BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Son is starting to drag race

4 posters

Go down

Son is starting to drag race Empty Son is starting to drag race

Post  cobrakid8 July 16th 2012, 4:39 pm

Well guys, my oldest (11) has been racing motocross for past 2.5 years or so and has done pretty good doing it since we do it for fun. Well before he left to spend time at my sister-in laws for the summer we went to the drag strip and he watched the kids racing the Juniors! Well he caught the bug and begged me to get him one, even telling me he would give up one of his dirt bikes for it. So while he was down in South GA I went and traded his KX 65 for a junior dragster that had no body. Picked it up and took it over to a friend of my dads Ronnie Adams with Adams Motorsports and Graphics (round track guy) and he built a body for me. Took it to his place Friday afternoon, picked up Tyler Saturday and than Sunday I get the call it is finished. We were already out so I told him we had to go pick some stuff up and he stated it must be dirt bike parts and I did not correct him. So we get to the Shop and the dragster is sitting right inside the shop door and Tyler goes that is a nice junior dragster, so I said well I hope so since it is yours Laughing His jaw about hit the floor, he was so excited to get the car. When i traded for it the guy had bought it for his daughter who is 13 but they never raced it and he was told it ran low 11's. Well we took it out Friday night for Test-n-tune at the local track and first pass, it had a 1.61 60ft so dad turned around and said Doug I think that thing is a little faster than low 11's, so he let off twice and it still ran through at 9.89 at 55 mph. I got back to the trailer after dad picked him up with the 4-wheeler and he was grinning from ear to ear and gave me a thumbs up. The car ran a best of 9.66 at 64 mph, which is faster than the old Thunderbird i drove when i first started at like 18 Very Happy .

Here are some pics of the Jr. the youngest (3) picked out the color while his brother was gone. I think the Ford Sticker will fit just perfect on the front right above the nose piece, and also the plastic is still on the sheetmetal!

Son is starting to drag race DSC00681DSC00681

Son is starting to drag race DSC00680DSC00680

Son is starting to drag race DSC00682DSC00682

Son is starting to drag race DSC00688DSC00688

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Son is starting to drag race Empty Re: Son is starting to drag race

Post  jbozzelle July 16th 2012, 5:24 pm

Looks good. Needs the helmet bars though if you'll be racing at an NHRA track that'll check that stuff.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 July 17th 2012, 7:45 am

Thanks John, at this time we are just going to be running local tracks that are outlaw tracks so no need for the helmet bars right now but I do plan on later actually cutting the top of the cage off and making it a little higher and adding the helmet bars at that time since it sits so low. We do have though a bunch of stuff to get to finish off this one. Still need a digatron and mychron, also need leg restraints, belt guard and chain guard with some other odds and ends we need. I am just glad to get him into something a little safer as we have had friends in just the past month get really injured on their dirt bikes with broken backs, legs, and the such.

Doug

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger July 17th 2012, 8:13 am

I been looking around for awhile for one for my kids and it seems that they are all around $4000 because they have upgrades, which I would need to remove til my kids get older because of the way the rules are.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 July 17th 2012, 9:04 am

Yeah BigBlok, When i first started to look I figured it was going to be way to expensive to get one when trying to trade a dirt bike for it. Although a very nice dirt bike, I know I got the better of this deal for sure even with a bunch of stuff i still have to get! I would suggest just going ahead and getting an upgraded car if at all possible. You can always slow the car down with added weight, carb restrictors and the such, but it will cost a lot more in the future to buy those upgrades new or even used compared to buying it now with a package! I mean this junior will fit my son for years to come once i get the lay down seat that it was built for instead of the go cart seat that it came with, it has adjustable pedals that will probably fit him until he is around 6 ft tall if he wants. Now that I know it the motor is really fast so that will save me a little from having to get a bigger and faster motor for now also and if he had told me after he ran the first pass that it was to fast for him, I have the restrictors and weights to add to it to slow it down to what he was more comfortable with. jrdragsterplus.com is a great site and it also has plenty of classifieds on it if you want to look for a car.

Doug

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger July 17th 2012, 8:04 pm

I have taken that into consideration as well but my kids are 4 and 5 yo currently and once they get to the required minumum age of 8 to race NHRA rules (They will be racing in an NHRA sanctioned class) dictates a completely stock engine and clutch setup. There is a guy not far from my hometrack that builds them from ground up and I may just spring the $5000 for one once they get closer to racing. Both my son and daughter are very interested in the idea and everytime they have them at the track I hear how badly they want one for weeks afterwards. It does look like you got the better end of the trade those things don't seem to depreciate at all.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon July 17th 2012, 8:42 pm

cobrakid8 wrote:Well guys, my oldest (11) has been racing motocross for past 2.5 years or so and has done pretty good doing it since we do it for fun. Well before he left to spend time at my sister-in laws for the summer we went to the drag strip and he watched the kids racing the Juniors! Well he caught the bug and begged me to get him one, even telling me he would give up one of his dirt bikes for it. So while he was down in South GA I went and traded his KX 65 for a junior dragster that had no body. Picked it up and took it over to a friend of my dads Ronnie Adams with Adams Motorsports and Graphics (round track guy) and he built a body for me. Took it to his place Friday afternoon, picked up Tyler Saturday and than Sunday I get the call it is finished. We were already out so I told him we had to go pick some stuff up and he stated it must be dirt bike parts and I did not correct him. So we get to the Shop and the dragster is sitting right inside the shop door and Tyler goes that is a nice junior dragster, so I said well I hope so since it is yours Laughing His jaw about hit the floor, he was so excited to get the car. When i traded for it the guy had bought it for his daughter who is 13 but they never raced it and he was told it ran low 11's. Well we took it out Friday night for Test-n-tune at the local track and first pass, it had a 1.61 60ft so dad turned around and said Doug I think that thing is a little faster than low 11's, so he let off twice and it still ran through at 9.89 at 55 mph. I got back to the trailer after dad picked him up with the 4-wheeler and he was grinning from ear to ear and gave me a thumbs up. The car ran a best of 9.66 at 64 mph, which is faster than the old Thunderbird i drove when i first started at like 18 Very Happy .

Here are some pics of the Jr. the youngest (3) picked out the color while his brother was gone. I think the Ford Sticker will fit just perfect on the front right above the nose piece, and also the plastic is still on the sheetmetal!

Son is starting to drag race DSC00681DSC00681

Son is starting to drag race DSC00680DSC00680

Son is starting to drag race DSC00682DSC00682

Son is starting to drag race DSC00688DSC00688

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 July 18th 2012, 8:41 am

Yeah, I understand with them being of that age. My youngest is 3 so by the time Tyler outgrows this if I redo the cage itself he will be 17 or so and Gage will be old enough to jump into it if he wants to! I will say though if you find a good enough deal on a expensive one with a lot of upgrades, you might be better off going ahead and buying it , because of course some of the real good and fast motors like 8.90 7.90 can cost upwards of 4-5k by themselves. You can get a stock motor for little of nothing and put that onto the car and run it until they age into a higher category! I thought that was what I was doing with this and I would have to buy another motor in the near future for him to run faster. Luckily even though it is either a stock block or a Raptor block the motor will still run 9.50's in this heat, so he should be good for now as far as the speed goes, and again by the time he is ready to race one of the regular cars the youngest should be able to move right into this one! I do think I got the better of the deal for sure, although he traded the bike for some kind of car, this thing would easily cost me 2-3K to buy it rolling. Now once I get the computer and other stuff I am sure this thing will run faster than it is right now, since I have not touched the stock clutch and have no idea what RPM's of CHT, or EGT are. Good luck with it, so far it has been lots of fun, heck it seems my dad is enjoying it as much as me and him racing the big car Laughing

Doug

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger July 18th 2012, 7:11 pm

I am sure my kids will love it once they get old enough especially with the enthusiasm already, they have even talked about paint colors, lol. So far the cheapest I had found one was $4200 and it was not in that great of shape for the money. Good luck to your son and hope he enjoys!
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 July 18th 2012, 8:48 pm

Try looking on jrdragsterplus.com they usually have some good deals going for some very nice cars for sure. I am lloking forward to doing this with him, some good quality family time!

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum