BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stock Rod Weight

4 posters

Go down

Stock Rod Weight Empty Stock Rod Weight

Post  bb429power December 10th 2013, 11:15 pm

Does anyone know off hand what the rough weight of a stock 6.605 car rod is? I ground the casting lines down on mine and have ARP bolts installed so I know the numbers will be off. My reason for asking is that I want to get a better set of rods designed for higher horsepower, and I want to know if I can find any close to the stock rod weight that I can have balanced without having to re balance everything else.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Stock Rod Weight Empty Re: Stock Rod Weight

Post  supervel45 December 11th 2013, 12:30 am

If you find one the same weight, I think the big end and small end have to match the old rods also. Are you changing pistons to?

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power December 11th 2013, 4:26 pm

I only want to change the rods out, as they are my weak link.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane December 12th 2013, 11:18 am

bb429power wrote:Does anyone know off hand what the rough weight of a stock 6.605 car rod is...ground the casting lines down on mine and have ARP bolts installed...
After being prepped to the state that yours are prepped, about 775+/- grams.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power December 19th 2013, 12:13 pm

Paul Kane wrote:
bb429power wrote:Does anyone know off hand what the rough weight of a stock 6.605 car rod is...ground the casting lines down on mine and have ARP bolts installed...
After being prepped to the state that yours are prepped, about 775+/- grams.
Alright, thank you. The rods I was looking at were about 500. I'm going to look around a little more anyways.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave December 19th 2013, 12:29 pm

bb429power wrote:Does anyone know off hand what the rough weight of a stock 6.605 car rod is? I ground the casting lines down on mine and have ARP bolts installed so I know the numbers will be off. My reason for asking is that I want to get a better set of rods designed for higher horsepower, and I want to know if I can find any close to the stock rod weight that I can have balanced without having to re balance everything else.

If your in the hunt for an insurance upgrade, an inexpensive aftermarket rod will put you far ahead of where your at! Grinding the stock rod, replacing the rod bolts only directs you to further conditioning of the stock rod. Resizing and then balancing should follow. Oh did anybody mention, the work cycles the stock rod has encountered?

I applaud your effort to "prep" an OE connecting rod. Unless it is required as a rule to which your application is dedicated, save yourself time and money. Buy an aftermarket rod that fits your application.

Been there done that,
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum