BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

street 44s

4 posters

Go down

street 44s Empty street 44s

Post  motorhead April 4th 2012, 9:01 pm

Anyone out there ever run 44s on a daily driver? Just wondering what kind of steering set-up to go with, and which type of brake system will be needed and also whether or not to use a stronger drag link,tie rod ends,steering link, and track bar. I'll be running them on my 77 F-150 with a 460. Idea

motorhead

Back to top Go down

street 44s Empty Re: street 44s

Post  kjett April 4th 2012, 10:36 pm

motorhead wrote:Anyone out there ever run 44s on a daily driver? Just wondering what kind of steering set-up to go with, and which type of brake system will be needed and also whether or not to use a stronger drag link,tie rod ends,steering link, and track bar. I'll be running them on my 77 F-150 with a 460. Idea

Please for the love of all that is holy, tell me that you are not going to run 44's on the street with just the 1/2 ton axles? If you are, then might as well leave all the rest of the parts alone as the axle shafts will cry to momma before anything else will break.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  FORDIN April 5th 2012, 1:24 am

i totally agree with the half ton axle thing.....pop pop like popcorn. i drive mine a lot on the street with 44,s and hard off road..60 front 35 spline shafts..sterling rear..tsm disks on rear..hydraulic assist steering(not full hydro) is the way to go it cures all death wobble associated with out of balance big tires and turns nice also. four wheel disks are almost as important if you ever need to keep from runnin someone over........lol and mine is a 78 f150 swb.
FORDIN
FORDIN

Back to top Go down

street 44s Empty street 44s

Post  motorhead April 5th 2012, 5:43 am

So far I have changed the 9" rear to a full floater with chromoly axles and I am going to install hydro assist steering but I was wondering about the oem drag link and steering link along with the track bar. Do you think they would hold up under normal street driving or? What about hydro assist brakes, anyone familiar with that set-up? Question

motorhead

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty April 6th 2012, 8:25 am

Truss that front axle, and it will live as long as you don't get too carried away with the abuse. Good axle shafts will help too. 4 wheel disc brakes, and a vac booster would be fine, just remember that no matter what you are not going to stop on a dime. Those big ole tires are like a heavy flywheel on each corner and will require a lot of force to slow down.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down