BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crank oil scraper

2 posters

Go down

Crank oil scraper Empty Crank oil scraper

Post  JBR-3 July 27th 2013, 3:12 pm

Last edited by JBR-3 on February 22nd 2020, 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

JBR-3

Back to top Go down

Crank oil scraper Empty Re: Crank oil scraper

Post  rmcomprandy July 27th 2013, 7:22 pm

JBR-3 wrote:The thought ocurred to me to use a main cap girdle of some sort, not as a cap strengthener,
but to use as a structure on which to bolt an oil scraper for the crank. The scraper could be done
as a one-piece or several smaller sections. Seems to me that doing it this way, you could easily
check your work for tight fit to the crank/rods while you are fabbing it up.
This would also take some complexity out of the pan itself.

I'm sure this has been done, I've just never read about it. I wanted to ask if anyone here has done this.
What would be some pros and cons of doing it this way, taking the "scraper function" out of the pan ?

If using a conventional bolt-on oil pump, I can see that you might need to fab a pickup tube.
Maybe you would see more benefit with an external pump.

Thanks folks!

Check out the CANTON girdle with the windage tray.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JBR-3 July 28th 2013, 12:45 am

Last edited by JBR-3 on February 22nd 2020, 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

JBR-3

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy July 28th 2013, 1:04 am

JBR-3 wrote:Thanks for that, Randy.
I guess my next question is, Do these louvered trays represent current thinking on oil
scraping ? I used to see a profiled piece of sheetmetal, bolted to the oil pan rail on the
passenger side, that looked jagged and stuck up between all the little spaces around
the rods and the crank counterweights. Is this no longer considered a good design ?

Whether it is or is not is up for debate however, if you made one it could attach to the same places that the tray would.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down