BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

semi pulling

+3
billandlori
dirt_worker
LETHAL_DOSE
7 posters

Go down

semi pulling  Empty semi pulling

Post  LETHAL_DOSE August 1st 2012, 10:28 am

Since the tractor engine is broke, I decided to get the pulling semi out. It has set for a couple years, made a few little changes and went to Goshen, Indiana to have a little fun. This was my first pass ever in the semi down the track. Ended up 9th out of 15 which was not too bad. We turned the water way up to keep the exhaust temps down only got to around 1500 degrees, makes a whole lot more power at 1750-1800 degrees, but it is a lot more reliable being cooler. It is an 81 peterbilt, with a 3406 engine with 3 turbos, making around 3000hp. here is a link to a pic from Goshen
goshen semi pics

I think we are planning to take the semi to Morley, Mi this saturday if all goes as planned. I am having fun just going out a pulling.

I should have about all the parts rounded up for the tractor engine, what started out as chewing pushrods. I have ended up with, 2 new valves, new springs, new lifters, new pushrods, new rods, re-balance the crank as the rods are lighter, pistons only have 10 passes on them, this thing is going to be like brand new again. I may try to get it out for the last couple of pulls, in September. Time will tell

Mike
LETHAL_DOSE
LETHAL_DOSE

Back to top Go down

semi pulling  Empty Re: semi pulling

Post  dirt_worker August 1st 2012, 11:00 am

Can you elaborate on "turning the water down" and its effect on the exhaust temp?

I have a truck w a 3406b, just interested in learning something new....

btw....nice lookin truck and good job on your first pull in it.
dirt_worker
dirt_worker

Back to top Go down

Post  LETHAL_DOSE August 1st 2012, 11:50 am

The truck has a water injection system on it. It has an aluminum intake manifold. We inject water in every runner, at the inlet of the front 2 turbos, and there are 3 water nozzles in the pipe from the high pressure turbo to the intake manifold. The truck also has another water nozzle in the intake manifold hooked to a computer, and when the exhaust gets up too high it opens and dumps more water it. The water comes on when the boost pressure gets up to 80psi. The other night it had 134psi of boost. The water injection system has nozzles in it like the enderle nozzles. In order to get more water in you change the nozzles. This is not a road driven semi, it was specifically built to pull with. Without injecting all this water, the engine would basically melt itself down, which has happened before when the water failed to come on.

Mike
LETHAL_DOSE
LETHAL_DOSE

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori August 1st 2012, 12:54 pm

Damn! That must sound amazing!! Any video of this bad boy?

I drive truck too, mine's a 2004 Star with a C15. It is the MBN series engine so I had it reflashed to the older C16 files and went from 435hp to about 625. Gained a good bit of MPG too!!

Up in Quebec they have the "Rodeo Du Camion" (Truck Rodeo) where they drag race bob tail and fully loaded trucks up a hill. Its quite a show too. The shifting is a big component to getting the win light!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  LETHAL_DOSE August 1st 2012, 1:03 pm

Here is a video from hudsonville, mi from a year or so ago. If you go to you tube search haselbypullingteam there are several videos posted from when my brother ran the NTPA Grand National circuit a couple years ago.
hudsonville pull

Mike
LETHAL_DOSE
LETHAL_DOSE

Back to top Go down

Post  61coon August 1st 2012, 1:19 pm

Dang Mike, y'all got it goin' on man! Awesome affraid
61coon
61coon

Back to top Go down

Post  dirt_worker August 1st 2012, 2:04 pm

You guys must run a steel top piston to handle that kind of boost and exhaust temp huh?

I only asked cause i enjoy learning something new about big hp.

dirt_worker
dirt_worker

Back to top Go down

Post  LETHAL_DOSE August 1st 2012, 3:21 pm

Actually we are running factory cat pistons. They have been notched for the extra lift on the cam, but they are factory aluminum pistons. It also has a c model crank and factory c model rods in it. It is still stock bore and stroke. The whole rotating assembly has been balanced for the extra rpm it turns around 37-4000 rpm. It has different sleeves in it to handle the heat and pressures. We have been rough on the custom intake a couple times. It blew the front end out 1 time and the back end out another. Now it has straps around the end to keep that from happening. We are running really safe right now just to have fun, it is probably down about 10% on power from where it should be. The most boost we have ever seen on it has been around 180psi.
LETHAL_DOSE
LETHAL_DOSE

Back to top Go down

Post  NOS42 August 1st 2012, 3:55 pm

I love watching the big rigs pull, thanks for posting, your truck is killer!
NOS42
NOS42

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R August 1st 2012, 7:33 pm

Wow, Bad Ass!!!

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori August 1st 2012, 10:42 pm

Very cool video's!! That beast is making some crazy power!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

semi pulling  Empty Re pulling

Post  HorsinAround August 6th 2012, 10:55 am

Glad your getting a "fix" while the tractor is down. I went out the the Logansport fair while your class was running just to get an elephant ear, but hearing the motors at wot started me to twitching and shaking so I left and went home for a cold shower. Laughing Didn't think it would bother me that much. Now I am really jones'n to get the 514 drag motor done. You wouldn't happen to have a rear sump 7 or 8 qt pan laying around would you?
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LETHAL_DOSE August 10th 2012, 9:11 pm

Yes,
I have a moroso one that I kicked a rod out. It needs the rail fixed where the rod exited the block at. I think it could be fixed fairly easy. I will take it to my parent's house and you can look at it there sometime. They live in Royal Center. It is a steel pan, with an expanded metal tray in it. Sorry it took a while to get back to you, been on vacation, and didn't even get on the computer.

Mike
LETHAL_DOSE
LETHAL_DOSE

Back to top Go down

Post  LETHAL_DOSE August 28th 2012, 8:53 am

Here is the latest video of the semi. This was at Terre Haute this past weekend (Aug. 25) at the Scheid Diesel Extravaganza. We have made a few changes to the truck that seem to be paying off. It was good enough for a 2nd place finish out of 15 trucks.

Mike
LETHAL_DOSE
LETHAL_DOSE

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R August 28th 2012, 6:43 pm

That thing is an animal, too cool!!!

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content