BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bent pushrod!! Need some advice please

+17
schmitty
the Coug
dfree383
56Tbird
Mark Miller
XEngr
crittersf1
jasonf
bosshoss
zbob
Lem Evans
cool40
69F100
501ranger
TRUKPULR
IcallhimGeorge
Cobbcfi
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bent pushrod!!  Need some advice please - Page 2 Empty Re: Bent pushrod!! Need some advice please

Post  Cobbcfi November 8th 2011, 3:44 am

I am not sure where you guys live, but can you here me cursing??? Seriously, can you hear me?? My neighbors are prolly gonna call the cops!!

Cobbcfi

Back to top Go down

Bent pushrod!!  Need some advice please - Page 2 Empty Re: Bent pushrod!! Need some advice please

Post  Cobbcfi November 8th 2011, 3:49 am

It appears that most of the chaffed rod was pushed up and down and seemed to stay on the rod and flange out... How much of that metal am I missing from 16 rods that could have gotten away and how much ended up in my oil filter that can be changed? Can changing the filter and oil often clean out this debris and same me from doing a tear down of the engine. I could just sell the car but I don't want to screw someone else! confused

Cobbcfi

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 November 8th 2011, 4:25 am

Honestly its not a big deal to pull the motor and check everything out.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird November 8th 2011, 9:01 am

I'm being serious .It sux . I've been there and done that. You'll be surprised how much metal is going to be down in the botom end of your engine. But, like Dave(DFree) said, it's really not that big of a deal to tear it down and clean it once you convince yourself to do it. Where are you located? You can probably get a forum member to help you if your close to anyone? This is a great bunch of guys here,even though we all don't see eye to eye sometimes. It seems there is always someone willing to step up and help a brother out, but do yourself a huge favor and pull the engine and tear it down.
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug November 8th 2011, 10:50 am

Hey you can do it right or you can roll the dice and just fix what you wish. but you will have a better chance on the Crap table being blind and shooting the dice... your call do it now or do it later
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Cobbcfi November 8th 2011, 7:10 pm

I am going to run a magnet across the top of the head and in the intake area and also ull apart the oil filter to see if in fact I have metal flakes in the engine at all. It looks like the metal on the rods was pressed up and down and not shaved off.

I have a very sensitive scale, can I weigh all of the rods to see if there are differences in weight meaning that metal is missing or are the rods themselves not that exact to begin with??

Cobbcfi

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty November 8th 2011, 7:25 pm

The engine was running when the pushrods were being chewed up, and oil was moving, and that moving oil carrying that metal was sent through all of the engine, and that metal was surrounding the crank journals and being embedded into the main and rod bearings where it has scratched the crank. It will be much easier to remove the engine and clean and replace all of the bearings and maybe get lucky "NOW" and save the crank and possibly get away with just a polish on it. If you let that metal in the bearings continue to scratch on the crank, it will add more metal to the oil, and compound the problem you have now and possibly ruin the crank beyond repair. I've been down this road before as have quite a few of us, and it never gets better by just ignoring what needs to be done, and a complete tear down and cleaning is what needs to be done. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 8th 2011, 7:51 pm

cut the filter open, I cant imagine the debris was of any size..................not sure how much damage it could have done.............would I take it apart? sure..............but honestly the fine bit that gets past the filter will or should embed into the bearings....................will it affect the performance or life of the engine..........who knows.

I've seen worse sent through these 6.4 turds (they eat valve train parts up like crazy) and they go right on down the road.............. Hell Mike did a turbo on one last week and it was making noise so bad you couldnt hear the lifters ticking, after he replaced the turbo it was evident it had no oil pressure...and who knows for how long. A small piece of a staple or something got stuck in the regulator and was the culprit...........cleaned it out and it went back to normal...........I'm surte it will come back but they always do anyway so be it lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Bent pushrod!!  Need some advice please - Page 2 Empty Cobbcfi

Post  TRUKPULR November 8th 2011, 8:02 pm

Listen to what we are all saying here .. you'll be money ahead by taking it out and tearing it down. Fix it RIGHT now and enjoy it for years to come.

Dan
TRUKPULR
TRUKPULR

http://www.shazampulling.com

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 8th 2011, 8:24 pm

I'd also be concerned that this was not the only mistake made.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 8th 2011, 8:46 pm

richter69 wrote:I'd also be concerned that this was not the only mistake made.

X2,if he wasn't smart enough too put hardened pushrods in it,hard to tell what else isn't right. Rolling Eyes

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 8th 2011, 10:22 pm

true! BUT............the shit from the pushrods went in the oil and the next place it's gona go is the pump,then the filter.cut the filter open and check it out.if the filter did'nt get it then its too damn small to hurt it!sorry but i'd put some rods in it and run that SOB!..............JMFO drunken
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 8th 2011, 10:48 pm

cool40 wrote:
true! BUT............the shit from the pushrods went in the oil and the next place it's gona go is the pump,then the filter.cut the filter open and check it out.if the filter did'nt get it then its too damn small to hurt it!sorry but i'd put some rods in it and run that SOB!..............JMFO drunken

this was also what I was trying to get at lol. Its just a matter of how far your willing to go.............
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 8th 2011, 10:52 pm

richter69 wrote:
cool40 wrote:

this was also what I was trying to get at lol. Its just a matter of how far your willing to go.............
the pump is all that coulda got hurt,wtf is a filter for?lol. if it's still got good oil psi,run that bitch!
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug November 8th 2011, 11:21 pm

ok you are tight A$$ so just put some new pushrods in it and run the F^$K out of it, This is what you want someone to say so go Freakin do it.................. BUT when the SOB Shits the bed Do Not come and say we didn't warn you......... So shut the Freak up and patch it and go.....and quit asking our opinion if you don't wish to hear it......Oh you know why spend money on a new set of Push rods just go to the junk yard a get a set they shouldn't cost you but maybe $5 bucks or so considering you don't care about your engine why buy new, hell they are good enough for you.....

Last edited by the Coug on November 9th 2011, 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 8th 2011, 11:40 pm

the Coug wrote:ok you are tight A$$ so just put some new pushrods in it and run the F^$K out of it, This is what you want someone to say so go Freakin do it.................. BUT when the SOB Shits the bed Do Not come and say we didn't warn you......... So shut the Freak up and patch it and go.....and quit asking our opinion if you don't wish to hear it......Oh you know why spend money on a new set of Push rods just go to the junk yard a get a set they shouldn't cost you but maybe $5 bucks or so concidering you don't care about your engine why buy new, hell they are good enough for you.....
lol! lol! now coug...........dont get all pissed.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug November 8th 2011, 11:45 pm

cool40 wrote:
the Coug wrote:ok you are tight A$$ so just put some new pushrods in it and run the F^$K out of it, This is what you want someone to say so go Freakin do it.................. BUT when the SOB Shits the bed Do Not come and say we didn't warn you......... So shut the Freak up and patch it and go.....and quit asking our opinion if you don't wish to hear it......Oh you know why spend money on a new set of Push rods just go to the junk yard a get a set they shouldn't cost you but maybe $5 bucks or so concidering you don't care about your engine why buy new, hell they are good enough for you.....
lol! lol! now coug...........dont get all pissed.

Lee I am not Pissed just 50 people have told him what is going on and it needs fixed so he wants to be cheap and ignore it so thats what he should do just go grab some junk from the scrap yard and fix it....
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 November 8th 2011, 11:47 pm

Coug, you need to get back on the day shift........ I love you I love you I love you
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  XEngr November 9th 2011, 4:02 pm

We've all been there, start a project and take it to a so called expert and the timing is six weeks and so much money and then six weeks later its just started but the cam is the wrong one from what was ordered and half the money is used up. Then twelve weeks later its still in little pieces and now its the lifters that are wrong and two thirds of the money is used up. Then one year later, after twelve trips to the shop using up $50 in gas each time the project is still in pieces and there is still one part not right thats holding the whole thing up.

This is especially true for any type of bodywork or painting. But it holds true when making parts or fabbing.

Then you learn your lesson and either do it yourself or else make dam sure there is good accountable paperwork involved stating what is going to happen when and how much it costs.

Seems like when the economy started going south is when more and more of these problems happened. The days of a hand shake are over with.

There are a bunch of low-lifes, at least in the Detroit area, who pull this kind of crap on people on a regular basis and amazing enough they are still alive and keep on doing it.

If it were legal, I'd post a whole list of names of jokers to stay away from, both from personal experience and discussions with friends.

XEngr

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt November 9th 2011, 4:19 pm

XEngr wrote:We've all been there, start a project and take it to a so called expert and the timing is six weeks and so much money and then six weeks later its just started but the cam is the wrong one from what was ordered and half the money is used up. Then twelve weeks later its still in little pieces and now its the lifters that are wrong and two thirds of the money is used up. Then one year later, after twelve trips to the shop using up $50 in gas each time the project is still in pieces and there is still one part not right thats holding the whole thing up.

This is especially true for any type of bodywork or painting. But it holds true when making parts or fabbing.

Then you learn your lesson and either do it yourself or else make dam sure there is good accountable paperwork involved stating what is going to happen when and how much it costs.

Seems like when the economy started going south is when more and more of these problems happened. The days of a hand shake are over with.

There are a bunch of low-lifes, at least in the Detroit area, who pull this kind of crap on people on a regular basis and amazing enough they are still alive and keep on doing it.

If it were legal, I'd post a whole list of names of jokers to stay away from, both from personal experience and discussions with friends.

As long as you don't lie, there is nothing unlawful about posting your opinion.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffgfg November 9th 2011, 7:32 pm

Hey Cobbcfi,
Listen to what these guys are telling you! There is more knowledge here about the 429-460 than anywhere else. If these guys tell you to pull the engine and rebuild it DO IT!!! My question is why would you even want to chance slapping a couple of push rods back into it and driving it knowing that it's just going to self destruct??? Years ago I bent some push rods in my 429SCJ torino as I was ordering new push rods my engine guy told me to pull the heads as I might have bent some valves... Lucky I did I had 6 bent valves. I'm sure that you can't JUST bend push rods and not have ANY other damage. Lesson learned. Now go pull that engine and post the pictures. You won't be sorry.

jeffgfg

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird November 9th 2011, 8:11 pm

AT least pull the pan and a couple of rods caps and see what's happened so far. I'll bet you money ,that there is flakes of metal in the rod bearings already. If not ,slap her back together and pour the coal to her!!
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 9th 2011, 9:08 pm

56Tbird wrote:. If not ,slap her back together and pour the coal to her!!

Sound s like something my daddy told me one time,but worded a little different Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2