BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the wide ratio C6 better for my application

+5
Mark Miller
whatbumper
whitefield
richter69
Dave De
9 posters

Go down

Is the wide ratio C6 better for my application Empty Is the wide ratio C6 better for my application

Post  Dave De May 15th 2012, 6:49 pm

My C6 is getting overhauled and I was asked if I wanted the wide ratio planitary 2.74-1.53-1.00 instead of 2.40-1.40-1.00

ProStreet car 547 cube just under 800hp, 3100 pounds, 4500 stall, 31" tall tires, 3.82 gear. Has been best of 1.36sec 60' The change will affectively make first gear same as a 4.30 ratio from what I have now with the 3.82 and 2.40 first gear.

Could this get me into the 1.20's?
Thanks,
Dave

Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Is the wide ratio C6 better for my application Empty Re: Is the wide ratio C6 better for my application

Post  richter69 May 15th 2012, 6:54 pm

I'd say no..................in fact I'd go the other direction.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Is the wide ratio C6 better for my application Empty Re: Is the wide ratio C6 better for my application

Post  Dave De May 15th 2012, 6:58 pm

I was afraid you would say that. Do you think it will blow thru 1st to quickly?
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 May 15th 2012, 7:12 pm

yep...............kinda like an old hay truck, 1.2 mph at 4500 rpm............ Very Happy
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield May 15th 2012, 7:18 pm

more converter less gear ! Laughing
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De May 15th 2012, 7:27 pm

Well I guess I'll stick with the 2.40 ratio first gear. What if it weighed 3600# would you say change it?
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper May 15th 2012, 8:29 pm

Dave De wrote:Well I guess I'll stick with the 2.40 ratio first gear. What if it weighed 3600# would you say change it?

Nope. Need more wheel speed most likely

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller May 16th 2012, 12:04 am

richter69 wrote:I'd say no..................in fact I'd go the other direction.

Jon,

Do they make a 2.20 first gear ratio for the C-6 like they do for the C-4's?

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE May 16th 2012, 7:30 am

On a street/strip car (that actually really sees a lot of street/highway miles) that wasn't getting an overdrive, I can see where a C-6 with a steeper 1st gear might be worth trying if the car was also getting less rear gear out back at the same time for better highway manners.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  quick 52 May 18th 2012, 7:29 pm

Dave how long aare you going to be down. are getting a new converter or just freshen the old one. got the truck going took it to a cruise last nite in rochester seem to be ok with the converter and the new pushrods

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De May 18th 2012, 11:00 pm

quick 52 wrote:Dave how long aare you going to be down. are getting a new converter or just freshen the old one. got the truck going took it to a cruise last nite in rochester seem to be ok with the converter and the new pushrods

Right now I dont know because I have the trans apart at Bewicks and he hasnt given me a price yet. The converter took out the trans out so thats in need of replacement as well. Been thinking about getting the plastic out and ordering a fresh C6 from Jay at Broader. Its the waiting that hurts.
A new low is thinking about taking the 521 and trans out of my Torino and plugging it into the Mustang. It should go 10 something.

I bet your valve train noise is less with the shorter pushrods. Nice that you are up and running. If I get rolling again we will need to meet at Ubly with Mike.

Dave
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  John Myrick May 19th 2012, 7:28 am

Dave, I think our cars are around the same weight give or take a few pounds and if I had to do it all over again I'd put a Glide in it, even driving it on the street. Remember it's a BBF with gobs of torque to get it rollin.
John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  JACKAZZFLATZ May 19th 2012, 7:43 am

I had the wide ratio from Jay in my C-6 when it was behind the Cleveland. It worked great with the small block. Transferred the guts to a big block case when the 460 went in. The car actually ran better using 2nd and 3rd - like a "2-speed racing trans". It blew right thru 1st gear. Even with my setup currently, stock trans ratio's and a 4:30 gear, cant get a 60' to save my a__ leaving on the trans brake. It's not too bad foot braking.
JACKAZZFLATZ
JACKAZZFLATZ

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De May 19th 2012, 9:18 am

John Myrick wrote:Dave, I think our cars are around the same weight give or take a few pounds and if I had to do it all over again I'd put a Glide in it, even driving it on the street. Remember it's a BBF with gobs of torque to get it rollin.
John,
I've been thinking about it and what I come back to is that in the future I will put the engine and trans in my Torino in 3 years and make another build with an aftermarket block and spray it way into the 8's for the Mustang. If I did the PG now it would stay in the car and then I would have to deal with the C6 then for the Torino. I guess that doesnt matter which way its done.

JACKAZZFLATZ wrote:I had the wide ratio from Jay in my C-6 when it was behind the Cleveland. It worked great with the small block. Transferred the guts to a big block case when the 460 went in. The car actually ran better using 2nd and 3rd - like a "2-speed racing trans". It blew right thru 1st gear. Even with my setup currently, stock trans ratio's and a 4:30 gear, cant get a 60' to save my a__ leaving on the trans brake. It's not too bad foot braking.
Jack,
I hear you the wide ratio is out and the 2.40 1st will stay. If I went with a glide I will need more gear because a 3.82 with 31 tall tires wont work for 140 mph trap speed. Just a thought... pull that C6 out sell it to me then put a glide in and your times will improve.

Dave
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  John Myrick May 19th 2012, 9:59 am

LOL damned if you do damned you don't kind of thing
John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  quick 52 May 19th 2012, 4:09 pm

Dave got a buddy with a fresh glide with bb mopar bell that you can buy and get a bbf bell and your ready to go $1400

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De May 20th 2012, 10:03 am

quick 52 wrote:Dave got a buddy with a fresh glide with bb mopar bell that you can buy and get a bbf bell and your ready to go $1400

Dale,
This is definitely a consideration. The way I see it besides the bell it will need; a shifter, slip yoke, drive shaft, and the flex plate modified. I will end up at around $2800 for that route with a converter.
Right now time is not on my side.

Dave
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  quick 52 May 20th 2012, 11:13 am

Dave De wrote:
quick 52 wrote:Dave got a buddy with a fresh glide with bb mopar bell that you can buy and get a bbf bell and your ready to go $1400

Dale,
This is definitely a consideration. The way I see it besides the bell it will need; a shifter, slip yoke, drive shaft, and the flex plate modified. I will end up at around $2800 for that route with a converter.
Right now time is not on my side.

Dave
Or do what i did with a mid adapter plate then you can use any GM trans and the c6 flexplate can be used your shifter should work with a glide need yoke and DS but still lots of $$$$$. how long did the c6 last may be just resprag & steels &clutch and let it eat couple bucks and your back in. PTC freshen my converter for $250 and thats shipping both ways

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down