stroke

Go down

stroke

Post  cesarperez on August 21st 2012, 2:54 pm

what ia the largest crank that can be put on a stock block - what is the largest crank on a svo and the largest crank on a idt head

cesarperez

Posts : 19
Join date : 2012-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: stroke

Post  rmcomprandy on August 21st 2012, 4:11 pm

cesarperez wrote:what ia the largest crank that can be put on a stock block - what is the largest crank on a svo and the largest crank on a idt head

You can put a 5" stroke crankshaft into an SVO block with a steel rod and a bit of clearancing. I don't recommend it however, the customer wanted it so, that's what he got.
A 4 3/4" stroke is about the longest I'd feel comfortable with.

DON'T make the stroke longer than the head and inlet system can use.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5174
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: stroke

Post  Barney on August 21st 2012, 4:55 pm

I'm not a fan of anything over a 4.5 stroke in a 10.32 deck block. It puts a hell of a side load on the piston.
avatar
Barney

Posts : 2577
Join date : 2009-12-02
Age : 43
Location : Kirkland, Il

View user profile http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Re: stroke

Post  466cj on August 21st 2012, 5:04 pm

5" stroke in a 10.300" stock deck block??? Man that must be a mess. For drag race only type stuff 4.75" seems about the sane limit. I'd say a 4.6" would be about limit for steet, althought the 4.5" stuff is common.

466cj

Posts : 391
Join date : 2011-05-01
Location : San Antonio, TX.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: stroke

Post  rmcomprandy on August 21st 2012, 10:47 pm

466cj wrote:5" stroke in a 10.300" stock deck block??? Man that must be a mess. For drag race only type stuff 4.75" seems about the sane limit. I'd say a 4.6" would be about limit for steet, althought the 4.5" stuff is common.

The question was ... what is the largest stroke crankshaft that will physically fit? Whether or not it works well is a completely different story.

The limit in that specific NA pulling class was 650 cubic inches with OEM style heads. That engine was 645 cid.
I went back and looked it up, it was back in 2003:
5" stroke crankshaft.
6.850" steel Oliver rod.
4.530" bore - .970" compression height, flat top piston.
82cc combustion chamber, Blue Thunder heads with raised CJ exhaust flange.
14.5/1 compression ratio.

The guy freshens the rings and bearings himself and it is still running fine. It see's maybe about 5,800 RPM maximum.

EDIT: I fixed the typo with the bore size; a 5.530" bore would make it a 961 cubic inch engine so, I guess most people here aren't quick enough to recognize a typo has been made when they see it OR they are just waiting for the chance to jump on any mistake anyone may make.
I came back more times to fix a couple other typo's too but, they didn't seem to get any attention, LOL.


Last edited by rmcomprandy on August 22nd 2012, 9:41 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : I fixed the typo ...)

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5174
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: stroke

Post  schmitty on August 21st 2012, 10:58 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
5.530" bore - .970" compression height, flat top piston.

Now that is one heck of a big bore stock block deal. Laughing
avatar
schmitty

Posts : 4538
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 48
Location : Holdrege, NE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: stroke

Post  Barney on August 21st 2012, 11:04 pm

5.53 bore stock block?
avatar
Barney

Posts : 2577
Join date : 2009-12-02
Age : 43
Location : Kirkland, Il

View user profile http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Re: stroke

Post  Frank Merkl on August 21st 2012, 11:55 pm

most likely 4.530"
Frank
avatar
Frank Merkl

Posts : 1484
Join date : 2008-12-17
Age : 62
Location : Brooks ,Alberta ,Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: stroke

Post  rmcomprandy on August 22nd 2012, 9:23 am

schmitty wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
5.530" bore - .970" compression height, flat top piston.

Now that is one heck of a big bore stock block deal. Laughing

As said, that was an early A460 SVO block. It was a 4.530" bore. (I guess typos are unheard of around here and NOBODY else ever does it).

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5174
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Re: stroke

Post  466cj on August 22nd 2012, 10:26 am

Yes i understood the OP's question. I was just commenting that a 5" stroke would bad deal. Sounds like it is not as bad as it would sound from your comments. Still a bit longer than I'd venture Shocked

Regardless I think you win for the longest stroke in std deck height block. Very Happy

466cj

Posts : 391
Join date : 2011-05-01
Location : San Antonio, TX.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: stroke

Post  bbf-falcon on August 22nd 2012, 1:17 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
466cj wrote:5" stroke in a 10.300" stock deck block??? Man that must be a mess. For drag race only type stuff 4.75" seems about the sane limit. I'd say a 4.6" would be about limit for steet, althought the 4.5" stuff is common.

The question was ... what is the largest stroke crankshaft that will physically fit? Whether or not it works well is a completely different story.

The limit in that specific NA pulling class was 650 cubic inches with OEM style heads. That engine was 645 cid.
I went back and looked it up, it was back in 2003:
5" stroke crankshaft.
6.850" steel Oliver rod.
4.530" bore - .970" compression height, flat top piston.
82cc combustion chamber, Blue Thunder heads with raised CJ exhaust flange.
14.5/1 compression ratio.

The guy freshens the rings and bearings himself and it is still running fine. It see's maybe about 5,800 RPM maximum.

EDIT: I fixed the typo with the bore size; a 5.530" bore would make it a 961 cubic inch engine so, I guess most people here aren't quick enough to recognize a typo has been made when they see it OR they are just waiting for the chance to jump on any mistake anyone may make.
I came back more times to fix a couple other typo's too but, they didn't seem to get any attention, LOL.


We caught your typo's Randy.We were just giving you some xtra time to redeem yourself. Razz Razz Jk Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Posts : 8992
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Jackson, Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: stroke

Post  schmitty on August 22nd 2012, 2:37 pm

Just couldn't resist a little fun with you Randy. Laughing You always give factual information with real world experience on how it performed. Either way you slice it, that had to be quite an under taking to get that all to work in a 10.3 deck block. Cool
avatar
schmitty

Posts : 4538
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 48
Location : Holdrege, NE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: stroke

Post  rmcomprandy on August 22nd 2012, 3:45 pm

schmitty wrote:Just couldn't resist a little fun with you Randy. Laughing You always give factual information with real world experience on how it performed. Either way you slice it, that had to be quite an under taking to get that all to work in a 10.3 deck block. Cool

Not really ...
I spent a few years building Chevrolet 645 engines in a 10.200" deck height block. Those had a 4.850" stroke and were a lot more work to clearance the block. With a .975" compression height piston, it was almost the same.
I got them through Venolia which used aluminum buttons on the sides of the pins in the pin bore instead of any support ring for the oil ring; (the pin bore was the same height as the top of the oil ring groove).

I didn't want to do this one really but, the customer had the crank and rods and wanted to have a running OEM deck height BIG engine to meet his class rules ... it actually runs better that I thought it would but, I said everything I could say to try to convince him otherwise.
I never want to do this build again.


rmcomprandy

Posts : 5174
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

View user profile http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum