BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installing a comp cams composite dist. gear

+4
dfree383
10SHOTS
the Coug
jasonf
8 posters

Go down

Installing a comp cams composite dist. gear Empty Installing a comp cams composite dist. gear

Post  jasonf October 19th 2011, 3:49 pm

What is the best method for installing a composite dist. gear? I don't know how strong it is and I don't want to mess it up. I called Comp Cams and there was no answer. Much be lunch time. lol!
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Installing a comp cams composite dist. gear Empty Re: Installing a comp cams composite dist. gear

Post  jasonf October 19th 2011, 5:11 pm

I got ahold of Comp and they said the gear is supposed to slip right on with no interference at all. The gear ID is too small by 0.003-0.004.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Installing a comp cams composite dist. gear Empty Re: Installing a comp cams composite dist. gear

Post  the Coug October 19th 2011, 5:25 pm

jason is the gear ment for this cam if not just use what they suggest.... it is just a driver.....
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  10SHOTS October 20th 2011, 10:43 am

jasonf wrote:What is the best method for installing a composite dist. gear? I don't know how strong it is and I don't want to mess it up. I called Comp Cams and there was no answer. Much be lunch time. lol!
does comp make one for a bigblock ?
10SHOTS
10SHOTS

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf October 20th 2011, 9:57 pm

It is on my windsor. It is a cast hyd roller so that is what Comp recommends or else use an MSD gear with the melonite coating. Problem is I am not sure what the last MSD gear was but it sure caused a boat load of damage. I would rather buy a new composite gear every couple years then all this hassle. 2000 miles

Installing a comp cams composite dist. gear Camgear
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 October 21st 2011, 1:49 am

Dumb question......

You need to replace the cam...... So why not put a billet factory type cam in it with a Steel Gear (Factory Style)? They Last.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle October 21st 2011, 9:36 am

Jason already has the replacement cam. Can you just press on the composite gear? What about a bronze gear? If you can go bronze I'd do that. I think for the miles the bucket would see a year a bronze gear would be fine.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy October 21st 2011, 10:20 am

jasonf wrote:It is on my windsor. It is a cast hyd roller so that is what Comp recommends or else use an MSD gear with the melonite coating. Problem is I am not sure what the last MSD gear was but it sure caused a boat load of damage. I would rather buy a new composite gear every couple years then all this hassle. 2000 miles

Installing a comp cams composite dist. gear Camgear

Use the STEEL gear from FRPP. Though it now looks like you may need a new camshaft at the same time.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf October 21st 2011, 10:55 am

John is right, the new cam is already in. The gear has to just slip on. Comp said it would probably break if it was pressed on. They also say the composite gear is supposed to last longer then the bronze gear so I figured I would try it.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle October 21st 2011, 12:38 pm

I don't think any gear will actually just fall on. If it'll fall on then it'll more than likely shear the roll pin as well.

They all have a slight interference fit. I've had to tap all of mine on in the past. None have had to be honed in order to fit though.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf October 21st 2011, 8:31 pm

jbozzelle wrote:I don't think any gear will actually just fall on. If it'll fall on then it'll more than likely shear the roll pin as well.

They all have a slight interference fit. I've had to tap all of mine on in the past. None have had to be honed in order to fit though.

I am just going off of what Comp Cams said. I had the wife take it to the machine shop down the road and they said it was 0.0005 difference so it looks like they just hit it with some emery cloth in the lathe so the gear will slide on now.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jc10000rpm October 21st 2011, 9:53 pm

when assembling delicate interference parts, i like using temperature differential to help. freeze the shaft in your freezer for a while and drop the gear in a cup of hot water for a few minutes right before assembly. they should practically fall together

jc10000rpm

Back to top Go down

Post  The Pope October 24th 2011, 6:33 am

jc10000rpm wrote:when assembling delicate interference parts, i like using temperature differential to help. freeze the shaft in your freezer for a while and drop the gear in a cup of hot water for a few minutes right before assembly. they should practically fall together

+1
The Pope
The Pope

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down