BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you use for cleaning the block and head gasket surfaces ?

+8
Barry_R
D. Sea
billandlori
chuck stevens
bbf-falcon
rmcomprandy
BlueOvalDave
nuclearcobra
12 posters

Go down

What do you use for cleaning the block and head gasket surfaces ? Empty What do you use for cleaning the block and head gasket surfaces ?

Post  nuclearcobra November 3rd 2009, 9:54 am

its an iron block and heads i always wondered what other people use thats safe so as not to score the surface like a wire wheel would or maybe a scotch brite wheel would be better. I just wanted to know what the pros use especially the decks on the block and head and while i'm askin what is the prefered method for aluminum heads ?
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

What do you use for cleaning the block and head gasket surfaces ? Empty Re: What do you use for cleaning the block and head gasket surfaces ?

Post  BlueOvalDave November 3rd 2009, 10:32 am

Well, I use the roll lok pads from 3 M. They do kick off a lot of dust so I stuff the cylinders and valley and have the shop vac nozzle at the point of work. They do a good job, but I'm just a shadetree Laughing

BlueOvalDave

Back to top Go down

What do you use for cleaning the block and head gasket surfaces ? Empty Re: What do you use for cleaning the block and head gasket surfaces ?

Post  rmcomprandy November 3rd 2009, 10:47 am

There is no good, fast way ... get it wet and use some care with single edge razor blades.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 3rd 2009, 12:53 pm

I use the fine grit flapper wheels on a die grinder.Have never had any problems so far.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck stevens November 3rd 2009, 1:11 pm

I've got an oulde PROTO scraper that I've had for 50 years. It's good old USA steel and holds an edge like a razor blade. For smaller areas, I use a SHARP, small wood chisel or. a single edge razor blade. There have been, lately, several articles in the trade pubs discouraging the use of abrasives, of any sort, for cleaning gasket surfaces...ESPECIALLY Aluminum.

chuck stevens

http://E-MAIL= stevensracingent@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori November 3rd 2009, 1:16 pm

I remove the gasket stuff with a razor blade too. Then I run over it with a fine flat file. Then I put a cross hatch pattern on it with 120 grit sand paper on a hardwood block. It seems to me the gasket should bite better with a cross hatch, JMO. scratch

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea November 3rd 2009, 1:24 pm

Sharp "Snap On" scraper.

Very similar to these by craftsman

What do you use for cleaning the block and head gasket surfaces ? Gasket-scrapers
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry_R November 4th 2009, 8:09 pm

Yep. Single edge razor blades. And thinner.

Barry_R

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra November 4th 2009, 9:52 pm

nuclearcobra wrote:its an iron block and heads i always wondered what other people use thats safe so as not to score the surface like a wire wheel would or maybe a scotch brite wheel would be better. I just wanted to know what the pros use especially the decks on the block and head and while i'm askin what is the prefered method for aluminum heads ?
Thanks i guess i been doing it right all this time i been using a razor blade and a lot of cleaner untill the rag comes back clean i guess you'll never get it shiny (iron) like it is when it comes back from the machine shop.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 4th 2009, 10:13 pm

Roloc disks are a no no, on all this fine mls gasketed stuff we get to use a cleaning compound and a plastic ice scraper...............no shit.

The goop they give us usually goes in the trash, a good carbon/paint stripper in a spray can does better. Easy off oven clean works good too.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark O'Neal November 5th 2009, 1:44 pm

My youngest son..........

Mark O'Neal

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori November 6th 2009, 12:26 am

Mark O'Neal wrote:My youngest son..........

Thats classic!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug November 6th 2009, 1:00 am

I sharpen a putty knife and when everything is cleaned off I take a whit rock and dress it up to make sure it is smooth and slick...... I keep one in the tool box and only used for this reason..... it take off every nick, bump and blemishes on pan and head surfaces, when I get threw it is smooth as glass.....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  john f. November 6th 2009, 12:41 pm

I also use a razor blade but before I put on a new gasket I wipe down the surfaces with the 2x2 alcohol pads you can get at the drug store.
John F.
john f.
john f.

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori November 6th 2009, 1:57 pm

Is it better to have the surface very smooth or have a bit of "tooth" to it?

I always make sure the surface is nice and flat then put a cross hatch with a sanding block so the gasket has something to bite into.

I have even heard of folks putting center punch marks around intake ports to hold the gasket better.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug November 6th 2009, 2:53 pm

Bill the Gaskets are built out of so much better material now days compared to even 10 years ago, I have done the center punch around the intakes on a small block Chevy, but never have found the need on any others... I like the smooth surface for it gives the gasket a nice surface to seal too and easier to clean next time.....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori November 6th 2009, 5:26 pm

the Coug wrote:Bill the Gaskets are built out of so much better material now days compared to even 10 years ago, I have done the center punch around the intakes on a small block Chevy, but never have found the need on any others... I like the smooth surface for it gives the gasket a nice surface to seal too and easier to clean next time.....

Randy

Thanks Randy! I didn't want to use the "C" word but that is what I was refering to!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum