BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good standard flange aluminum head?

+5
69F100
rmcomprandy
56Tbird
richter69
blu69MachI
9 posters

Go down

Good standard flange aluminum head? Empty Good standard flange aluminum head?

Post  blu69MachI February 22nd 2012, 3:01 pm

Looking for an aluminum head to put on my 466 with flat tops. I was looking at the P51 but realised they use the CJ flange for headers.
I currently have:
flat tops
Crites Headers
460 Victor intake
the heads coming off of the engine are factory C8VE heads
this is my first BBF and I wanted to get some recommendation from you guys so I can narrow down my research.
The goal is to get a nice set of aluminum heads without having to switch out the headers and intake.
Thanks
-Jeff
blu69MachI
blu69MachI

Back to top Go down

Good standard flange aluminum head? Empty Re: Good standard flange aluminum head?

Post  richter69 February 22nd 2012, 3:39 pm

the headers wont be such an issue as the pistons/pushrods etc will be w the p51's. An Edlebrock would be a direct replacment, the TFS street would if the headers woul handle being raised approx .270............dont bother w a procomp lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Good standard flange aluminum head? Empty Re: Good standard flange aluminum head?

Post  56Tbird February 22nd 2012, 3:44 pm

The old A429 CJ's will work for you too
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 22nd 2012, 3:58 pm

Guys ... he said STANDARD exhaust port location and size, not CJ.
Even though TFS streets have a smaller exhaust port, they are still placed in a location which use a CJ header flange. All other heads mentioned also use a CJ header flange except maybe the Edelbrocks, (I am not sure about those).
Even the Pro-Comps exhaust ports are placed to use a CJ flange; (I modify them all the time by raising only the bolt holes so a regular flange fits)..

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 February 22nd 2012, 8:34 pm

my edelbrocks has standard layout exhaust this is from edelbrock site

Cylinder Head Specifications

Combustion chamber volume 75cc & 95cc
Intake runner volume 292cc
Exhaust runner volume 100cc
Intake valve diameter 2.19"
Exhaust valve diameter 1.76"
Valve stem diameter 11/32"
Valve guides Manganese bronze
Deck thickness 5/8"
Valve spring diameter 1.55"
Valve spring maximum lift .700"
Rocker stud 7/16"
Guideplate Hardended steel
Pushrod diameter 3/8"
Valve angle TBD
Exhaust port location Stock
Spark plug fitment 14mm x 3/4 reach, gasket seat
Made In USA

Technical Notes: Performer RPM 460 heads accept factory exhaust, aftermarket headers and factory valvetrain components. Requires the use of 3/8" diameter pushrods. Match with Edelbrock head gasket sets on pages 126-128. Bare heads will have valve guides and seats installed, but will require final sizing and a valve job to match the valves you will be using. Recommended spark plugs are Champion RC12YC or equivalent 14mm x 3/4" reach with flat gasket seat
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller February 23rd 2012, 1:32 am

rmcomprandy wrote:Guys ... he said STANDARD exhaust port location and size, not CJ.
Even though TFS streets have a smaller exhaust port, they are still placed in a location which use a CJ header flange. All other heads mentioned also use a CJ header flange except maybe the Edelbrocks, (I am not sure about those).
Even the Pro-Comps exhaust ports are placed to use a CJ flange; (I modify them all the time by raising only the bolt holes so a regular flange fits)..

Randy,i'm a little confused this is why.Back years ago when i had my 88 T-Bird with a BBF i had MAC 2" Swap headers and DOVE-C heads.Years later i bought Ford Motorsport A-429 Aluminum CJ heads like Dan mentioned.I used the same headers with the A-429 Heads CJ Heads as the DOVE-C heads with no problems.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  blu69MachI February 23rd 2012, 9:51 am

This is great information fellas, I started tearing into my engine to find why it was acting the way it was, and found 2 bent exhaust valves. So since I'm pulling the engine I figure I might as well get some aluminum heads for it. I have another question, I noticed that there is a difference between the heads being prepped for solid roller vs solid flat tappet. Is that more something to do with Spring and spring pressure? Does this mean that if I have a solid flat tappet now, and if I bought a set that were set up for solid roller, then I would have to worry about flattening the cam? I was planning to evenually going solid roller just not at this time. The reason why I asked is because I didnt know if it would be better to get a pair already setup for Solid roller since I plan to make the change eventually. I will start with research on the edelbrock brand. I actually like the head that was listed. thanks guys. I will keep checking back
blu69MachI
blu69MachI

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 23rd 2012, 10:18 am

yes the ft vs roller package is the springs etc, do not run a ft cam with a roller spring package lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 23rd 2012, 11:06 am

Mark Miller wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:Guys ... he said STANDARD exhaust port location and size, not CJ.

Randy,i'm a little confused this is why.Back years ago when i had my 88 T-Bird with a BBF i had MAC 2" Swap headers and DOVE-C heads.Years later i bought Ford Motorsport A-429 Aluminum CJ heads like Dan mentioned.I used the same headers with the A-429 Heads CJ Heads as the DOVE-C heads with no problems.

Later Mark.

A lot of times "swap" headers use a flange which is CJ on the outer dimensions and the port size is regular so it fits in most situations.

Normally, a header flange for a regular port will not completely cover the top of a CJ port and headers which have CJ flanges will have the top of the header port slightly exposed when installed on a regular head.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea February 23rd 2012, 1:12 pm

56Tbird wrote:The old A429 CJ's will work for you too

^^ Yes ^^
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  blu69MachI February 23rd 2012, 1:20 pm

I will take a look at the header recipts when I get home this evening. I can also measure the flange too. That would be nice if I can also have the option of looking at scj heads too.
blu69MachI
blu69MachI

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea February 23rd 2012, 1:22 pm

If you shop around I'll bet you can find a really good set of older A429 heads that are ready to bolt on. Just be sure and ask us FIRST. Idea
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane February 23rd 2012, 11:38 pm

When I switched from Dove heads to P-51s my headers worked fine. Of course they were home made flanges so that may not help you. I do know someone with a Fairlane that had Crites headers. His worked for both heads also.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj February 24th 2012, 12:19 am

The Crites headers (at least Gen II) should work fine with the CJ port, if anything one's I have fit the CJ better.

Steve

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down