BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

79 Mustang- looking to switch to 5 bolt lug pattern, what other cars will swap?

5 posters

Go down

79 Mustang- looking to switch to 5 bolt lug pattern, what other cars will swap? Empty 79 Mustang- looking to switch to 5 bolt lug pattern, what other cars will swap?

Post  Bubba September 16th 2009, 6:51 pm

I just picked up a 79 Mustang for the 429 I have in my garage, I have spoke to Bob at D&D and will be ordering the swap kit in the next few days. So with the plan for the swap kit my engine concerns are addressed, but I really would like to change the front and rear wheels to a 5 bolt pattern.

My questions are as follows.

Are there any specific vehicles out that area direct swap for the front spindles, and brakes that will convert it to a 5 bolt pattern?

I do plan on putting a 9 inch in the rear in future, but am willing to run a 8.8" for now. Is there a 8.8 that is a direct swap with a 5 bolt pattern?

Bubba

Back to top Go down

79 Mustang- looking to switch to 5 bolt lug pattern, what other cars will swap? Empty Re: 79 Mustang- looking to switch to 5 bolt lug pattern, what other cars will swap?

Post  Northwest outlaw September 17th 2009, 12:52 am

you can get 5 lug axles for drit cheap for the 8.8 and for the front youll have to doulbe check just change it out with a 87 up stuff ( doulbe check )
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

79 Mustang- looking to switch to 5 bolt lug pattern, what other cars will swap? Empty Re: 79 Mustang- looking to switch to 5 bolt lug pattern, what other cars will swap?

Post  8liter September 17th 2009, 2:10 pm

Taken from here: http://www.sn95brakes.com/5lug.php

For the 79 v8, 82-86 Mustangs, and 87-93 4 cyls, you can use the 4cyl 83-88 Ranger rotors.
-For the front 87-93 v8 cars, use the rotors from a mid 80's Lincoln Continental, Lincoln Mark VII (85-91), or '84-'86 SVO. For the 79-86 and 87-93 4cyl cars, use the 83-92 4cyl Ranger front rotors. This will keep the cost down and allow you to keep the stock front brakes. You can buy the rotors for about $40-60 each. You an also purchase after market front rotors like the Power Slot brand in 5 lug. These cost about $99 each.

**Important note here! The SVO/Lincoln front rotors will NOT work with the Ford '98 & '99+ Cobra, Y2K Cobra R wheels, and '97+ GT 17" wheels. Most of the wheels will mount up ('98 cobra and the Bullitt wheels will not), but you will not be able to mount the center cap due to the larger dust cap on the rotor. To run these wheels, you need to convert over to the SN95 front brakes (this includes spindles, rotors, hubs and calipers). Alternatively you can use a wheel spacer, but it is not recommended. The Lincoln/SVO rotors will work for the' 95 Cobra R wheel, 16" SN95 Pony wheel, and '99+ 15" & 16" wheel since they have a different center design and cap. If the center of the wheel is recessed, the Lincoln/SVO dust rotor will most likely be to large for the center cap of the wheel.

-The 1995 Ford Cobra R wheel comes in two different offsets, 24 mm and 36 mm. The original Cobra R wheel, the R58, has a 24 mm backspacing which is good for all four corners of an SN-95 car. The R58 also fits well in front of a Fox body car that has the Cobra brake upgrade. But the rear of a Fox M2300-K car requires use a later model, the M179, which has 36 mm of backspacing, and therefore places the wheel 12 mm further inboard to clear the fender well. The R58 and M179 wheels are now discontinued by Ford! Keep this in mind with your conversions. I would suggest to keep the stock rear track to so you can run the aftermarket copies of the R58s on all 4 corners.
8liter
8liter

Back to top Go down

79 Mustang- looking to switch to 5 bolt lug pattern, what other cars will swap? Empty 5-lug conversion

Post  pat427 October 5th 2009, 10:11 pm

if you want to keep the stock rearend & axles for now,you can use 2 driver side axles out of a ranger."drivers side only". 8.8 & 7.5 share the same axles i do believe.pat Cool
pat427
pat427

Back to top Go down

Post  westsideford October 6th 2009, 12:10 am

Links R us:

http://mjbobbitt.home.comcast.net/~mjbobbitt/mustang/5lug.html
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down