BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dually wheel extenders in a Pullin Truck

4 posters

Go down

Dually wheel extenders in a Pullin Truck Empty Dually wheel extenders in a Pullin Truck

Post  digger460 September 21st 2012, 6:20 pm

Has any tried dually wheel extenders on the front of a pulling truck and had any luck with them? After a couple years of rebuilding a D60 front end and putting on the dually wheel ext. I having second thoughts about using them now.

-images/255/securedownloadux.jpg/]Dually wheel extenders in a Pullin Truck Securedownloadux[/URL]

Last edited by digger460 on September 22nd 2012, 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
digger460
digger460

Back to top Go down

Dually wheel extenders in a Pullin Truck Empty Re: Dually wheel extenders in a Pullin Truck

Post  schmitty September 21st 2012, 11:10 pm

Are you using the dually front hubs, or just the bolt on extensions used for adding duals to the back of a single rear truck?
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Dually wheel extenders in a Pullin Truck Empty Re: Dually wheel extenders in a Pullin Truck

Post  digger460 September 22nd 2012, 10:20 am

The dually front hubs.
digger460
digger460

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper September 22nd 2012, 12:31 pm

Lot of bearing stress IMO for a theoretical advantage
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty September 22nd 2012, 5:47 pm

There is an advantage of having an offset track width front to rear. Try it and see what happens. Worst case is you go back to what you had before.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper September 22nd 2012, 6:41 pm

schmitty wrote:There is an advantage of having an offset track width front to rear. Try it and see what happens. Worst case is you go back to what you had before.

I don't think it's as big of advantage as people think. It's really up to the track. Some tracks it would help maybe some it would hurt
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty September 22nd 2012, 7:24 pm

Diggindeeper wrote:
schmitty wrote:There is an advantage of having an offset track width front to rear. Try it and see what happens. Worst case is you go back to what you had before.

I don't think it's as big of advantage as people think. It's really up to the track. Some tracks it would help maybe some it would hurt

I would agree to a point, but if the rear tires are running on loose dirt from the front tires, they generally don't have as good of a "bite" on the track, but if it's a loose track there is less of an effect.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Diggindeeper September 22nd 2012, 10:08 pm

Yes but sometimes the stuff on top ain't any good. Half the time maybe it's good half the time not, 100% of the time the bearings are being wailed on.
Imo
Diggindeeper
Diggindeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty September 22nd 2012, 11:48 pm

Diggindeeper wrote:Yes but sometimes the stuff on top ain't any good. Half the time maybe it's good half the time not, 100% of the time the bearings are being wailed on.
Imo

True that. Wink

What is the backspace and width on the wheels Doug?
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  digger460 September 23rd 2012, 5:44 pm

Wheels are 16" wide and backspacing 4 1/2 I think.
digger460
digger460

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround September 23rd 2012, 7:23 pm

Doug,

We were only allowed a 1/2 track offset, so I went with the single wheel hubs and did less back space. By doing that, I believe it lessened the stress on the king pins and they lasted for 8 years of pulling and still looked good when I replaced the outers with 35 spline outers and hockey pucks to do away with the hubs. And this was with almost 2000lbs on the nose.

AP
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty September 23rd 2012, 7:38 pm

digger460 wrote:Wheels are 16" wide and backspacing 4 1/2 I think.

With that backspace and width, the dually hubs are going to take some serious abuse. If you draw an imaginary line through the king pins, it should go through the middle of the wheel. With that wheel, you are going to be about 6" off of that line and you are going to be really hard on the components. With the dually hubs, you are going to be almost at the inner edge of the wheel and some serious abuse is going to happen, and driving it is going to be a rodeo.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  digger460 September 24th 2012, 11:03 am

who has got some single wheel hubs there not using?
digger460
digger460

Back to top Go down

Dually wheel extenders in a Pullin Truck Empty Re

Post  HorsinAround September 24th 2012, 12:37 pm

Doug,

If you can find an F250 with a dana 50 under the front, the spindles, rotors, calipers, hubs etc are a direct bolt on to the dana 60. The dana 60 that is under Horsin' Around came out of a F350 dually, and I got the guy to knock off a hundered bucks by keeping the dually outers. Then I simply moved the outer assemblys from my dana 50 over to the 60.

Alan
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down