BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tnt on M5 today

3 posters

Go down

tnt on M5 today Empty tnt on M5 today

Post  cool40 October 16th 2011, 12:35 am

i tried the m5 again today and it made more power for sure,just could'nt put it down.the tires took a good beat'n,got the left one into the quarter again Mad i ended up goen down on the chip to 4200 to keep it from doen what it did in this video.the tnt track was fair but the car would go left too much to stay in it at 4800 launch.last pass @ 4200 was 1.19 60',5.36@127mph.i still think it's got 20's in it,just ran outa time today to tune it on m5.good stuff tho,watch the folks clear the lane Laughing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl0qPeiqo-g
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

tnt on M5 today Empty Re: tnt on M5 today

Post  DILLIGASDAVE October 16th 2011, 7:13 am

cool40 wrote:.........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl0qPeiqo-g
Looks damn good, the M5 is giving it some good "grunt". Man that left lane's groove looks to be sitting way off center. Is it always shifted that far to the right side of the lane, or was yesterday just a "bad day" for the left lane?

Looking at the video frame by frame that is a damn stout initial hit smack with a decent amount of suspension separation distance/speed. It's really putting a good initial "slap" on the sidewalls planting/wadding them up a bunch. Hard to tell how much of that is due to the torque combined with either the air pressure being a little too low or the shock extension valving being a little too loose (or both together). You might try to work the the 60ft a little each pass by either adding a little air pressure (pass to pass) or tighten the shock extension valving a little (pass to pass).

The car did have a very slight slick sidewall bounce/skip during the recovery period (while the front end was in the air) after the initial hit. Judging from the rim motion vs the fender wheel opening, the bounce/skip might have been the shock's compression valving being a little too tight (or the spring rate a little too stiff), forcing the slick sidewall to become more of the car's "spring".

I don't think the initial hit dead-hook hurt the launch as far as lugging the car/engine down goes judging from the engine sound. But the high wheelstand from the dead-hook might have wasted a little bit of time. Putting the wheelie bars back on the car & inducing a little initial wheelspeed instead of a dead-hook might be something to think about trying. But finding the "best" dead-hook vs wheelspeed adjustment can be a heck of a balancing act on ladder bar cars.

The front end bounce/bounce landing was probably more from getting back in the gas at that point more than anything else.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 16th 2011, 11:21 am

dead hook and no bars will give you a hell of a ride.............. Wink but it aint good for going rounds let me tell ya.........

The M5 is good stuff for what it is......... Cool
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 October 16th 2011, 12:44 pm

Dave i tried tire psi from 8 to 7 and ended up at 6,where it hooked up at.higher than 6 and it just spun the tires.my shocks are 1 click off full tight in that video.i'm like'n the m5 ok,it let me know how hard it'll be to deal with the new motor when it's ready.lol i'm realy thinking i'll build a new chassis with 4-link cuz it'll only get harder to deal with later.this old car works good for a footbrake deal,lol 1.24 60',5.40. i knew the tires were taking a hard hit when the left one got the quarter.....again! that kinda pissed me off cuz the paint was still nice for 15yr old.hell, both sides need to be stretched and redone anyway :roll:Dave,after watching the video i nitice the left lane had the shadow on the left side from the center/starter booth.that coulda had something to do with it goen left on me.not many cars for tnt or i'd been in the right lane anyway,looks like i shoulda tried it. tnt on M5 today 68_00510
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE October 16th 2011, 8:13 pm

cool40 wrote:...............that coulda had something to do with it goen left on me............
Or it could be launching to the left a little just because of the added M5 torque loading.

Increasing the power/torque can increase the chassis rotational torque loading (& traction) over to the passenger/right side slick. That can cause the car to launch/drive to the left under load. If increased power from the M5 is in fact the cause then you might try removing a little ladder bar preload from the passenger/right side bar to nudge the launch back a little toward center.

Also take a real good look at your housing centering device. Make sure it's not [edit lol] allowing the housing/slick to move to the left & bite the driver side fender.

Last edited by DILLIGASDAVE on October 16th 2011, 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 October 16th 2011, 8:32 pm

i think the separation on the hit caused the trouble with the tire.last week was the first time it did it when i had the shocks 2 clicks looser for footbrake racing,she realy cut up that pass! my locator should'nt let the housing move any unless it got bent.lol.tnt on M5 today 68_00110
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum