BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

convert a propane 460 to gasoline

4 posters

Go down

convert a propane 460 to gasoline Empty convert a propane 460 to gasoline

Post  olschoolsteel November 16th 2011, 2:54 pm

Just wondering if anyone here has tackled such a job or not. I see a cheap 460 in the local classifieds that has run solely on propane. From what i understand, propane is very gentle on the internals, and wear life is extended. This is already a low mileage motor. So, whats involved? Just a new intake and carb and fire it up? It's a '85 model.

I did a quick search of the site and didnt see any other topics on this so if its a repeat, i apologize.

olschoolsteel

Back to top Go down

convert a propane 460 to gasoline Empty Re: convert a propane 460 to gasoline

Post  LivermoreDave November 16th 2011, 5:11 pm

Would it be as simple as replacing the fuel delivery system? Technology may have progressed in this area, the earlier conversions (gas to propane) produced trouble for the exhaust valves and seats. That may not be the case now days. So IMO, change fuel delivery and experiment with ignition timing.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  olschoolsteel November 16th 2011, 5:46 pm

I'm hopin it would be that easy. I cant imagine that the internals would be much different than a stock gasoline 385 series.

olschoolsteel

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty November 16th 2011, 6:54 pm

There were two versions of the Natural gas/propane engine, a high compression version and a low compression version. Even though the propane engine may be low mileage, the dry nature of the fuel is hard on exhaust valves. If it runs good, and has decent compression, I'd say go for it if the price is acceptable to you. Some of these engines were shipped from the factory with the old DOOE (Cobra Jet) intakes on them. Either way these engines have standard 4bbl intakes on them, and all you have to do is remove the gas mixer and install a carb of your choice. There is a fuel pump block off plate on the timing cover that will accept a standard fuel pump. The distributor may be a marine style, and I would ditch it in favor of a standard Dura Spark dizzy. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  olschoolsteel November 16th 2011, 7:02 pm

Now thats some good info. From the pics i couldnt tell if it was a propne specific intake or not, but i had a spare cast iron intake just in case. I will go look it over to see if its a good one to drop in and fire up. I think i still have an old single point dist i can use as a trade in (at autozone) for a durasprk set up if is indeed a marine style unit.

olschoolsteel

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf November 16th 2011, 11:20 pm

What kind of intake does it have now? I thought the 85 already used a carb from the factory. Anyways, just change out the propane carb (called a mixer) with a regular Holley etc. Check your timing and recurve the distributor if needed.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down