom end unless I have to.

Here is a photo of the existing O ring/piston:

Sudden Death Mustang II Engine help needed BRCpistonsORingeddecks4

Thanks for your expertise! I want to get this right.

Tom
SuddenDeath
SuddenDeath

Back to top Go down

Sudden Death Mustang II Engine help needed Empty Re: Sudden Death Mustang II Engine help needed

Post  BigDave65 September 20th 2011, 5:54 pm

My A-460 block had O-rings, and I wanted to use Cometic gaskets. The shop set my block up in the decking machine, made sure the rings were hammered in good, and just took a .003 skim cut across the deck, leaving it smooth as a baby's butt for the Cometics to seal against.

BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Sudden Death Mustang II Engine help needed Empty Re: Sudden Death Mustang II Engine help needed

Post  DanH September 20th 2011, 6:44 pm

like Big Dave said , I got a block done that way , use any gasket , even if it crosses the O ring

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  SuddenDeath September 20th 2011, 6:54 pm

Thanks guys! I'll get some heads ordered up and take those, the shortblock, and the old heads over to Powered by Ford in Orlando and from you've said, we should be able to come up with a fix.

SuddenDeath
SuddenDeath

Back to top Go down

Post  SuddenDeath September 20th 2011, 6:55 pm

Here is the bottom end as I opened it up. It has an XE numbered oil pump and a hose/pickup bolted to the pan bottom.

Sudden Death Mustang II Engine help needed SDEngineBottomEnd1

SuddenDeath
SuddenDeath

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 September 20th 2011, 11:40 pm

( Quote ) and a hose/pickup bolted to the pan bottom.

gota pic of that

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  SuddenDeath September 21st 2011, 5:34 pm

Here ya go...pics of the oil pump/pick up system

Sudden Death Mustang II Engine help needed CanAmXEOilpump1

Sudden Death Mustang II Engine help needed SDOilSystem1

SuddenDeath
SuddenDeath

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 September 22nd 2011, 1:54 am

Well you learn something new everyday, That's a first..
Gess the pickup follows the oil around the pan so it don't run dry Smile

Thanks for the pic

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  SuddenDeath September 22nd 2011, 7:35 am

Must have been a misconception...the pickup does not move in the pan to "follow the oil around", it is bolted into the bottom/rear of the pan.
SuddenDeath
SuddenDeath

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 September 22nd 2011, 8:32 am

SuddenDeath wrote:Must have been a misconception...the pickup does not move in the pan to "follow the oil around", it is bolted into the bottom/rear of the pan.

NO misconception. Laughing I was J/K

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea September 22nd 2011, 12:09 pm

I did a FE oil pan like that when I had it in my car. Worked great!

D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down