BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hunting season has officially started & now ended......

+5
richter69
70FB
Frank Merkl
dr's wife racing
ThndrChkn
9 posters

Go down

Hunting season has officially started & now ended...... Empty Hunting season has officially started & now ended......

Post  ThndrChkn October 30th 2012, 12:29 am

Well, I went out into the big game fields last week and filled my first tag. I took this mule deer buck, 2 min. after shooting hours started. I used a rifle that my grandfather gave me just before he passed away. It felt awesome, as I haven't hunted with that rifle since my son's first year afield back in '05. So there were some very good memories involved in this hunt, even though I went at it alone this year.
Hunting season has officially started & now ended...... My2012MuleDeer
Hunting season has officially started & now ended...... My2012MuleDeer--3

Saturday, I took my friend Mike and his daughter out to a new spot I found about 100 miles north of here, and helped her get her very first deer. I see a proud papa right there:
Hunting season has officially started & now ended...... 1351358823464

And yesterday, I finally got to officially "christen" the new rifle I just built myself a few weeks ago. My 300 Ultra Mag proved it's worth with a nearly 400 yd. shot on this fox. Yes, a 300 Ultra Mag is a bit large for a fox, but that's where the worth part comes in for the rifle. I set the scope for 350 yds, and gave her a center hold, hoping to connect with the lower chest, therefore succeeding in not cutting the animal in-two. The shot fell perfect, and as you can see, the animal is in great condition, as far as the pelt goes anyway. Later in the evening, at the end of shooting hours, I took a huge whitetail doe with the same rifle, but didn't get any pics cause my cell phone camera has a crappy flash... Only one more tag to go for myself (Elk) and deer and elk for my kids, so there's still a little huntin' left to do... Very Happy Very Happy
Hunting season has officially started & now ended...... Resampled_2012-10-28_10-50-50_890

Last edited by ThndrChkn on November 26th 2012, 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Hunting season has officially started & now ended...... Empty Re: Hunting season has officially started & now ended......

Post  dr's wife racing October 30th 2012, 12:37 pm

Nice only thing open here is bow.I plan on hunting this afternoon
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Hunting season has officially started & now ended...... Empty Re: Hunting season has officially started & now ended......

Post  Frank Merkl October 30th 2012, 7:37 pm

I'm heading to the hills on saturday for a week of hunting elk
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB November 2nd 2012, 10:09 am

Sweet. Wish we had some mule deer here. I've got 2 whitetails with the bow so far and blackpowder starts tommorrow.Gun season starts in 2 weeks going through Jan.2nd.The rut should be close in the next week or so here.
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn November 26th 2012, 1:21 pm

Well, hunting season (for deer and elk) ended yesterday... And what a tough season it was. The only thing (s) great about it was the time I got to spend afield with my kids... Plus, I got to make a couple new friends while in the field as well... Here are some pics from throughout the season...

Well, the weekend following my friend Mike's daughter above taking her buck, I took another friend of mine's daughter and her brother out to see if she could get her first buck. She and her brother are twins, and they graduated high school with my son Skyler. We walked about 4 miles from the truck before we were able to put a stalk on this nice little 3x4 muley, and she was able to take him with a single shot from 157 yds.:
Hunting season has officially started & now ended...... Cidresampled20121104100

Of course there's my daughter Darian, sittin in the background, suckin down all the gatorade... Laughing Laughing

Last Monday, my son and I went out and since the elk hunting was so tough this year, and the season was closing soon, he took this huge bodied forked horn buck from 521 yds with my new 300 Rem Ultra Mag... I was mildly impressed... Very Happy
Hunting season has officially started & now ended...... Cidimg950257

Then the day before Thanksgiving, I took my daughter out as it was the only day she could hunt this week due to all the Christmas sales coming up at the retailer where she works; and she told me since we need the meat, she was gonna shoot the first legal buck she sees... Well, she wasn't exactly kidding Laughing Laughing Here ya go, not even 5 min after legal shooting hours, she took this nice little forked horn buck from 350 yds with her 7mm Rem Mag... Again, I was mildly impressed... Very Happy
Hunting season has officially started & now ended...... 1353947740976

And finally, yesterday on the last morning of the season, and after taking in this beautiful sunrise;
Hunting season has officially started & now ended...... Cidimg952082

I was able to take this calf elk... We looked all day until dark Sat for this guy because another hunter shot his mother from the road, well before shooting hours on Sat. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I don't like shooting these little guys, but as young as he was, I think the wolves would've had their way with him this winter, and he may as well feed my family over a good for nothing wolf. Plus, being the last day of the season, elk meat is elk meat...
Hunting season has officially started & now ended...... Cidresampled20121125083

Here's a couple pics of me packing out the meat to the valley floor where my son and another friend of mine were waiting with the game cart to finish the haul out to the truck... My pack normally weighs (with this rifle) 47#, with the addition of the elk meat after quartering it up and boning most of it out, it was probably in the neighborhood of 100 - 110# + -
Hunting season has officially started & now ended...... Cidimg952087
Hunting season has officially started & now ended...... Cidpart1353890320763

Here we are finishing the last 1.5 miles to the truck on the cart... All in all it was great to be able to do the things I love to do, with the people I thoroughly enjoy doing them with. According to my GPS, I logged 58.6 miles on foot from last Sunday, until yesterday... WHHEEEW! what a week...
Hunting season has officially started & now ended...... Cidimg952090

Sorry for the long read, but I DO love my huntin... Cool

ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 26th 2012, 1:40 pm

I almost hit a big doe on my way home from the track sat night..........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  61coon November 26th 2012, 2:30 pm

Looks like a good time Doug. Nice pics---RED
61coon
61coon

Back to top Go down

Hunting season has officially started & now ended...... Empty Re: Hunting season

Post  hpwdboss1 November 26th 2012, 7:38 pm

Great photo's cheers I wish all the east and left coast people who don't have any idea about our lives could understand the self esteem and sense of family that builds from hunting, racing, and connecting with the balanced natural order. Keep the kids involved. Smile
Perry
hpwdboss1
hpwdboss1

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power November 26th 2012, 8:56 pm

At least you had some luck, I didn't see a darn thing. They are scarce around here this time of year I guess. No luck, but my cousins want to put in a food plot and what not. So maybe it will get better. Have fun out there Cool
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power November 26th 2012, 8:57 pm

richter69 wrote:I almost hit a big doe on my way home from the track sat night..........
That's what I call fast food Basketball
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranch71460 November 27th 2012, 10:18 pm

Now I'm starting to drool Doug...just the thought of the sausage and jerky! cheers
Ranch71460
Ranch71460

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum