BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

compression ratio ????

3 posters

Go down

compression ratio ???? Empty compression ratio ????

Post  74f100 June 6th 2013, 10:10 pm

i have a friend with a 73 460 with d3ve heads and some speed pro cast pistons part#h582cp
was wondering what com ratio may be with them there a dish piston small dish from stock i know the heads are closed chamber and if he could find a set of c9 c8 or dov he could get more compression but thats what hes got thanks guys
74f100
74f100

Back to top Go down

compression ratio ???? Empty Re: compression ratio ????

Post  austin460 June 21st 2013, 12:33 pm

You need to cc the heads and find the piston volume (stock cast heads can vary in cc quite a bit), you will also need deck height, bore size  and head gasket thickness when compressed. there are plenty of calculators on the net when you have these.  I like this one: 

http://www.kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=comp

I had a quick look at the pistons under that part number to do a guesstimate  but could not find the piston volume.
austin460
austin460

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane June 21st 2013, 1:38 pm

74f100 wrote:i have a friend with a 73 460 with d3ve heads and some speed pro cast pistons part#h582cp
was wondering what com ratio may be with them there a dish piston small dish from stock i know the heads are closed chamber and if he could find a set of c9 c8 or dov he could get more compression but thats what hes got  thanks guys

Assuming no other changes in the engine except overbore 0.030" and re-assemble, about 9:1.  Swap out the D3's for an early-style head and compression will increase to about 10.6:1.

Paul

P.S.: Assuming further engine "optimization" during the rebuild, the compression ratio could be as much as 0.50-0.75 higher.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum