BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Power Stroke question

2 posters

Go down

Power Stroke question Empty Power Stroke question

Post  Mike R December 3rd 2011, 12:08 am

My boss has two 97 F-350 4X4's. Both trucks have about 96,000 miles and are well maintained but have spent most of their lives idling and pushing snow. They both run good but are slow to start and are blowing white smoke when they start and smell really rich. What should we be looking for? Winter's here and I need to have these things ready to plow.

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Power Stroke question Empty Re: Power Stroke question

Post  richter69 December 3rd 2011, 12:23 am

if the smoke clears up after warm, check the glow plug relay and the glow plugs......use a multimeter instead of a test light, the glow plug replay should have less than a .5 volt drop across the two big terminals when activated, the glow plugs can be checked by removing the connectors at the valve covers, ohm between the glow plug pin and batt ground (the outer 2 pins on the 5 pin connector), should be less than 2 ohms on a cold engine. If any of the pins are dark or the plastic burnt or melted, you need to address the connector and or the vc gasket, as well as the connectors under the valve covers.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R December 3rd 2011, 12:30 am

Yes, the smoke clears after it's warm. Thanks John, I'll check it out.

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down