BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AOD shifts too ealry

3 posters

Go down

AOD shifts too ealry Empty AOD shifts too ealry

Post  Budman August 12th 2012, 5:53 pm

I have a 1990 Mustang GT with a 5.0 (Paxton Supercharged) with a newly rebuilt AOD that shifts way too early unless I add quite a bit of pressure to the TV cable. I have only owned the car a little over a year. The trans that originally came with the car was already toast and had junkyard yellow lettering already on top of it. I hope this is not a tranny eating machine. With the purchase it came with an 'in the box' Monster AOD. That trans was put in last July. It did not have the provisions for over drive. It shifted like a beast on the 1-2 shift, but I had to let off the gas at around 40-45 MPH for it to go into third gear. I had the original trans rebuilt and it shifts way too early, all gears. The car does have 3.73 rearend gears. Shifting manually, the 1-2 of course works fine, shifting to D it goes 2-3 real quick. The new trans does have a Transgo shift kit. I am not comfortable driving it with that much tension on the TV cable. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Budman
Budman
Budman

Back to top Go down

AOD shifts too ealry Empty Re: AOD shifts too ealry

Post  69F100 August 12th 2012, 8:16 pm

manually after it hits 2nd gear and in it good pull the shifter back it will hold it in 2nd and then shift at the rpm you want.thats how I had to shift my 90 model t-bird with the 5.0 ho in it with the aod the TV cable can be a pain to set sometimes and if noy set right the trans want last long
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Budman August 13th 2012, 7:56 am

Thanks for reminding me about the way to hold it in gear when racing, but this car will actually be more street driven. The car shifts into second gear in about the length of the car leaving a stop sign just driving it easy and third gear at about 50 yards further.
Budman
Budman

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield August 13th 2012, 12:13 pm

Adjust the TV cable and transgo makes the best shift kit for these that I have used .

http://www.txchange.com/aodadj.htm
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down