BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TH 350 question in my T-bucket

3 posters

Go down

TH 350 question in my T-bucket Empty TH 350 question in my T-bucket

Post  jasonf September 29th 2009, 11:39 pm

My T-bucket has a Th350 in it and it leaks fluid all the freaking time. I personally hate the damn thing but it is what is there and there is no real estate for a real transmission (the drive shaft is maybe 12" long). Anyways, it has a deep aftermarket pan on it and I have changed the gasket 3 times using the same methods that have always worked on my C4's. It drops down about two qts then quits leaking. As soon as I top it off it starts leaking again. It is not a fast leak or anything but it looks like it is coming from the front above the pan somewhere (pump??). Could I just be overfilling this thing or is there some where else they commonly leak from?
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

TH 350 question in my T-bucket Empty Re: TH 350 question in my T-bucket

Post  Wayne Pearce September 30th 2009, 9:47 am

Hey, Jason: I went through the exact same problem on my buddy's 37 Chevy! It's powered by a 327 backed up by a T350, and leaked like the proverbial stuck pig! He tried changing the gasket, didn't work, siliconed the hell out of it, didn't work, kept tightening the pan bolts until it cracked several of the bosses (cast aluminum pan) and broke a few of the bolts off in the case, and of course, that didn't help! When he finally asked me to check it out, I found that the oil was leaking from around the linkage shaft where it passes through the case! After I dropped the pan (needed to be replaced - thanks Dave) I disconnected the linkage and pulled the shaft and seal out, it looked like somebody had used a pair of vise grips on the shaft for what ever reason. Went to the local Chebby dealer and ordered a new shaft and seal - about $15.00 if I remember correctly. installed the new parts, no more oil leaks for the past three years!

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf September 30th 2009, 7:29 pm

Well there is a very small leak there as well (it is damp). Most of my leak is at the front where it looks like it is coming down the front of the pan. When I changed the pan gaskets it looked like it was wet up where the bellhousing bolted on. It has a JW bellhousing for a SBF.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle October 5th 2009, 8:02 pm

maybe the front pump bushing? Does it leak only when running?

Can you stick a C4 in there?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum