BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carb Adapter Options

5 posters

Go down

Carb Adapter Options Empty Carb Adapter Options

Post  96Mustang460cid March 14th 2012, 6:59 pm

I need to buy a dominater flange (intake) to 4150 carb adapter. I looked on Summit Racing's website and seen a couple options. I bet there are better brands/options available, but don't know where to look for the. I would prefer one that's less than 2" tall.

Suggestions?

Have a good day!
Michael
96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

Carb Adapter Options Empty Re: Carb Adapter Options

Post  bruno March 14th 2012, 7:17 pm

just throwing this out there , but can Charlie cnc one out of the phenolic material ? i thought someone on here had a cnc machine .........

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  96Mustang460cid March 15th 2012, 10:18 pm

Okay, guys, I've done some more lookin' around online and found a couple options:

1) HVH Super Sucker -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/190640557071?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&item=190640557071&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&vxp=mtr
2) Wilson -- http://www.wilsonmanifolds.com/products/spacers/carburetor-adapters/4150-to-4500-adapter.html

Something else that crossed my mind was using a nitrous plate. This would allow a simple approach to water injection. Does anybody know of a plate that will fit a 4150 carb on a 4500 manifold flange?

bruno wrote:just throwing this out there , but can Charlie cnc one out of the phenolic material ? i thought someone on here had a cnc machine .........

I'm not sure. Charlie???

Have a good day!
Michael
96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans March 15th 2012, 11:00 pm

Micheal,

Both of those adapters that you provided links to, are 1.5" thick. I think you were wanting something thinner. Check with Quick Fuel Technology, I believe they may have something thinner. No sir, I do not make those carb adapters.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 16th 2012, 12:05 am

What intake manifold...?
Most intakes can be modified to accept BOTH carbs; then use whatever spacer you like between the carb and manifold.

Of course it will cost more than a normal adapter.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  96Mustang460cid March 16th 2012, 12:40 am

rmcomprandy wrote:What intake manifold...?
Most intakes can be modified to accept BOTH carbs; then use whatever spacer you like between the carb and manifold.

I'm using an older Ford Motorsports A460 manifold. I looked at that, but my untrained eyes weren't sure it'd work well. I didn't know how the dominator shape on the intake's flange would affect performance and carb signal with a 4150 bolted to it.

Is that considered a good approach?

Have a good day!
Michael
96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 16th 2012, 10:41 am

96Mustang460cid wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:What intake manifold...?

I'm using an older Ford Motorsports A460 manifold. I looked at that, but my untrained eyes weren't sure it'd work well. I didn't know how the dominator shape on the intake's flange would affect performance and carb signal with a 4150 bolted to it.

Is that considered a good approach?

Have a good day!
Michael

A "good" approach is to use the right intake for the job.
That is the best alternative.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  96Mustang460cid March 16th 2012, 12:11 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:A "good" approach is to use the right intake for the job.
That is the best alternative.

Yes, I agree, but I didn't know a 4150 intake existed for A460 cylinder heads. After reading your post, I looked on a few websites (Trickflow, BFEvans, Summit, Google, ect) and didn't see any. If you know of one, please point me in the right direction. If one doesn't exist, then I'm still stuck trying to figure out how to make best use of my current parts (mismatched as they might be scratch ).

Have a good day!
Michael
96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 16th 2012, 12:17 pm

just fill the existing holes with threaded alum rod, redrill and tap new holes for the 4500.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 16th 2012, 11:37 pm

richter69 wrote:just fill the existing holes with threaded alum rod, redrill and tap new holes for the 4500.

He has a 4500 intake but, needs to use a 4150 carb.
Quick Fuel has a 4150 carb with a 4500 bolt pattern but, apparently he already has a carb he wants to use.
Of course this is all guessing because, there is very little information to draw any concrete conclusions unless you do presume a few things.

Put studs in the passenger front and driver rear of the Dominator carb pad bolt pattern of the manifold. Get a 4150 gasket, turn it 2 degrees to the right and put it directly over the two studs there. Now, drill and tap two more holes in the remaining corners at the needed places.

The throttle linkage stud will even be at almost the same location between the two carbs.

Otherwise use the adapters available.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  96Mustang460cid March 20th 2012, 3:50 pm

Guys, thanks for the replies. I tried clocking the carb, but the intake's carb pad didn't have enough meat on it to drill/tap the two new holes. I ended up purchasing a HVH SS4150/4500 carb adapter. It looks like this adapter has a nice transition from the 4150 to the 4500...sorta like a tapered four hole spacer.

Sorry, I thought I provided all the relevant data and didn't intentionally leave anything out there to assume. A dominator is overkill for my application. Though I haven't purchased it yet, I plan to go with an 850 cfm CSU blow through carb.

Have a good day!
Michael
96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 20th 2012, 5:23 pm

ok I didnt realize there wasnt enough meat there to do it, my old victor did but basicly they are the same pads just machined different, you intake must not be that way lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down