BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

slicks or radials?

3 posters

Go down

slicks or radials? Empty slicks or radials?

Post  460Dave November 2nd 2011, 9:05 am

I have built (almost complete) a Fox bodied T-bird. It is time to buy tires, but I am a bit confused. The car is mocked up with the ET drag 29.5/10.5w 15s.

Real quick run down
Strip only 466 aluminum headed BBF, glide/brake, 9 inch/4.11, w/ stock location adjustable rear suspension. Expect to run around N. Florida tracks.

I like the idea that radials have better top end handling, last longer, don't fall off, ect., but I have read that setting the car up for radials can be tricky. What exaclty does "tricky" mean in this case? I don't want to end up frustrated because I can't find the ellusive "magic setup".

Question - Can a noobee racer use ET Street radials on a Fox Ford suspension without going crazy? (read: how difficult is it to hook consistently on the radials with this car?)

Question - Is ET Streets the way to go (if radial is chosen)?

I know there is a lot of variables and no "exact" answer. I am just looking for some feedback from someone that's been there, done that. I would hate to spend $500 on tires only to have 10 people tell me later that it was a stupid move on my part.

460Dave

Back to top Go down

slicks or radials? Empty Re: slicks or radials?

Post  studly November 2nd 2011, 10:25 am

Slicks are for drag cars if you are worried about top end stability run tubes and a stiff sidewall

ET Streets are for weekend warrirors not a very good race only tire. this is not a RADIAL

Drag Radials do last longer and are a little bit quicker than a slick, but the suspension and track has to be there. they are listed on MT website as DRAG RADIAL not ET STREETS
studly
studly

Back to top Go down

Post  studly November 2nd 2011, 10:30 am

MT also offers a RADIAL SLICK this is a very good tire for longevity and repeatablity they have not caught on quite yet but everybody that has a set here will not go back to a slick only tire.
studly
studly

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper November 2nd 2011, 10:36 am

the tire is listed as ET Street Radial.

tricky, in my book, means that the tuning window is smaller than regular slicks. Unless it is class racing I would run the tires that you mocked the car up with. Those tires are big, will last a pretty good while at your horsepower level and have a stiff sidewall (all W's do).

you need to have the rear suspension plotted and car scaled.

we run 29.5x10.5s non W tires and go 1.23-1.25 at our local tracks and 1.18-1.20 when we head east to the better surfaces with the car set up for consistancy not kill.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down