BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pressure testing coolant system

2 posters

Go down

Pressure testing coolant system Empty Pressure testing coolant system

Post  jasonf June 30th 2013, 5:37 pm

My daughters stock 93 lx 5.0l auto car has always used antifreeze since we bought it 6 years ago. It was always a small amount so I never worried about it but lately it has increased considerably. I picked up a Motorad TM300 tester today and checked the cap, it tested good to 16 psi like it should. I then tested the coolant system and by the time I got to 14 psi it was falling off as fast as I could pump. It would drop down to 8 psi in a 4-5 seconds then at a much slower rate. There has never been any puddles or leaks I can find. I also started the car when it was at 8 psi to see if it would pressure up. My logic was if it was a head gasket I should see some pressure spikes but the needle was steady.

I was going to pull the plugs out tonight and see if I can see a wet plug or any signs of water. After that I have no idea what to do besides start to pull the intake off looking for a leak.

Any suggestions?
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Pressure testing coolant system Empty Re: Pressure testing coolant system

Post  GTmustang June 30th 2013, 5:59 pm

If the head gasket is leaking internally, you can usually tell by checking the tailpipes. If you wipe your finger inside the tip and it comes out clean instead of sooty, you'll know it's a blown head gasket aand should be able to tell which side is bad.
Gary

GTmustang
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum