BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Makin some chassis upgrades.........

+16
342g
Tony M
stangr8cr
DILLIGASDAVE
Doug Rahn
BRONCOBILLY7.5
jbozzelle
cool40
John Myrick
BigDave65
56Tbird
Race Ready Fabrications
dfree383
whatbumper
Barney
richter69
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Makin some chassis upgrades......... Empty Makin some chassis upgrades.........

Post  richter69 January 8th 2012, 9:11 pm

Replacing my old ladder bars and rearend/axle assy with some stuff that would make Chuck Norris proud...........

The old stuff served me well..................
Makin some chassis upgrades......... Sisters004

Mike at MDRC whipped me up this housing, it stared as a bare unit from Strange with the beefier axle tubes. internal bracing etc, added some Olds style billet housing ends, new brackets, and his own bracing system. My old Prostar rims were 15 x 12 w a 7.5 bs, I bought a used set of Weld Alumastars from the Jack austin project, added my rim screws, these are m/t 13 x 31 w tubes. I lost 2.2#'s per wheel.
Makin some chassis upgrades......... Sisters001

15" wide on the left and 12" on the right.
Makin some chassis upgrades......... Sisters002

Old set up had 35 spline stuff, went with 40 spline gun drilled axles from Strange, there was only 150 bucks or so diff in price so this was a no brainer. The new rims also allowed me to shorten the axles and housing by 4" on each side. I have yet to weight the differences but I will.

I reused my Strange iron carrier, pinion yoke and gearset, I replaced the old Strange big bearing alum support with a ball bearing unit, the bearings in the pinion, carrier, and the gearset were all REM finished, the place that does it is in the same complex as MDRC so it makes it a simple deal to get done.

Mike also built me a set of his custom ladder bars, he makes these out of like 1.25" dia cm with a wall thickness of like .160 or so, bigger adjusters etc. I had to bring the stuff home to verify the fitment before he put the final welds on the housing ends, also the bars are so stiff I had to se pinion angle before he finished welding the bars and put the braces in them, other wise you wont be able to get the bolts in the housing brackets.

This is some double tough shyt, it wasnt cheap, but it never is lol.

Makin some chassis upgrades......... Sisters002-1

Makin some chassis upgrades......... Sisters003

Makin some chassis upgrades......... Sisters001-1
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Makin some chassis upgrades......... Empty Re: Makin some chassis upgrades.........

Post  Barney January 8th 2012, 9:55 pm

Good looking stuff. Should work great.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Makin some chassis upgrades......... Empty Re: Makin some chassis upgrades.........

Post  whatbumper January 8th 2012, 10:39 pm

Ole Duffy knows his stuff. Looks good.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 8th 2012, 11:51 pm

now you need the rest of the car to go with the slick new rear !!! rabbit Laughing lol!
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Race Ready Fabrications January 9th 2012, 12:16 am

looks beefy........ Very Happy
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird January 9th 2012, 12:22 am

Good lookin rear end Laughing
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 January 9th 2012, 1:08 am

The counterbored rim screws look great. I know it really doesn't make a difference, but I'm curious if they are still considered SFI legal, since they have been modified. Most any other part isn't, if it's been altered. I would consider doing that to my wheels if it was.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  John Myrick January 9th 2012, 11:37 am

56Tbird wrote:Good lookin rear end Laughing

I have a real problem telling a guy he has a good-looking rear end Evil or Very Mad Razz
John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 9th 2012, 11:06 pm

look'n good hErO! Wink
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 9th 2012, 11:11 pm

ran the stuff back up to Mike for final welding..............the new axles are 5.8#'s lighter than the old ones, with the combined weight loss of the new rims thats 10.2 #'s..........considering its all rotating weight I'm happy..........

On the countersunk rim screw holes I'm not sure how it affects the SFI, if these had been new rims I would have had beadlocks done, but I ain't no baller lol. They will never be checked at any tracks I run, in fact I peeled the "rated for high horsepower" worn out stickers off.........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 9th 2012, 11:21 pm

richter69 wrote:ran the stuff back up to Mike for final welding..............the new axles are 5.8#'s lighter than the old ones, with the combined weight loss of the new rims thats 10.2 #'s..........considering its all rotating weight I'm happy..........

On the countersunk rim screw holes I'm not sure how it affects the SFI, if these had been new rims I would have had beadlocks done, but I ain't no baller lol. They will never be checked at any tracks I run, in fact I peeled the "rated for high horsepower" worn out stickers off.........
the new bars are gona make up for any weight loss Sad and without the sticker on the wheels your "not rated for high horsepower". Laughing you f****d,looks nice tho.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 9th 2012, 11:27 pm

the stiffness of the new bars will offset the added weight................ Wink you guys gotta quit thinking just about horsepower.................... Cool
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 January 9th 2012, 11:36 pm

richter69 wrote:the stiffness of the new bars will offset the added weight................ Wink you guys gotta quit thinking just about horsepower.................... Cool
i hear you Cool
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 10th 2012, 1:49 am

richter69 wrote:the stiffness of the new bars will offset the added weight................

Honestly, I picked up 3 tenths on my old Futura with the addition of a full roll cage. I guess 7-8 years of hard street racing (sans cage) takes it's toll on a unibody.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper January 10th 2012, 9:18 am

richter69 wrote:the stiffness of the new bars will offset the added weight................ Wink you guys gotta quit thinking just about horsepower.................... Cool

that 6lbs of rotational mass will make a difference too. When you get ready, I have a set of beadlocks for you. LOL

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  BRONCOBILLY7.5 January 10th 2012, 5:34 pm

Looks good Jon! Duff does some nice work fo sure!
BRONCOBILLY7.5
BRONCOBILLY7.5

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn January 10th 2012, 7:39 pm

BigDave65 wrote:The counterbored rim screws look great. I know it really doesn't make a difference, but I'm curious if they are still considered SFI legal, since they have been modified. Most any other part isn't, if it's been altered. I would consider doing that to my wheels if it was.

Before I bought my SFI wheels from Billet Specialties I asked them if drilling them would void the certification. This the reply they sent. I wouldn't think the counter-bore would be any different.

Drilling the wheels for tire screws will not effect the SFI certification. The certification in more based on the abuse the center and rim will encounter during use, rating and testing is focused on the spokes, lug area, and where the center is welded to the rim.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 10th 2012, 9:00 pm

whatbumper wrote:

that 6lbs of rotational mass will make a difference too. When you get ready, I have a set of beadlocks for you. LOL

10.2 pounds............. Wink

The part I countersunk was really just the outer lip that was rolled over............it will be fine. lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper January 10th 2012, 10:40 pm

richter69 wrote:
whatbumper wrote:

10.2 pounds............. Wink

The part I countersunk was really just the outer lip that was rolled over............it will be fine. lol.

Forgot to add in the wheel weight, my bad. Keep us posted.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 11th 2012, 3:38 am

Work looks damn good Jon. Cool
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 11th 2012, 11:58 am

The counterbore looks good on the wheel lip... You going to use a track locator or a wishbone?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 11th 2012, 2:05 pm

diag bar. I just got an email from Mike the stuff is all done, will go get it tonight and start puttin this thing back together................
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  stangr8cr January 11th 2012, 2:19 pm

Did the donkey swing by with that intake yet?? Laughing

Boo Boo
stangr8cr
stangr8cr
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 11th 2012, 2:22 pm

first thing I did yesterday when I got it was throw it in the parts washer to get your peter tracks off of it boo boo......... Laughing
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 11th 2012, 4:37 pm

So you got a nice rubbed on intake now too?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum