BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NHRA rules question (Helmet and Fuel Line)

3 posters

Go down

NHRA rules question (Helmet and Fuel Line) Empty NHRA rules question (Helmet and Fuel Line)

Post  f100cleveland 3rd October 2009, 00:59

The last time out at the local 1/4 mile track (if you can call 3 hrs away, local) I was harassed by the tech guy pretty good.

First off, he told me my fuel line was illegally located in the bellhousing area. Even tho it was stainless braid, it didn't matter. This is from the rule book:
Page 249 in the 2009 NHRA rule book
Section 19, 1:5 Fuel Systems

Lines (middle of the paragraph)
"Fuel lines (except steel braided lines) in the flywheel/bellhousing area must be enclosed in a 16-inch length of steel tubing, 1/8-inch-minimum wall thickness, securely mounted as a protection against fuel-line rupture.

So, wouldn't my -10 an stainless braided line fall into the "except steel braided lines" category?

Then, he grabbed my helmet and said its a motorcycle helmet and its too old. Its a HJC full face helmet that is DOT and SNELL M2000 and was made in July 2001.
Page 282 in the 2009 NHRA Rule Book
Section 19, 10:7 HELMET

NHRA Helmet Expiration Dates
Label...............Expires
Snell 2000............1/1/2012

So, wouldn't that also make my helmet legal????

My truck is running mid 10's, so its not into the 9.99 and quicker bracket yet.

I'm going to be switching motors this winter, so the fuel system will get changed and I'll be upgrading helmets too, just don't want to change it for one more trip to the track. The guy said it better be fixed before next time, but isn't it hard to fix something that isn't broken???
f100cleveland
f100cleveland

Back to top Go down

NHRA rules question (Helmet and Fuel Line) Empty Re: NHRA rules question (Helmet and Fuel Line)

Post  nuclearcobra 3rd October 2009, 09:26

Sounds like its good to me you need to take a copy of the rules to show him they do make mistakes sometimes and if he still wont budge take it to the tower.When i went to the bracket finals last week at maple grove a guy pulled in with a nova with no windows or windshield at all and they said he cant race that here like that and he said bullshit its legal it got teched at my home track and i been racing it like this since 82 they still said no way so he flipped and took it off the trailor and said im drove all this way and im running it so the track contacted the nhra about it and they said they havent seen this in a long time but the rules say even if its not a fast car as long as its got a mininum 10 pt. cage,window net,arm restraints and a full face helmet with a full shield he can run it with out windows or a windshield.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

NHRA rules question (Helmet and Fuel Line) Empty Re: NHRA rules question (Helmet and Fuel Line)

Post  bbf-falcon 4th October 2009, 00:08

f100cleveland wrote:The last time out at the local 1/4 mile track (if you can call 3 hrs away, local) I was harassed by the tech guy pretty good.

First off, he told me my fuel line was illegally located in the bellhousing area. Even tho it was stainless braid, it didn't matter. This is from the rule book:
Page 249 in the 2009 NHRA rule book
Section 19, 1:5 Fuel Systems

Lines (middle of the paragraph)
"Fuel lines (except steel braided lines) in the flywheel/bellhousing area must be enclosed in a 16-inch length of steel tubing, 1/8-inch-minimum wall thickness, securely mounted as a protection against fuel-line rupture.

So, wouldn't my -10 an stainless braided line fall into the "except steel braided lines" category?

Then, he grabbed my helmet and said its a motorcycle helmet and its too old. Its a HJC full face helmet that is DOT and SNELL M2000 and was made in July 2001.
Page 282 in the 2009 NHRA Rule Book
Section 19, 10:7 HELMET

NHRA Helmet Expiration Dates
Label...............Expires
Snell 2000............1/1/2012

So, wouldn't that also make my helmet legal????

My truck is running mid 10's, so its not into the 9.99 and quicker bracket yet.

I'm going to be switching motors this winter, so the fuel system will get changed and I'll be upgrading helmets too, just don't want to change it for one more trip to the track. The guy said it better be fixed before next time, but isn't it hard to fix something that isn't broken???
My (Braided)fuel lines on LiL Tweety come up on the pass. side of the FW. Sounds like you got a real Turd for a tech guy Rolling Eyes

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum