BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

eliminator block oil restricting

+2
c.evans
cool40
6 posters

Go down

eliminator block oil restricting Empty eliminator block oil restricting

Post  cool40 May 27th 2013, 11:00 pm

i had a piston to head issue take a bearing out of my 605 this weekend and found another problem,i think Suspect .the lifter oiling is restricted with a 1/4"plug behind the other plug.i did drill the little .060 or so hole in it and got all kinds of oil up top which aint realy been a problem.now that i got it out and back down to clean all the bearing stuff out i took all the plugs out and noticed as i sprayed out the holes that the rear main is made just like the front.the priority oil galley is drilled all the way through into the lifter galley so....it needs a plug in the back too? a plug in front and no plug in back dont restrict the top as i see it.i dont see how the oil psi would check any different at the back than the front as i've read but not tried confused discuss..............
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

eliminator block oil restricting Empty Re: eliminator block oil restricting

Post  c.evans May 27th 2013, 11:25 pm

If my memory is correct, Lem was talking about this the other day. Apparently there are some Eliminator blocks out there, where the individual main galleys are drilled all the way through the priority oil galley and on into the lifter oil galley. So, at this point I would check it out and see if #2, #3, and #4 go on up into the lifter galley. If so, then the orfices in the restrictor plugs are essentially useless.

Uncle Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 May 27th 2013, 11:33 pm

c.evans wrote:If my memory is correct, Lem was talking about this the other day. Apparently there are some Eliminator blocks out there, where the individual main galleys are drilled all the way through the priority oil galley and on into the lifter oil galley. So, at this point I would check it out and see if #2, #3, and #4 go on up into the lifter galley. If so, then the orfices in the restrictor plugs are essentially useless.

Uncle Charlie
i'll look again but i think it's just the #1 and #5. this makes me think some of my psi trouble at shut down could be related. Suspect
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans May 27th 2013, 11:57 pm

c.evans wrote:If my memory is correct, Lem was talking about this the other day. Apparently there are some Eliminator blocks out there, where the individual main galleys are drilled all the way through the priority oil galley and on into the lifter oil galley. So, at this point I would check it out and see if #2, #3, and #4 go on up into the lifter galley. If so, then the orfices in the restrictor plugs are essentially useless.

Uncle Charlie

That's not what he is addressing but, he should look at that issue too.

His issue is that some Elim. blocks...maybe all later blocks have the upper and lower gallerys connected at the rear unlike the early units....the A460 blocks are connected at the rear.

That being the case, the rear needs a plug in it also or there is no restriction of oil to the lifter gallery.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 May 28th 2013, 12:24 am

Lem Evans wrote:

Uncle Charlie

His issue is that some Elim. blocks...maybe all later blocks have the upper and lower gallerys connected at the rear unlike the early units....the A460 blocks are connected at the rear.

That being the case, the rear needs a plug in it also or there is no restriction of oil to the lifter gallery.

thats how i see it.i'll plug the back and see how it does. Wink
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans May 28th 2013, 12:58 am

Your bearings, crank and rods will be grateful.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH May 28th 2013, 9:20 am

Lem Evans wrote:

Uncle Charlie

the first few/run of blocks done by LMS were drilled into the lifter feed.

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans May 28th 2013, 7:23 pm

DanH,

Good info. Is there any way for the Average Joe to identify which blocks these may be,,,,,,by external markings??

Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 May 28th 2013, 9:12 pm

c.evans wrote:DanH,

Good info. Is there any way for the Average Joe to identify which blocks these may be,,,,,,by external markings??

Charlie Evans
That would be good to know.i should'nt have missed it Rolling Eyes
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans May 28th 2013, 9:47 pm

cool40 wrote:
c.evans wrote:DanH,

Charlie Evans
That would be good to know.i should'nt have missed it Rolling Eyes

At the end of the day us guys that put things together have gotta catch stuff like that. But it'd be cool if those that had info about a material matter like this would have shared before now....Please refer to my post about the lack of oiling with the Morel lifters .

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj May 28th 2013, 11:29 pm

Engine building is an exercise in eyeballing everything Suspect

One neat trick I was shown years ago was to put the block in the solvent tank. Hook up a hose to the solvent pump and put the other end of the hose up to the oil passage feed. Gives a good visual of where the oil is going and if it is restricted. We caught a brand new Dart SBC block not feeding oil to one of the mains. Turned out was a broken drill in the main feed passage.

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. May 29th 2013, 6:04 am

Good idea.

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down