BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ok...how to not embarrass myself in a very stock truck pull

+4
HorsinAround
4speed
Dave C.
Galaxie427
8 posters

Go down

ok...how to not embarrass myself in a very stock truck pull Empty ok...how to not embarrass myself in a very stock truck pull

Post  Galaxie427 August 18th 2013, 9:12 am

So, after watching the truck pulls for the last several years, I think it's time to dominate the "bring yer own" class. My 95 crew cab is bone stock and frankly quite lame (460 of course). My wifes only rule is to not embarrass her (and, also, don't break the truck). Does it make more sense to start in low range? E4OD, 3.55 gears, 35" BFG Muds. Does my 14' wheelbase help or hurt? What am I going to break? I gotta get a rulebook!!! Last racin' I did was Tough Truck about 15 years ago. BTW...only event for me is right in my town, so I have until next year to prep The Trophy Maker.

Galaxie427

Back to top Go down

ok...how to not embarrass myself in a very stock truck pull Empty Re: ok...how to not embarrass myself in a very stock truck pull

Post  Dave C. August 18th 2013, 11:17 am

Let her drive it. Shocked 

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

ok...how to not embarrass myself in a very stock truck pull Empty Re: ok...how to not embarrass myself in a very stock truck pull

Post  4speed August 18th 2013, 1:27 pm

low gear, low range for sure! run suspension stops in the back if your allowed also, then drive it like ya stole it!
4speed
4speed

Back to top Go down

Post  Galaxie427 August 21st 2013, 9:59 am

Sounds good. Should be fun!!

Galaxie427

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround August 21st 2013, 3:13 pm

With the auto you (she) will need to come out hard! Basically the double greens are up, slam the go fast pedal to the floor and keep it there until the red is waved.
If it starts bucking, she'll have to lift a little at a time to see if it will settle. If it won't settle, shut it down before something breaks.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 August 21st 2013, 11:20 pm

If it starts wheel hopping, he is correct, it will break something.................Twisted Evil 
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 22nd 2013, 9:22 pm

Just get a mind set that you are ur gonna have fun whether it pulls 10" or 100'. The rule boobs have taken the win factor from the fun factor these days. Just have a good time.Very Happy 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 August 23rd 2013, 9:34 am

bbf-falcon wrote:Just get a mind set that you are ur gonna have fun whether it pulls 10" or 100'. The rule boobs have taken the win factor from the fun factor these days. Just have a good time.Very Happy 
When the rules are set fair, it won't be long till the Bow Tie Babies will start to cry............. Stock oem head, stock block, 470 inch, and the Chubby's are in trouble.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround August 23rd 2013, 10:02 am

IDT-572 wrote:
bbf-falcon wrote:Just get a mind set that you are ur gonna have fun whether it pulls 10" or 100'. The rule boobs have taken the win factor from the fun factor these days. Just have a good time.Very Happy 
When the rules are set fair, it won't be long till the Bow Tie Babies will start to cry............. Stock oem head, stock block, 470 inch, and the Chubby's are in trouble.
That is for sure true enough! But, since the Fords are out numbered, You'll never see that type of rule.. lol

Rick, I know what your saying about rules taking out the fun. But let me ask you something. Have you ever had been hit by a piece of a ujoint? OR what about a sheared off axle bolt fly out and hit the person next to you? I have. And that is why I was anal about the safety rules during my tenure as president of my pulling assoc. All it will take to bury a club and the property owner is one lawsuit from a piece flying out of the vehicle.
And it was usually the stock/near stockers that were the worst because they wouldn't let off when the truck started to bounce or thought they could downshift mid track and sidestep the clutch to keep the R's up.

AP
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  4speed August 23rd 2013, 12:39 pm

We have a class here that we run with those rules. OEM head, 475 ci, stock block, 4150 carb. The Ford's do dominate that class but there's not very many chebby's in it. Fun class that doesn't take a ton of money.. YET.
4speed
4speed

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 25th 2013, 10:18 pm

Rick, I know what your saying about rules taking out the fun. But let me ask you something. Have you ever had been hit by a piece of a ujoint? OR what about a sheared off axle bolt fly out and hit the person next to you? I have. And that is why I was anal about the safety rules during my tenure as president of my pulling assoc. All it will take to bury a club and the property owner is one lawsuit from a piece flying out of the vehicle.
And it was usually the stock/near stockers that were the worst because they wouldn't let off when the truck started to bounce or thought they could downshift mid track and sidestep the clutch to keep the R's up.

AP[/quote]
Alan,Safety rules are not what i'm referring too. It's the so called stock or street rules that i'm talkin about. The trucks in the 6500 "street" class here are not for a guy w/his "street" truck. They are running $30k engines,stick tranny's that cost who knows what,3/4 ton chassies w/S10 bodies,1500# weight hangin over the front,and the list goes on. That's the rules that's ruining the sport for the beginners like the author of this thread.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 August 25th 2013, 10:32 pm

4speed wrote:We have a class here that we run with those rules. OEM head, 475 ci, stock block, 4150 carb. The Ford's do dominate that class but there's not very many chebby's in it. Fun class that doesn't take a ton of money.. YET.
Thats why there aren't many Chevys in it.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround August 26th 2013, 2:08 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:

AP
Alan,Safety rules are not what i'm referring too. It's the so called stock or street rules that i'm talkin about. The trucks in the 6500 "street" class here are not for a guy w/his "street" truck. They are running $30k engines,stick tranny's that cost who knows what,3/4 ton chassies w/S10 bodies,1500# weight hangin over the front,and the list goes on. That's the rules that's ruining the sport for the beginners like the author of this thread.[/quote]
We have a class like that mainly in Southern Indiana called cheater stock. There is no real rules other than a "gentlemans agreement" (and you know how that goes). I know for a fact that class has some 550-600+CI motors that turn some big rpm. Most of those trucks run removable weight bars so they can drop down and run in the "stock" class. Definitely ruins it for the guy that want's to show up with a daily driver.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  samiam August 27th 2013, 12:42 am

AP[/quote]Alan,Safety rules are not what i'm referring too. It's the so called stock or street rules that i'm talkin about. The trucks in the 6500 "street" class here are not for a guy w/his "street" truck. They are running $30k engines,stick tranny's that cost who knows what,3/4 ton chassies w/S10 bodies,1500# weight hangin over the front,and the list goes on. That's the rules that's ruining the sport for the beginners like the author of this thread.[/quote]We have a class like that mainly in Southern Indiana called cheater stock. There is no real rules other than a "gentlemans agreement" (and you know how that goes). I know for a fact that class has some 550-600+CI motors that turn some big rpm. Most of those trucks run removable weight bars so they can drop down and run in the "stock" class. Definitely ruins it for the guy that want's to show up with a daily driver.[/quote]...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
We also have a promoter out here who put's every one in the same class ,just by weight, and labels it Novice ,you have stocker's and street mod, and super stock all in the same class,   so  there isn't really any way a stocker has a chance.. does take all the fun out of it for sure
samiam
samiam

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy September 1st 2013, 5:05 pm

The only time I ever go to any pulling events is in the fall at Bowling Green, Ohio because,
It is only a couple hours from here.
The street truck classes there are required that they be licensed and fully equipped for street/highway duty with DOT approved tires and hitch height was the big thing everyone was concerned about.
I am sure there are true competition only vehicles in there but, at least the attempt is made to balance the playing field.
I don't know much about the rules of those things but, they are fun to watch.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 2nd 2013, 1:44 am

[quote="rmcomprandy"
The street truck classes there are required that they be licensed and fully equipped for street/highway duty with DOT approved tires and hitch height was the big thing everyone was concerned about.

If they would enforce that rule for the beginners it would help and also get more guys in the beginners classes. jmo

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down