BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Victor 460 Rear bungs for water exit

4 posters

Go down

Victor 460 Rear bungs for water exit Empty Victor 460 Rear bungs for water exit

Post  HorsinAround July 1st 2013, 2:09 pm

Need some advice. I have a victor 460 intake that I am going to run on a filled block. I am wanting to run water through the heads, so I drilled passages in the hard blok at the front of the block so I can use a pump in the stock location. Now I need to get an exit for the water at the rear of the heads, and was looking at either drilling and tapping the victor at the rear where the cross over passages are on the heads.
Question is, the flange is only about a 1/2-5/8" thick so can they be drilled and tapped for 3/8" or 1/2" npt? Or could a bung be welded in without warping the flange? Is there a better way to accomplish this?

The heads are a set of old style A429 aluminum cobra jets.

Thanks
Alan
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Victor 460 Rear bungs for water exit Empty Re: Victor 460 Rear bungs for water exit

Post  c.evans July 1st 2013, 5:31 pm

HorsinAround wrote:Need some advice. I have a victor 460 intake that I am going to run on a filled block. I am wanting to run water through the heads, so I drilled passages in the hard blok at the front of the block so I can use a pump in the stock location. Now I need to get an exit for the water at the rear of the heads, and was looking at either drilling and tapping the victor at the rear where the cross over passages are on the heads.
Question is, the flange is only about a 1/2-5/8" thick so can they be drilled and tapped for 3/8" or 1/2" npt? Or could a bung be welded in without warping the flange? Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Thanks
Alan

Alan,

It sounds like you are going to need to reverse your head gaskets, in other words put that water opening at the front of the block, not the back of the block,,,,,in order to send the water through the heads.

Then if I were you, I'd just reverse your intake manifold, and put the water crossover/water neck at the rear of the engine. You are going to be doing what we call single pass cooling through the heads only. Make up a long radiator hose to bring the water back to the front of the engine and the radiator.

Hope this helps,
Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Victor 460 Rear bungs for water exit Empty Re: Victor 460 Rear bungs for water exit

Post  richter69 July 1st 2013, 7:04 pm

thats what you'll have to do, easier to leave the fill below the deck and give it some room for the water....
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy July 1st 2013, 8:10 pm

HorsinAround wrote:Need some advice. I have a victor 460 intake that I am going to run on a filled block. I am wanting to run water through the heads, so I drilled passages in the hard blok at the front of the block so I can use a pump in the stock location. Now I need to get an exit for the water at the rear of the heads, and was looking at either drilling and tapping the victor at the rear where the cross over passages are on the heads.

Thanks
Alan

You have drilled passages in the Hard Block for the water pump locations but, how does the water get from there to the inside front of the heads...?

Reversing the head gaskets would do a lot but, they would need to have that squarish water passage, (now in the front instead of the rear), opened further so that water passage at the front of the block can pass enough water to the head. By the way, just for others reading this, that transfer water passage in the front of the block is not even there in an A460 block.
Running the intake manifold backwards is simple 'cause it will fit BOTH ways.

As has been said, it will save a whole lot of headaches if the fill only goes up a half inch from the inside deck surface to be able to pass water..

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans July 2nd 2013, 5:22 pm

Alan,

Another option,,,, and maybe the best option,,,,is to sell your Victor intake manifold and buy a TFS Mafia intake manifold. It has the rear water bungs already cast into the manifold.

Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround July 3rd 2013, 1:32 pm

Thanks for the advice that is what I was needing!

Charlie, I REALLY want to get another mafia intake, but don't have the budget for it right now. Since putting the intake on is not a huge priority right now, it sounds like that would be the best way to go for both water flow AND performance.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down