BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TrickFlow powerport 340 VS SCJ???

+4
rmcomprandy
richter69
dirt_worker
stanggt
8 posters

Go down

TrickFlow powerport 340 VS SCJ??? Empty TrickFlow powerport 340 VS SCJ???

Post  stanggt 18th February 2012, 14:44

is the TFS powerport 340 head a better head than the SCJ Kaase head for a 572 build. I have the SCJ heads now but can get a hold of some out of the box powerports as what is on Jon Kaase website for a good price. The pistons that I have were identified by Randy to be A460 design so I would need to change the pistons for my SCJ's. Or would u go for P51 and new pistons? This is my dilema at this point. Thanks for your input.
stanggt
stanggt

Back to top Go down

TrickFlow powerport 340 VS SCJ??? Empty Re: TrickFlow powerport 340 VS SCJ???

Post  dirt_worker 18th February 2012, 14:53

Guess this totally depends on your goals and overall budget.
I had P51's on mine when I first put it together...I now have tfs A460 heads. I wish id just gone w the aheads from the beginning.
dirt_worker
dirt_worker

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 18th February 2012, 14:57

pull pistons out and have them flycut for the heads you have............
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  stanggt 18th February 2012, 15:57

richter69 wrote:pull pistons out and have them flycut for the heads you have............
I can do that but didnt know how much that would affect compression and balance.
stanggt
stanggt

Back to top Go down

Post  stanggt 18th February 2012, 15:59

dirt_worker wrote:Guess this totally depends on your goals and overall budget.
I had P51's on mine when I first put it together...I now have tfs A460 heads. I wish id just gone w the aheads from the beginning.
why do you say this? what was the difference?
stanggt
stanggt

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy 18th February 2012, 17:47

stanggt wrote:is the TFS powerport 340 head a better head than the SCJ Kaase head for a 572 build. I have the SCJ heads now but can get a hold of some out of the box powerports as what is on Jon Kaase website for a good price. The pistons that I have were identified by Randy to be A460 design so I would need to change the pistons for my SCJ's. Or would u go for P51 and new pistons? This is my dilema at this point. Thanks for your input.

A POWERORT 340 is an "A" head; (will not fit OEM header and intake manifold applications) and the combustion chamber volumes are not near the same.
YES ... it is a better "power making" head.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney 18th February 2012, 17:57

rmcomprandy wrote:
stanggt wrote:is the TFS powerport 340 head a better head than the SCJ Kaase head for a 572 build. I have the SCJ heads now but can get a hold of some out of the box powerports as what is on Jon Kaase website for a good price. The pistons that I have were identified by Randy to be A460 design so I would need to change the pistons for my SCJ's. Or would u go for P51 and new pistons? This is my dilema at this point. Thanks for your input.

A POWERORT 340 is an "A" head; (will not fit OEM header and intake manifold applications) and the combustion chamber volumes are not near the same.
X2
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stanggt 18th February 2012, 18:01

rmcomprandy wrote:

Thanks Randy . So reading what u wrote, u would go for the power ports over the scj for making more power on this 572 build and having u build me a roller camshaft to compliment it running Q16 N/A. I am aware that the chambers are larger so would be down some on compression. Not worried about the headers as I will build a custom set for it when its ready to install.

Thanks again bounce
stanggt
stanggt

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney 18th February 2012, 18:08

Piston selection would determine the CR so you could compensate with dome to keep your compression. Q16 will slow you down without compression.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  stanggt 18th February 2012, 18:32

Barney wrote:Piston selection would determine the CR so you could compensate with dome to keep your compression. Q16 will slow you down without compression.
Thanks for info Barney, I will try and figure out where I would be comp wise. I need to see how many cc's the valve releifs take up and find the formula for figuring that out. Will probly get a frosty plate added to it for about 200 more.
stanggt
stanggt

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney 18th February 2012, 18:35

Anytime. On spray that thing with probably make you pee down your leg.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy 18th February 2012, 19:42

stanggt wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

Thanks Randy . So reading what u wrote, u would go for the power ports over the scj for making more power on this 572 build and having u build me a roller camshaft to compliment it running Q16 N/A. I am aware that the chambers are larger so would be down some on compression. Not worried about the headers as I will build a custom set for it when its ready to install.

Thanks again bounce

Your flat top pistons near zero deck with a unmilled Powerport 340 head would give you just under 12.2/1 compression ratio with a 572 inch engine.
An SCJ or P-51 head unmilled would be near 14/1 compression ratio.

The question here is ... would almost two points of less compression be worth more power than the "A" head architecture over the P-51 ...!

Given THAT scenario ... in my opinion, with both heads "out of the box" it would be about the same. However, the "A" head has the potential to be a LOT more powerful.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney 18th February 2012, 20:36

rmcomprandy wrote:
stanggt wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

Thanks again bounce

Your flat top pistons near zero deck with a unmilled Powerport 340 head would give you just under 12.2/1 compression ratio with a 572 inch engine.
An SCJ or P-51 head unmilled would be near 14/1 compression ratio.

The question here is ... would almost two points of less compression be worth more power than the "A" head architecture over the P-51 ...!

Given THAT scenario ... in my opinion, with both heads "out of the box" it would be about the same. However, the "A" head has the potential to be a LOT more powerful.
There would also be some other options available to help such as milling.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  stanggt 18th February 2012, 21:00

u guys are awesome and a blessing to learn from. Great info. Randy, im trying to get one of my friends to contact u for his engine needs. He already has about 22k into this 500+ cu ford and he is onlay at around 700 hp with this thing. These guys he is using around here dont know what they are doing and keep taking his money and I hate to see that happen. Funny thing is that he has good stuff that he is working with. I will keep trying. Thanks again cheers
stanggt
stanggt

Back to top Go down

Post  papamoe 18th February 2012, 22:00

I have the A340 that flowed 408@.800 on a 557 combo that made 897hp @ 7000. They didnt flow what they were suppose to out of the box but that may be normal,i think it was about 390@8 if i remember correctly.I have had no problems with them so far.

papamoe

Back to top Go down

Post  stanggt 19th February 2012, 01:14

papamoe wrote: I have the A340 that flowed 408@.800 on a 557 combo that made 897hp @ 7000. They didnt flow what they were suppose to out of the box but that may be normal,i think it was about 390@8 if i remember correctly.I have had no problems with them so far.
thats awesome,thanks for info. Very Happy
stanggt
stanggt

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger 20th February 2012, 18:49

stanggt wrote:u guys are awesome and a blessing to learn from. Great info. Randy, im trying to get one of my friends to contact u for his engine needs. He already has about 22k into this 500+ cu ford and he is onlay at around 700 hp with this thing. These guys he is using around here dont know what they are doing and keep taking his money and I hate to see that happen. Funny thing is that he has good stuff that he is working with. I will keep trying. Thanks again cheers

Wow I built a 695 pumpgas engine for $9700 with everything new except the block. $22k for 700hp someone would die!
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle 20th February 2012, 21:37

FWIW Kaase has been making 900 up with out the box P51s on a 572. If I had to buy either head for a 572 I'd opt for the A head. If you already got some SCJs just get them rubbed on and run them.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  stanggt 21st February 2012, 00:55

jbozzelle wrote:FWIW Kaase has been making 900 up with out the box P51s on a 572. If I had to buy either head for a 572 I'd opt for the A head. If you already got some SCJs just get them rubbed on and run them.
I may have my heads sold so It will be a little cheaper for me at that point to buy the A heads than it would be to replace pistons with scj pistons. I just dont want to cut these A pistons with an extra releif. we'll gitter done. What a Face
stanggt
stanggt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum