BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Start REtard Box ?

4 posters

Go down

Start REtard Box ? Empty Start REtard Box ?

Post  colormebad October 7th 2011, 10:47 am

Had a friend bring a car over wanted me to check out why the time keeps getting off..He said everytime he would set the time' take it down the rd and floor it a few times' come back and it would be running different and have to reset the time...I took a tq wrench and turned the crank and watched the rotor button! Wasn't any more play than normal' have seen alot worse..I undone the start/retard box and just plugged the dist straight to the ign box...Drove it myself and it pulled hard and strong and never missed a lick...Any of you guys seen these retard boxes cause this problem? I fix 6 and 6AL msd's everyday...But havent been able to get any parts for the retard boxes yet....thanks

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Start REtard Box ? Empty Re: Start REtard Box ?

Post  bosshoss October 7th 2011, 12:16 pm

If its a Ford check the roll pin in the distributor gear.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle October 7th 2011, 12:32 pm

I've had a Chevy that the timing kept creeping around on. We found that the dizzy wasn't tight enough to the block when the clamp was tight and the dizzy would turn as the RPMs went up. This thing would lose a few degrees every pass...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Start REtard Box ? Empty Me

Post  knrclark October 7th 2011, 7:49 pm

I had a similar problem when I was trying to fix my starter problem. I installed a retard box and had a lot of trouble with it being consistent. I can't say I was having to move the distributor every time but the timing jumped around a lot. In addition it seemed to work sometimes and not others. I had an MSD tech explain to me how it works and it all made sense. I'm not technically able to explain it to you now but in essence, the box works on averages and will not retard the exact same every time. Long story short, the timing was not my starting problem and I removed the retard box and all is well now. I believe the box would have been more consistent with down track retards instead of on start up.
knrclark
knrclark
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down