BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any other ideas on steering outside the hydro

+4
digger460
cool40
schmitty
79Puller
8 posters

Go down

Any other ideas on steering outside the hydro Empty Any other ideas on steering outside the hydro

Post  79Puller January 21st 2013, 8:24 pm

I posted and asked about the hydro steering, but before I buy that is there any other idea's out there to use. Does anyone use a manual box ? Just looking for any other ideas.

79Puller

Back to top Go down

Any other ideas on steering outside the hydro Empty Re: Any other ideas on steering outside the hydro

Post  schmitty January 21st 2013, 11:44 pm

I'm using a full hydro off of a combine, works great, and I wouldn't use anything else after doing it. No steering shaft to get in the way of headers, and you can mount it all where ever you want. If you want the wheel on the passenger side, you can do it. Laughing
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Any other ideas on steering outside the hydro Empty Re: Any other ideas on steering outside the hydro

Post  cool40 January 22nd 2013, 1:19 am

schmitty wrote:I'm using a full hydro off of a combine, works great, and I wouldn't use anything else after doing it. No steering shaft to get in the way of headers, and you can mount it all where ever you want. If you want the wheel on the passenger side, you can do it. Laughing
is your setup electric hyd?
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  digger460 January 22nd 2013, 5:47 pm

I have elec. hydro steering into the steering box and works great. I'm not sure you can steer the truck with a full hydro if the motor is not running.
digger460
digger460

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty January 22nd 2013, 11:27 pm

cool40 wrote:
schmitty wrote:I'm using a full hydro off of a combine, works great, and I wouldn't use anything else after doing it. No steering shaft to get in the way of headers, and you can mount it all where ever you want. If you want the wheel on the passenger side, you can do it. Laughing
is your setup electric hyd?

Lee, mine has an engine driven pump, but an electric/hydraulic would work fine too. All it needs is some sort of pump to make it work. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Any other ideas on steering outside the hydro Empty electric pump

Post  samiam January 23rd 2013, 5:58 pm

79Puller wrote:I posted and asked about the hydro steering, but before I buy that is there any other idea's out there to use. Does anyone use a manual box ? Just looking for any other ideas.

Any other ideas on steering outside the hydro IMG_3154 this is a electric pump out of a toyo mr2, plumbed straight into my box, works great, does draw some amps so I do run a alternator instead of charging bats at the events
Any other ideas on steering outside the hydro IMG_3155 from the front.. fluid tank....

Last edited by samiam on January 23rd 2013, 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more pics)
samiam
samiam

Back to top Go down

Post  FORDIN January 23rd 2013, 8:39 pm

if you do not want to go full hydro steering, or electric, then you always could just port your stock box and run lines to a ram. i use stock 79 f150 box, a ram i had lying around off my friends combine,a saginaw pump with a spring trick for more flow(pressure),and a cooler. it moves my 44 inch tires easily whether buried in mud or all the weight on them. this was just a cheap thought. i have about a hundred bucks into it after napa made my lines.
FORDIN
FORDIN

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 January 23rd 2013, 9:09 pm

On my old mud truck(78 F-150) we installed a manual steering gearbox off an early box body bronco and I loved it as long as your moving drive with one hand and still not to bad when sitting still.
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  79Puller January 23rd 2013, 10:13 pm

Do the early bronco boxs but in or does it require alot of fab work. The MR 2 setup looks nice also.

79Puller

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 January 24th 2013, 1:48 pm

All I did to mount the box was slide it forward from the original holes and drill 3 new mounting hole in the frame as the manual boxes the pitman arm points to the rear of the vehicle and the power boxes point to the front, I also installed a 4 inch drop pitman arm to keep from hitting the track bar mount because my cage wouldnt allow moving the box far enough forward. Only other fabwork is to lengthen the steering shaft from column to box, spline counts on the shafts were the same on the two box body boxes I had.
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  sandvipr January 28th 2013, 9:56 pm

Fyll hydro is great if you are running large tires and are locked in the front. Outside of that, there's manual, hydro assist, or just run a higher-output Saginaw pump.
What's your application?
sandvipr
sandvipr

Back to top Go down

Post  79Puller January 29th 2013, 10:59 am

Pro Street puller, like the idea of the bronco manual deal but got another week or two before I start on it

79Puller

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty January 29th 2013, 11:32 am

Another idea to help if you want manual, is put a steering quickener in backwards for more reduction
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  79Puller January 29th 2013, 12:48 pm

Not familier with that, do you have a brand or part number and is the bronco manual the only one out there that works, so I can start finding parts

79Puller

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty January 29th 2013, 1:08 pm

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Howe-21-Steering-Quickener-Heavy-Duty,7732.html
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  79Puller February 1st 2013, 9:38 am

Thanks for all the info

79Puller

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down