BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So when.

+8
richter69
the Coug
69F100
Doug Rahn
Lem Evans
bbf-falcon
QtrWarrior
frank13
12 posters

Go down

So when.    Empty So when.

Post  frank13 December 31st 2012, 7:15 pm

I build my car from the ground up, I searched the net and forums for information. How to do this? Where to get this? What do i need for this?

And through my searching I got a lot of good and a lot of bad info. I learned by doing, I learned by making mistakes, and sometimes I just got it right.

I took a immaculate 2002 Mustang and stripped it down and built up a nice little race car. Not a super fast race car, but a race car none the less.

I wired it myself, installed the roll bar, built the engine except the shortblock. I got a few helping hands along the way, and some hands that really didnt or couldnt help enough.

I have been on a lot of websites. I will say the 460 sites gave the most information on engine stuff and ideas on how to get it installed correctly.

BUT i did all this on a shoe string budget. I know for sure knowing what I know now I could do it for half the cost. I have purchased a few things from forum member and a couple pieces from some of the vendors. (Lem and Carl for instance are people I have purchased from)

But the one huge thing i notice with this and the 460ford.com site but definitely more here is when a question is asked, it is immediately followed with "get it from a vendor here". And i guess for the most part that isnt a truly horrible idea, but sometimes that isnt what someone wants or needs to hear. I know when I ask a question i am looking for the general community to help me out. ex. "what main bearing" I gave the information needed to answer, but i got a "ask the vendor ask lem". When all i wanted was Joe Schmoe to tell me what bearing they used, maybe even give a part number so I can compare it to what i am already looking for. The dude asking about the windage tray, same thing. {he missed giving some info, so asking for more info would have been best}

I would love to buy my parts from the vendors on the site, but i did not come here for the vendors, I came here for the community. There are no secrets in the BBF world that i know of, and with enough searching I found my answer. And to be honest there is now way a lot of the parts on my car could have been afforded without ebay, advance auto and some of the "Parts Whorehouses". And i have no desire to save my money till I can afford to buy from vendors.

Sadly i dont think the actual vendors are here to drum up business, I personally think they are here to help. And sometimes i feel the community rather not give away secrets and push the businesses on here.

Just my little rant. Flame away!
frank13
frank13

http://www.frankskinkracing.com

Back to top Go down

So when.    Empty Re: So when.

Post  QtrWarrior December 31st 2012, 7:33 pm

Just my humble opinion..

Most of the vendors, like Lem, are experienced engine builders. Who better to ask ??
Some guys, build their own engines, but may call Lem, Randy,Charlie, Rich or Phillip to get their advice..
Steering you to Lem, may not have been to drum up business for Lem, But to get you a "trusted" opinion.

As for giving up "secrets". The engine builders here work hard to find performance gains.
They are not obligated to share all they know, but we appreciate what info they do share.
That said.........
There use to be way more info sharing, before we were sold down the river by a "former" forum owner.
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon December 31st 2012, 8:07 pm

X2 what Mike said. When us that know vendors like Lem,Randy malik,and others try to steer you to them ,we know from personal experience that if you call them on the phone,they will go out of their way to sell you what you NEED and NOT whats hot on the market. Lem for one is one of the best vendors in every aspect for helping a customer. And he's a good friend also. Thx to all the vendors on here for your help. Wink

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans December 31st 2012, 8:39 pm

I replied to Frank's main bearing question on the "other" forum [3 times]. I'm not sure what the issue is.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  frank13 December 31st 2012, 8:49 pm

Lem Evans wrote:I replied to Frank's main bearing question on the "other" forum [3 times]. I'm not sure what the issue is.

Lem this isnt about you, it was directed to the community when a question is asked. I personally will not call and take up you time with questions if i know I can not afford to buy the item from you.

You have never gave the "buy it from me, or dont ask me" attitude.
frank13
frank13

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn December 31st 2012, 9:26 pm

I’m not trying to flame anyone but just stating my opinion for any new people we have on here. But I agree 100% with the other posters; all of the vendors on here are good people and will go out of their way to give you excellent service. Better than what you'll get at a big box store. And I'm not trying to say the big box stores are crap because they do have their place, I use them.

So it won't sound like I'm trying to give them a plug, I won't mention their name. But they do live in a state known for Blue Grass or something like that Laughing . Actually the first time I was in that state I think I was 7 years old and was really disappointed Sad that the grass wasn’t blue. Laughing Laughing Laughing

But way back around 2005 I think, I met two of them in person for the first time, and they didn't know me from Adam. When I asked which motel was good to stay at, one invited me to stay at his house instead of a motel. He took me out to dinner that night at a really nice restaurant and feed me breakfast the next morning. Ever since then I consider them among my best friends, and depending on what I need I'll give them my business, but most of all I value their opinions.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  frank13 December 31st 2012, 9:43 pm

did anyone actually read the second to the last line i wrote?

I am not bashing the vendors.

I am pointing out that when some one ask a question for something , how about an answer that says what you use..

ex: What is the best brake pad for a 1976 Lincoln Conti?

Good and helpful answer: I use the ABCD brake pad on my car.

Bad in my opinion: Go see what Forum vendor sells.

frank13
frank13

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 December 31st 2012, 10:08 pm

Frank I have bought from Lem and have called and just ask ?s and he has never push his products on me.I have bought from Randy M. also Randy is up front and will not tell you this will work for you and he knows it want.He has always ask me what I wanted to do and we went from there.I have not bought anything from Rich but he has answered a bunch of my ?s told me what parts would work good for what I was doing or planning to do and will be getting a few things from him when I get to that point.With that said I understand what you are talking about I hate to mess with them with just ?s when not buying the parts from them.I have bought ebay parts, summit, jegs and parts from other places.You know me I am on a tight budget to not saying you have to buy from them but they might suprize with their price.Me and Rich was talking here awhile back on what was happing with the 460 in my truck now,He told me what he thought might be happening and to get rid of the oil pan I have now after he expanded it to me I see where he was coming from.I agree I think it was causing the oiling problem on topend of the track so another pan will be on the new 552.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 December 31st 2012, 10:12 pm

Frank going to be on the chat tomorrow
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug December 31st 2012, 10:41 pm

Frank let me give you a tip ! I do buy a bunch of things from Lem and others but I have found out buying from him is as cheap or cheaper than buying from Epay Or Scummit at least when I buy from the vendors here I know what I will be getting PERIOD and 99.99% of the time it fits like a glove and I don't have to call the big box stores to argue with some CHEVY guy that doesn't Know his A$$ from a hole iin the ground.
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 December 31st 2012, 10:46 pm

hell I buy stuff from Lem even if it aint cheaper..........us niggas gotta stick together.

Oh Shit! The Coug is back!!
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  frank13 December 31st 2012, 11:08 pm

not one person has actually addressed my question. Is there ever a straight answer to a question?
frank13
frank13

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior January 1st 2013, 12:08 am

frank13 wrote:not one person has actually addressed my question. Is there ever a straight answer to a question?

Yes there is....

But to answer the "best" of anything is... The problem is some or most of that would be personal opinion..
What may have worked well for one in a certain situation, may not be the best for you in your situation..
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 January 1st 2013, 12:30 am

frank13 wrote:not one person has actually addressed my question. Is there ever a straight answer to a question?

Is there ever a straight question?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf January 1st 2013, 12:44 am

I thought it was a rant, I didn't see a question let alone a straight question. I've bought from vendors on here and their prices are just as good or better than what big places charge so I'm not sure how you are saving any money? I was glad to see your statement that you don't waste peoples time if you are not going to buy from them, I am the same way. If I need tech support then I buy from the tech.

One day you will realize that being the cheapest on everything is not always the cheapest in the long run. I actually had to laugh when I was reading this months Hot Rod last night. Some guy bought a pro comp headed, generic everything sbf and for some reason it kept breaking pushrods, chunked a lifter and finally seized up the oil pump with lifter parts. The part I laughed about was that the repair parts were $2700 alone. He probably didn't pay that for his POS long block but he got what he paid for. hahahahahahaha
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

So when.    Empty Straight?

Post  504T January 1st 2013, 12:57 am

I can pretty much garrantee that the brake pad or main bearing or whatever I use in my car is irrelevant when it comes to what you need in your car, so if I had addressed any of the questions you had while putting your project together I very likely would have sent you to one of this sites vendors - both because they would know the answers to the questions you don't even know you need to ask, and because I'd like to see them get the business. Lem and Charlie have proved to me - (I have learned the hard way) that it's hard to judge the best deal. They know a lot more than I do, so asking your question of them is the best advice I can give you - whether you realize it or not. I don't know what you want to hear - Seems to me the answers you have been getting are pretty straightforward - you are free to buy from whoever you want to - and it sounds like you have- and the people who answer your queries are free to reccomend that you talk to a expert - who is likely going to be a vendor. If you aren't getting the answer you want, maybe you aren't asking the right question.
Kurt.
504T
504T

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug January 1st 2013, 9:12 am

Frank

on your bearing thread there is a reason they sent you to Lem or one of the vendors one here. I have been running Ford engines all the way back to the 70s, there is not magic numbers that work on all combos. I have ran Clevites, DAB (detroit Automotive Bearings) Kings, and many others and on almost every engine it take lots of loving to make any or all fit properly. Take my present engine it has 2 different sets of mains and 2 different sets of rod bearings to get the clearances I wanted with a little loving on them also.

Bearings are like Camshafts one that work great in one engine is total crap for another.

No two crank grinders can make the same diameter journals, now they can get really close but metal is hard to predict on how it is going to grind and make correct...because of metal hardness and forging characteristics.

I hope this make sense
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick January 1st 2013, 1:10 pm

Frank, I think it's simple. In most cases, "Call Lem" or "Call Randy" or Call Rich", etc., etc....is just the best answer that most members can offer. Just be grateful that these guys are all trying to steer you away from the countless woes and wasted dough that most hotrodders and racers would call "normal".

On another note, I for one, do not save every box or record every part number that I use...My memory ain't that good, either. But that info is always at the fingertips of the guys who sell that stuff.

Happy New Year to you and all who live here.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum