BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shim stock

2 posters

Go down

Shim stock Empty Shim stock

Post  powerstrokeace January 28th 2012, 3:54 pm

Guy's how many of you have ever used shim stock for checking clearence's. And where can you get it. I just installed a checked the clearance of my rods after ordering a .001 extra and it went from .0015 to .0020. I still think this is a little on the tight side. So a firend started talking about shim stock is how he does it. But he's 80 miles away to borrow his stuff.

Ace

Last edited by powerstrokeace on January 28th 2012, 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Shim stock Empty Re: Shim stock

Post  bbf-falcon January 28th 2012, 8:04 pm

If you don't have the right tools,you can take it down to the machine shop and have him to mic the journals and the rods.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace January 28th 2012, 8:12 pm

Cranks in the block allready and I have zero time during the day to due this. No machine shops are open on weekend as well. Ijust don't trust the plasti-gage deal 100%

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 28th 2012, 8:45 pm

Plastagage is just to give you a ball park figure imo. I used it successfully years ago before I bought the necessary tools to do it the right way.
If you can mic the crank rod journals, mark them down and maybe you can have someone to check the rods.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down