BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

F-250's with 6.2 L Gas

+13
IDT-572
83-88T-Bird Guy
QtrWarrior
Bsherry
richter69
powerstrokeace
Lem Evans
bruno
dfree383
bbf-falcon
schmitty
69F100
512Fairlane
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

F-250's with 6.2 L Gas - Page 2 Empty Re: F-250's with 6.2 L Gas

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy March 31st 2013, 12:50 pm

dfree383 wrote:Picked up a new F250 with a 6.2 gasser from Lem, pulled a new enclosed trailer / dragster from Ky to Ga and an open trailer with my merc from pa to ga. Pulled fine.

Got about 8-9 mpg with the enclosed, 11-12 with the open and 15-16 not towing.

It has 3.73s and 18" wheels and tires.

^^ Good to know.

I am searching for a 2012-2013 6.2L Super Duty.
We have a bunch of the 6.7 Super Duties @ work, and they have plenty of power, but boy are the maintenance cost high.
That 6.2 gasser from everything I have read so far is a dandy engine. So are the 6 speed automatics. Wink

My 84 cc 460 gets 8.5 mpg towing my 7500 lb. enclosed.
However it only gets 9.5 mpg empty. Crying or Very sad
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 March 31st 2013, 1:37 pm

QtrWarrior wrote:
bbf-falcon wrote:
69F100 wrote:The production manager at work has the 6.2 he also has a f250 with the 7.3 powerstroke said it pulls as good as the 7.3 does.But he said the gas milage really sucks on it only 12mpg empty about 9 pulling.

His 7.3 must have needed a tuneup fosho.

X2

My '99 does about 17-18 empty and 10-12 pulling ( depending on the right foot Cool )

No that the mpg was what he get from his 6.2 rap not the 7.3 he said it gets better but the 6.2 pulls like the 7.3
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 March 31st 2013, 4:04 pm

richter69 wrote:man I love my paid for 7.3.......... best damn truck ever made. Razz

X2
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney March 31st 2013, 7:29 pm

If your going to tow recreationally and just daily drive it the gas is just fine. If your gonna put 20k plus behind it for 600 miles a day and don't trust an older 7.3 and want modern stuff like blue tooth navigation and power and fuel mileage then get a lml Duramax. I put 10000 loaded miles a month on mine and it doesnt even flinch. Gets 11-13 loaded with 20k and 20-22 on the rare occassion its empty. I don't think the diesel maintenance is much worse if performed yourself . You have to change oil, rotate tires, fuel filters, and trans services on gas too.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty March 31st 2013, 10:11 pm

11-13 loaded, and 20+ empty, I call BS, my brother has like 30 of the Duramax's in his fleet from CC shortbox HD2500's to HD3500 duallies, and they are doing lots of towing and empty miles depending on which truck, and they don't get close to that. More like mid teens empty, and around 10 loaded. He keeps records on all of them, and quite a few Cummins also. He has been buying some new 6.7 Fords now to test them, and they are just a little better than the Cummins and Duramax. He has a few gas engines in the fleet too for some of the guys and they do cost about the same average maintenance wise, because oil change intervals favor the diesel's, but overall cost/mile favors the gas engines. I say this is still America, so go buy what you want.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 31st 2013, 10:26 pm

The kids got a duramax, that thing is one big pile of shit.........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield March 31st 2013, 10:32 pm

[quote="richter69"]The kids got a duramax, that thing is one big pile of shit.........[/quo

Amen Have a 07 now for its 3rd trans that is a low mileage garage kept pos . Allison 6 speed greatest trans on earth ! Evil or Very Mad
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty March 31st 2013, 10:40 pm

The only 6.2L Ford that I can speak intelligently about is one my neighbor just bought, and he loves it. It's an extended cab 250 longbox and he says 10 or so with his stock trailer, and on a good day about 14-16 down the road. Good enough power to pull a 20' stock trailer with cattle. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney March 31st 2013, 11:13 pm

[quote="whitefield"]
richter69 wrote:The kids got a duramax, that thing is one big pile of shit.........[/quo

Amen Have a 07 now for its 3rd trans that is a low mileage garage kept pos . Allison 6 speed greatest trans on earth ! Evil or Very Mad
I guess mines unique then 70000 miles, almost all towing in 6 months z ero problems. Very few long haulers use fords. Kostly Dodges and Gms I could show you dozens of Duramaxes with over 500000 miles on their original junk Allisons so if you've burnt up 3 your doing something wrong. Let me guess youve got a super kick ass programmer on it... hell even the ram guys seem to keep a tranny together better than that and they will tell you their junk so the problem has to be you. I am willing to bet few on here work a truck as hard as I do daily. And aside from Jon wih the Fords is around as many diesels as I have been in the last year. Fact of the matter is all three are pretty capable and have their pros and cons. A 2wheel drive 6 speed manuwl 5.9 dodge will profit the most of all of them in its lifetime if you can put up with the rattles shitty ride anr basically crappy build quality. The fords seem great for ranch construction and oil field work, but wear out tires quickly and don't seem to be prefered in long highway stuff. The Gms suck in field work or off road rough stuff but ride like butter on the highway and the 12 and thirteens will tow ANYTHING ANY distance and not beat you up or eat a ton of fuel. The 7.3s are great but theyre loud and rattly and nobody wants to travel the lower 48 and cwnqdq in a ten year old truck for the sake of brand loyalty. The 6.7s seem pretty goodand I run with a guy with a 12 with 180000 on it and hasn't had any issues except tire wear. The first set lasted 45000 all highway mainly because ford uses cheap generals and can't do a 6 tire rotations with aluminum wheels and the fronts get ate up with the weight we carry. Not to mention his particular truck seems to sag a lot in the rear. The sa mm e weight barely levels out my Chevy. I also think ford overrates the power on the 6.7 a bit becaus when we go through the rockies if I stay at 67 he can't keep up and I always have to slow down. Bear in mind this is with 22-24k in tow, but I figured he would be right there in the mirrors and he seldom it on hills or wind.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield April 1st 2013, 7:33 pm

[quote="Barney"]
whitefield wrote:
richter69 wrote:The kids got a duramax, that thing is one big pile of shit.........[/quo

I guess mines unique then 70000 miles, almost all towing in 6 months z ero problems. Very few long haulers use fords. Kostly Dodges and Gms I could show you dozens of Duramaxes with over 500000 miles on their original junk Allisons so if you've burnt up 3 your doing something wrong. Let me guess youve got a super kick ass programmer on it... hell even the ram guys seem to keep a tranny together better than that and they will tell you their junk so the problem has to be you. I am willing to bet few on here work a truck as hard as I do daily. And aside from Jon wih the Fords is around as many diesels as I have been in the last year. Fact of the matter is all three are pretty capable and have their pros and cons. A 2wheel drive 6 speed manuwl 5.9 dodge will profit the most of all of them in its lifetime if you can put up with the rattles shitty ride anr basically crappy build quality. The fords seem great for ranch construction and oil field work, but wear out tires quickly and don't seem to be prefered in long highway stuff. The Gms suck in field work or off road rough stuff but ride like butter on the highway and the 12 and thirteens will tow ANYTHING ANY distance and not beat you up or eat a ton of fuel. The 7.3s are great but theyre loud and rattly and nobody wants to travel the lower 48 and cwnqdq in a ten year old truck for the sake of brand loyalty. The 6.7s seem pretty goodand I run with a guy with a 12 with 180000 on it and hasn't had any issues except tire wear. The first set lasted 45000 all highway mainly because ford uses cheap generals and can't do a 6 tire rotations with aluminum wheels and the fronts get ate up with the weight we carry. Not to mention his particular truck seems to sag a lot in the rear. The sa mm e weight barely levels out my Chevy. I also think ford overrates the power on the 6.7 a bit becaus when we go through the rockies if I stay at 67 he can't keep up and I always have to slow down. Bear in mind this is with 22-24k in tow, but I figured he would be right there in the mirrors and he seldom it on hills or wind.
Not going to argue with you as I don't own and won't own a chevy product and I do agree with some of what you have stated ! I just know what I see in my neck of the woods and what roles in and out my shop doors. I also know what 90% of the farmers and Nursery men use and that is a Dodge or a Ford . I also know weather it is turned up or not the Allison cost a lot more to build weather it is stock or performance build. like I always say buying a chevy is like buying and import it is either pay me now or pay me later. These nursery men and cattle farmers do alot of road miles as well as around town so to speak driving with multiple drivers and driving styles. you must have one bad and fast duramax if that 6.7 Ford can't keep up with you. I ran one with my old Tony wild man chip and exhaust 7.3 and on top end he new with nothing done to it off the lot 6.7 ate my lunch. My truck is not a slouch! And to answere you yes this Duramax is turned up! In my opinion long hauling isn't a true test of a truck ! I have a gas burner that has nearly 300,000 on it and is all of what ford put in it engine and transmission wise fuel pump ect . It gets drove everyday to work haules lawn mowers sod race car and trucks to the shop to work on so let me know what you think when you really use it like a truck. It's is fact of what i have stated and at the end of the day it's your coin to spend.
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 April 1st 2013, 8:35 pm

I aint readin all that, I trust my 7.3 a hell of a lot more than any of these others including the new ones, plus if by chance it does laydown on me I can repair it on the side of the road without the aid of an IDS or a lift for the cab lol.

Im just not impressed with his duramax, the truck in general is a rattletrap and it aint got but like 40k on it.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney April 2nd 2013, 12:04 am

There's goid and bad in all of them. Gas diesel chevy ford. After 72009 miles. Loaded in my opinion its a pretty decent truck. Not fancy but never complains.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney April 2nd 2013, 10:52 am

[quote="whitefield"]
Barney wrote:
whitefield wrote:

Not going to argue with you as I don't own and won't own a chevy product and I do agree with some of what you have stated ! I just know what I see in my neck of the woods and what roles in and out my shop doors. I also know what 90% of the farmers and Nursery men use and that is a Dodge or a Ford . I also know weather it is turned up or not the Allison cost a lot more to build weather it is stock or performance build. like I always say buying a chevy is like buying and import it is either pay me now or pay me later. These nursery men and cattle farmers do alot of road miles as well as around town so to speak driving with multiple drivers and driving styles. you must have one bad and fast duramax if that 6.7 Ford can't keep up with you. I ran one with my old Tony wild man chip and exhaust 7.3 and on top end he new with nothing done to it off the lot 6.7 ate my lunch. My truck is not a slouch! And to answere you yes this Duramax is turned up! In my opinion long hauling isn't a true test of a truck ! I have a gas burner that has nearly 300,000 on it and is all of what ford put in it engine and transmission wise fuel pump ect . It gets drove everyday to work haules lawn mowers sod race car and trucks to the shop to work on so let me know what you think when you really use it like a truck. It's is fact of what i have stated and at the end of the day it's your coin to spend.
not a true test? Most people buy a Dually to tow with. I pull a 53 foot Big Tex wedge that weighs 8000 lbs empty and I've had everything from 4 cargo trailers to 3 1 tons on it, basivally anything that can be rolled or winched onto it has been. Its been as heavy as 31000 pounds. Most days it sees 5-6 hundred miles and runs 10-12 hours a day. I've been everywhere in the lower 48 and 3 provinces in canada. ANYTHING can haul a couple cattle around for a few hundred miles or haul around a welding unit. Pull 30k up yrockies at a 7 percent grade at 65 mph without downshifting once with your 7.3. If that doesn't "test" a truck in your mind then they don't build a truck that would ever satisfy you. The only thing that concerns me with the newer trucks is all the electronics. Hell they probly have a sensor that can tell you how many times the seats have been farted in.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  pipedobber April 2nd 2013, 9:54 pm

You've obviously never "hauled around a welding unit". I can tell you that we don't lay pipe down an asphalt highway. I work my 6.7 everyday alongside 4 '11 duraturds and they all have had to be deleted to stay out of the shop.

pipedobber
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney April 2nd 2013, 10:32 pm

pipedobber wrote:You've obviously never "hauled around a welding unit". I can tell you that we don't lay pipe down an asphalt highway. I work my 6.7 everyday alongside 4 '11 duraturds and they all have had to be deleted to stay out of the shop.
yep the 07-11s had all kinds of emission equipment problems. The 12-13s aren't even the same system. Ihavent had any problems with mine save for def tank freeze up in canada.I'm still gonna delete mine when warraty is up just for the sake of mileage along with the egr. The 6.7s seem fine atleast all of them ive been around. Like i said I don't go in fields if I end up in a field somethings wrong and I've got some explaning to do.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty April 2nd 2013, 11:12 pm

Not sure if there are any delete kits out there now, H&S was shut down. I got the last delete kit in captivity for the Ford, and that was last year.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield April 2nd 2013, 11:21 pm

Barney wrote:
pipedobber wrote:You've obviously never "hauled around a welding unit". I can tell you that we don't lay pipe down an asphalt highway. I work my 6.7 everyday alongside 4 '11 duraturds and they all have had to be deleted to stay out of the shop.
yep the 07-11s had all kinds of emission equipment problems. The 12-13s aren't even the same system. Ihavent had any problems with mine save for def tank freeze up in canada.I'm still gonna delete mine when warraty is up just for the sake of mileage along with the egr. The 6.7s seem fine atleast all of them ive been around. Like i said I don't go in fields if I end up in a field somethings wrong and I've got some explaning to do.

You are Right they are good and bad in all of them and we could go on argueuing about it, but the fact still remains you like your duramax and I like my Fords. One other not they still had injector problems fuel rail and lines along with fuel pumps going bad at less than 40,000 miles . the allisons in that same truck has it's issuse Too! good luck with your truck Cool
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney April 3rd 2013, 12:06 am

whitefield wrote:
Barney wrote:

You are Right they are good and bad in all of them and we could go on argueuing about it, but the fact still remains you like your duramax and I like my Fords. One other not they still had injector problems fuel rail and lines along with fuel pumps going bad at less than 40,000 miles . the allisons in that same truck has it's issuse Too! good luck with your truck Cool
I will say the objectively. I ran from Middlebury In to Salt Lake with a guy with a 12 6.7 it was 2700 miles round trip. We both had 3 cargo trailer that on top of our trailers were 13 ft 4 in high with a fairly stiff head wind. His was a xlt with cloth and similar to mine option wise. During the trip we were within .2 mpg gallon of each other . We both had to stop for fuel within 5 miles of each other and both used almost exactly the same amount of fuel. We ran consistantly at 67 mph with the exeption of the timeshe dropped back Iin the mountains. I dontvknow if he dropped back by choice or not I didn't ask he always caught back up. Theyre really about as comparable as could be in almost everthing. I would have gladly purchased a Ford had any of the three dealerships I went to been a little more friendly. The deciding factor was the 13 grand less I spent on the Chevy. I didn't look or price any Dodges since Im not a fan of the 6.7 Cummins and I didn't want a used 5.9 so I just skipped them altogether. I haven't seen or heard of any issues with either of the newer Duramaxes or Powerstrokes that seem common or reoccurring and both seem to have addressed areas of improvements in recent years. As far as the op regarding the 6.2 I'm sure they have plenty of sauce for hauling a race car around, and unless you gotta have a diesel will probly save you some money. Hell I used to tow with a 5.4 excursion and other than being slow it did just fine so I'm sure the 6.2 would kick the crap out of it.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney April 3rd 2013, 12:26 am

schmitty wrote:Not sure if there are any delete kits out there now, H&S was shut down. I got the last delete kit in captivity for the Ford, and that was last year.
idk. My only other pause would be the DOT. Theres all kinds of rumors of huge fines for commercial vehicles and dpf def deletes. Especially out west. Its stupid anyway considering all the crap gets burned and bliwn out during regen anyway and all egrs do is make your oil dirty. The Dodge guys have it real bad with passive regens and no def the dpfs are only lasting 70-90k and at 1500 bucks it kinda kick the maintenance costs waaay up. Its like having to buy tires everytime that bitch needs replaced. Big trucks have dpfs that can be removed and cleaned instead of replaced I winder if that will eventually trickle down to the little trucks.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty April 3rd 2013, 8:44 am

Yep, if you run commercial plates, the DOT will plug you in and if the emmisions is deleted, you will get a nasty ticket
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  stangr8cr April 3rd 2013, 8:51 am

schmitty wrote:Not sure if there are any delete kits out there now, H&S was shut down. I got the last delete kit in captivity for the Ford, and that was last year.

There are some more to be had. As they recently became available, I thought real hard but went with the Mini Maxx Street Tuner. I literally just installed it last night and haven't run her yet but I will here shortly Twisted Evil
If it weren't for emissions here, I would have went the race tuner route with deletes. I'm not swapping exhaust yearly, not for what little I drive anyway. If anyone is looking for them, Snyder Performance Engineering still have some as of yesterday. As you said though Rob, when they're gone that's it. Lots of paperwork for the "high sulfur" tunes, and an over 30k fine if found operating a registered vehicle with said tunes.

Boo Boo
stangr8cr
stangr8cr
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: